Baton Rouge crime is getting ridiculous...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Easy to miss sarcasm in a forum...surely you jest?

I am completely serious. I am not advocating drug use, but I do not think our laws affect the use of drugs-but do affect the cost of drugs and the associated crime.

You would have never heard of Al Capone if alcohol had been legal at that time.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The question has been asked, "what needs to be done?"

I'm certainly no expert. Not by any means.

I believe the police do their jobs, and do it well.

But I believe most of us would like to see an overhaul of a judicial system that has transformed our correctional facilities into lifelong daycare centers, and denied true justice for the victims & their survivors of crimes such as the one we're talking about here.

All "toughguy" talk aside- who among us honestly would not be chomping at the bits to get at the worthless, no good sonofabitch that killed our loved one?

There was a day in this country when being convicted beyond resonable doubt of a vicious murder meant swinging from the end of a rope- sooner rather than later. Not any more, Jack.

Tell me- is there any reason someone such as Derrick Todd Lee should still be breathing air on this good Earth? I can't think of any- but I'm not perfect.

I do not understand the logic behind allowing people such as this lingering in prison for 15-20 years ON THE TAXPAYERS' DIME after they are sentenced to death. Appeals, appeals, appeals, and more appeals. It's f**king ridiculous. I'd say that's a much better deal than the victims of these bastards got.

Some of them aren't scared of the death penalty? Fine. But I can guarantee you that once they are taken out forever, their days of playing the fearless killer are OVER. And that's what matters. Kill & bury them, and you don't waste any more money on them.

Nobody has a perfect plan- but IMHO, the system sucks.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The question has been asked, "what needs to be done?"

I'm certainly no expert. Not by any means.

I believe the police do their jobs, and do it well.

But I believe most of us would like to see an overhaul of a judicial system that has transformed our correctional facilities into lifelong daycare centers, and denied true justice for the victims & their survivors of crimes such as the one we're talking about here.

All "toughguy" talk aside- who among us honestly would not be chomping at the bits to get at the worthless, no good sonofabitch that killed our loved one?

There was a day in this country when being convicted beyond resonable doubt of a vicious murder meant swinging from the end of a rope- sooner rather than later. Not any more, Jack.

Tell me- is there any reason someone such as Derrick Todd Lee should still be breathing air on this good Earth? I can't think of any- but I'm not perfect.

I do not understand the logic behind allowing people such as this lingering in prison for 15-20 years ON THE TAXPAYERS' DIME after they are sentenced to death. Appeals, appeals, appeals, and more appeals. It's f**king ridiculous. I'd say that's a much better deal than the victims of these bastards got.

Some of them aren't scared of the death penalty? Fine. But I can guarantee you that once they are taken out forever, their days of playing the fearless killer are OVER. And that's what matters. Kill & bury them, and you don't waste any more money on them.

Nobody has a perfect plan- but IMHO, the system sucks.

Absolutely. If they'd simply follow Common Law - which is what our system is based upon. It's being interpreted to violate the laws of the land (and the "laws of society").

Been there; done that... it's consuming if you allow it. You have to "let it go". Trust me.

I'm not at all "religious" but I have a very strong spiritual bent. I don't find it palatable (or correct) to kill a human being unless saving the life of myself or another innocent. All of mankind's religion pretty much state the same, for whatever that's worth to you.

Yeah, they claim "they aint scared to die". A few would be that way but the majority aren't. They've lost ALL hope is what it is (I my opinion). Death is their only "escape". So I say, "DENY!" Force them to live in a system/condition they deplore; live with your conscience, if you have one or live confined and miserable. I'd wish for death over prison. I couldn't imagine living in a box with fiends and being treated like one. It takes a mighty strong person to do time. THAT I'll concede.

Then there are the issues of the judicial system that for political reasons convict some and covers for others. I'm not 100% sure of all persons in prison today and I know several who SHOULD be in prison who are not; some of them appear to be lionized by "respectable" members of society to boot.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you eliminate welfare you will eliminate alot of crime. Those who have all of this free time since they get their food stamps, rent paid for, cell phone pre paid, and a tax refund on taxes they never paid will have to become productive to make it. It might take a generation or two to straighten things out, but atleast we could try to reduce those that feel entitled to a free ride.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Another reason is because the coroner and most judges are elected positions. They run on a "law and order" platform which in realspeak equates to sending as many folks as possible to the chair. This is a great thing for people like me with property to protect. Hell! Send a message! Leave heads on pikes at every street corner! The only problem is what happens to the powerless people who get railroaded by a justice system that thrives on body-counts? When I lived in Austin, we caught the coroner in a scam in which for decades he had been giving false testimony in criminal proceedings - testimony that supported the DA. People went to death row based on the outcomes of these trials.

A whole slew of those cases were overturned immediately when the coroner got caught.

Is that what you want?

Back when our "justice system" sent people to the gallows quickly it was guys like Roy Bean (He was the law west of the Pecos.) who did so with little respect for the Bill Of Rights. The convicted guys swung the next day - not enough time for an appeal that might have exonerated them.

No, that's not what I want for my children who might join the wrong political party or own property in the footprint of a new mega-plex planned by someone powerful enough to influence a judge.

I feel in my heart the same way you do OleHeat, but when I think about what I said above, I get the chills.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How about "workfare"? You do an HONEST day's work I have little issue paying you to eat and keep a roof over your head. Just require you to take a drug test from time to time and no more pregnancies while you're on "workfare". Cleaning the medians, shoulders and cleaning up roadkill would be a start. Hell, I'd even canvass the locals for work to be done and part out the workload. They'd be too busy and tired to do much of anything.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Awesome Post

Another reason is because the coroner and most judges are elected positions. They run on a "law and order" platform which in realspeak equates to sending as many folks as possible to the chair. This is a great thing for people like me with property to protect. Hell! Send a message! Leave heads on pikes at every street corner! The only problem is what happens to the powerless people who get railroaded by a justice system that thrives on body-counts? When I lived in Austin, we caught the coroner in a scam in which for decades he had been giving false testimony in criminal proceedings - testimony that supported the DA. People went to death row based on the outcomes of these trials.

A whole slew of those cases were overturned immediately when the coroner got caught.

Is that what you want?

Back when our "justice system" sent people to the gallows quickly it was guys like Roy Bean (He was the law west of the Pecos.) who did so with little respect for the Bill Of Rights. The convicted guys swung the next day - not enough time for an appeal that might have exonerated them.

No, that's not what I want for my children who might join the wrong political party or own property in the footprint of a new mega-plex planned by someone powerful enough to influence a judge.

I feel in my heart the same way you do OleHeat, but when I think about what I said above, I get the chills.
    Outstanding points, my-rifle, and it mirrors my own beliefs!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    How about "workfare"? You do an HONEST day's work I have little issue paying you to eat and keep a roof over your head. Just require you to take a drug test from time to time and no more pregnancies while you're on "workfare". Cleaning the medians, shoulders and cleaning up roadkill would be a start. Hell, I'd even canvass the locals for work to be done and part out the workload. They'd be too busy and tired to do much of anything.

Are you kidding ? Any talk of that is labelled as racist ! :(

BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You think crime is bad now? Legalize Cocaine and see what happens.

Just curious, what would happen?

Let them score a cookie the size of an X Large pizza, go hide in the closet, and mainline it until their heart stops, then i'm not paying for jail/legal system. If an adult wants to poison his/herself, they should have the liberty to do so.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And a TOTAL waste of time. The welfare slugs are quite comfortable with not working, and have no intention to start.

Hell, look at all the "job fairs" and positions that were offered to Katricians, in Houston alone. There was practically NO interest/participation. They are parasites, were raised to believe they are OWED a "living", and continue to breed and produce further generations of entitlement mindsets; and sociopaths.

Until the rate at which they are killing each other exceeds the rate at which they are reproducing... well, we're pretty much hosed.

Where there is life there exists hope. EVERYONE who is on welfare is not a goblin. Yes, the "Welfare System" as devised is accomplishing it's goal: demoralized, "worthless" as we perceive it, criminalized, permanent underclass. They are still HUMAN BEINGS and we *MUST* show them the way or we will continue with this hellish social experiment which we ALL see as failed. I cannot just "give up" and walk away - as depressing as it is much of the time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a right to express it. I have some reservations about making drugs legal. First, it was thought that you had to have an addictive personality to become addicted. However, I have read that the more powerful drugs today can addict anyone. Second, who is to support the addicts. If one is addicted can they perform any gainful employment or will they become a burden on the taxpayer? If they cannot perform gainful employment will they not turn to a life of crime to support their habit? Third, will we have more addicts;and, therefore, have more govt tax supported treatment facilities? Who is to pay for this? It seems some European countries that had permissive policies are now backing off a bit. Fourth, what about those addicts who drive etc while under the influence and cause harm to others? All you have to do is look at MAD for answers there. Fifth, what general harm will it do our society. Will we have to mount and pay for educational campaigns to stop the now legal influence of drugs? Last, exactly where does one draw the line about who can purchase these drugs? If you say they cannot be sold on the grammar school or high school campus, then you have not really legalized them.
    Seems to me, there are too many unanswered questions that need to be answered and possible unintended consequences of such an approach. History has taught us that legalizing drugs has increased the number of addicts ( " The Ascent of Money"). Let's try to answer all the questions first before applying the solution.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Two more things I would like to briefly address. For those of you who were talking about Perry Stephens. I know him personally. He now lives out of state. I do not know where you got your information; but most of you are somewhat off track as to what actually went on. He did not " fall apart." He was an invalid when he helped the police officer and was left with no choice in the shooting. Fourteen other people stood there and watched doing nothing. Mr. Stephens does feel he received somewhat shoddy treatment from the powers that be, but none harassed him either. He spent $25,000 of his own money for legal defense. Shootings are costly.
    For the gentlemen that said, if he felt he had to have a gun, then he felt it was time to seek a new neighborhood, I suggest he look at the terrible crime that occurred in the upscale neighborhood in Connecticut a few years ago. A family was held hostage and then murdered with the father ( a Dr) being the only one escaping. Many lessons to be learned from that happening. One of which, is the old refrain of " that never happens here" is pretty false. It can happen anywhere any neighborhood.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The violent crime problem vis-a-vis illegal drugs has very little to do with the drugs themselves and their use, and everything to do with the smugglers. The distribution network is where the violent crime occurs.

Back in the 80s and early 90s I was dealing, and trust me, the consumers mostly were pretty pathetic people just dragging themselves along, while the dealers - specially up the chain - were where the violence occurred. If you didn't want to get involved in the violence - as I didn't - you had to get out of the business. Users - except for an extremely small minority - can support their habits if the prices aren't too high. Witness all those pathetic smokers out there.

A side benefit to legalizing most narcotics is it takes most of the profit out of people growing coca and cannabis for the cartels thereby drying up much of the source for the stuff.

In the short term it would be pretty bad, but after a couple years when officials learn which laws work and which ones don't the problem will solve itself.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If I have to wear a gun in my own house because I am worried about the neighborhood then it is time to start looking for a realtor to sell the house and move.

Even now, generally you don't "have" too. People carry guns in case they need it. Bad things happen to good people in good neighborhoods.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom