Baton Rouge crime is getting ridiculous...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    One of which, is the old refrain of " that never happens here" is pretty false. It can happen anywhere any neighborhood.

This is true, but I'd bet it happens in "good" neighborhoods a lot less frequently than in "bad".

Here's an analogy that might clear up my thoughts on picking a "good " neighborhood: Many of us buy new cars, so we don't have to worry about the repairs that we have to do on older cars (like mine). Why do we do this? Malfunctions happen to new and old cars, so why get a new one? The answer of course is that malfunctions are a lot less frequent in new cars. Well at least foreign-made ones.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    When you snatch all of those thugs off the street , where are you going to put them ?
    The jails are full . Hell , I don't know if they still do it here , but I can remember way back when , the BRCP Dispatcher making an announcement over the air that the jail was full . They would hold prisoners at the districts until they had room for them . Jails cost money , lot's of money . I don't know what the answer is , nobody want's to pay more taxes .

Tents like Sheriff Joe!

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Crime comes to good neighborhoods because there is more and better stuff to steal in good neighborhoods.
    Why burglarize a house in the hood that might have a thug living in it when you can target a cracker's house and probably get better stuff?
    Why try to sling drugs in the hood when you can sell to stupid white people in suburbia?

Do you think the thugs slinging drugs in the hoods have a network of planes and boats to bring the stuff in to the US? Or, maybe there are some powerful people who run the networks? Maybe those people are powerful and smart enough to employ lobbyists? So, maybe you have wealthy, powerful people who want to keep drugs illegal? The only way to break the current system will be when the real crooks figure out how to collect taxes on the stuff. Then it will be legal, cost more, and the quality will be lower. But, the wealthy, powerful people will still be cashing in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Back when our "justice system" sent people to the gallows quickly it was guys like Roy Bean (He was the law west of the Pecos.) who did so with little respect for the Bill Of Rights. The convicted guys swung the next day - not enough time for an appeal that might have exonerated them.

No, that's not what I want for my children who might join the wrong political party or own property in the footprint of a new mega-plex planned by someone powerful enough to influence a judge.

I feel in my heart the same way you do OleHeat, but when I think about what I said above, I get the chills.[/QUOTE]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Actually it was Judge Issac Parker who hung them five at time. The Law west of Fort Smith. His jail was known as " Hell on the Border."
    The Western newspaper cheered him on. The Eastern news papers said he was a best.
    Indian territory was pretty lawless.
    Sorry about the mixup. I was trying to quote My Rifle and screwed the goose!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Crime comes to good neighborhoods because there is more and better stuff to steal in good neighborhoods.
    Why burglarize a house in the hood that might have a thug living in it when you can target a cracker's house and probably get better stuff?
    Why try to sling drugs in the hood when you can sell to stupid white people in suburbia?
    Actually, not far from my parent's house I see Caucasians driving by purchasing what I believe to be cocaine or marijuana on a daily basis. I see Blacks driving by equally as well.

Who here is a local BRPD? Send me a text, please.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    The fact of the matter is that nine times out of ten homes and cars that are broken into are the ones that are the easiest to get into. Do what it takes to make it that much more difficult to get your stuff and your chances of a crime happening in your home is diminished. Of course bad things can always happen...life isn't fair.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The main reason people don't break into homes in "good" neighborhoods is they will probably get caught, and they damned well know it. More police, faster response, better neighborhood cooperation, and the likelihood that the victims of their crimes has resources to put and keep them behind bars are sufficient reasons to deter most crimes in "good" neighborhoods. Likewise the safety of the neighborhood means more people are outdoors, and that means more witnesses.

Since I live in the Greater New Orleans area, I will use a local example. In the 7th ward where a large % of the city's crime happens, killings are a regular occurrence. In the 70001 and 70005 zip codes killings are extremely uncommon. The reasons are listed above. I spent 20 years struggling to get into a "good" neighborhood, and now I live in one. I call 911 about once every two weeks to report suspicious persons, unusual and illegal activities, etc. Police cars visit my house frequently to follow up on my calls. Sometimes it's in the middle of the night. I wake up and help out any way I can. My neighbors do the same things.

This is how you keep your neighborhood safe.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The main reason people don't break into homes in "good" neighborhoods is they will probably get caught, and they damned well know it. More police, faster response, better neighborhood cooperation, and the likelihood that the victims of their crimes has resources to put and keep them behind bars are sufficient reasons to deter most crimes in "good" neighborhoods. Likewise the safety of the neighborhood means more people are outdoors, and that means more witnesses.

Since I live in the Greater New Orleans area, I will use a local example. In the 7th ward where a large % of the city's crime happens, killings are a regular occurrence. In the 70001 and 70005 zip codes killings are extremely uncommon. The reasons are listed above. I spent 20 years struggling to get into a "good" neighborhood, and now I live in one. I call 911 about once every two weeks to report suspicious persons, unusual and illegal activities, etc. Police cars visit my house frequently to follow up on my calls. Sometimes it's in the middle of the night. I wake up and help out any way I can. My neighbors do the same things.

This is how you keep your neighborhood safe.

Or, you can not live in OR NEAR a ********, and call the cops MABY 1x per year like my parents.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    dang, I guess I'm lucky. I haven't had to call the cops in the eight years we've been in this house and I'm not sure if I ever called them from the last place.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    yeah, I hear a noise and/or the dogs bark every now and then, but I've never painted anyone with the Surefire. the occasional snake or possum, but no bi-peds.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom