Baton Rouge, Drill press needed.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KeithVi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Southeast Baton Rouge
    I know it is a longshot but I figured I would try. I need to borrow the use of a drill press or beg someone to drill a #29 hole UP through an A2 FSB bayonet lug. My intentions are to thread the hole and run a allen head screw (grub screw, socket head screw) through the sight base to the bottom of the barrel.

Not recommended, I understand but this is what I want to do and it is my rifle build so please . . . .

Thank you,
    Keith
    Baton Rouge, LA 70817

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    You are doing this with the fsb off the barrel correct? I do that all the time with a hand drill. The hole is pretty close to size as is and afsb is kind of awkward to grip in a drill press vise. Since the pilot hole is there already your just reaming it anyway. I also tap it by hand. This is done to make the fsb windage adjustable for highpower competition.

KeithVi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Southeast Baton Rouge
    Drill Press

You are doing this with the fsb off the barrel correct? I do that all the time with a hand drill. The hole is pretty close to size as is and afsb is kind of awkward to grip in a drill press vise. Since the pilot hole is there already your just reaming it anyway. I also tap it by hand. This is done to make the fsb windage adjustable for highpower competition.

Thanks Akajun,

You are correct! I was able to hand drill the FSB (2nd hole through the bayo lug) and hand tap #8-36 before dimpling my barrel to match. Not quite the same technique as you HP comp guys do with barrel flats but is seems GTG for a beater rifle.

Thank you for the encouragement, I just needed the confidence boost.

Keith,
    Baton Rouge

:)

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    No Problem, btw, since you dont have the flats, If you coat all the mating surfaces in Red loctite, it will also help hold things solid. This is what Bushmaster used to do for a while, without the set screw,

Top Bottom