BCG Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I am looking to pick up a nickel boron BCG. I have seen onbthe interwebs ranging from $100-$250.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for but, what are the differences in these BCG.

And what ones would you recommend. I am considering the Black Rain Ordinance just cuz the biohazard symbol looks cool.

Also, are they even worth the money?

So, pros, cons, price point, good deals, etc etc....

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

Patchgunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    Lafayette
    IMHO nickel boron is a waste of money if I was you I would stick with a good Milspec bcg from a reputable company. Lots of good info on m4carbine.net

Sent from the patch

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    I ran NIB bcg dry without issues for around 400 rnds and only added lube just because it helps dissipate friction/heat along with this test I ran a cerakoted milspec bcg that was sand blasted before hand for about 500rnds and again added lube for better friction/heat resistance and after all that I ran a milspec bcg dry and it locked up after about 200rnds dry nowdays you can get a NIB for around 150 compared to a milspec for 75-100 btw make sure there were no variables I used the same test rifle and let cool down 24 hours and cleaned between bcg swaps and all shots were taken with controlled pairs in rapid succession. As long as you properly maintain your firearm it should run fine with anything all I carried for 2 combat tours was milspec in my rifle and all it ever got was basic wipe down and more lube between gunfights (had a few per day) hope this helps

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The quality of the BCG is more important than the finish. A crappy bolt and carrier with fancy coatings is just a polished turd. Also, nickel boron and similar coatings are thicker than the standard phosphate, and most companies don't factor that in, which means you basically end up with a coated BCG that's oversized in spec. A few companies (AAC is the only I recall off the top of my head) actually undersize the BCG itself, so that when the coating is applied the result is in spec.

Bottom line IMO...they make the gun run a miniscule amount smoother and are slightly easier to clean. That's it. The running without lube thing is a bit of a farce, because there's no good reason or excuse to use your gun unlubed anyway. Not worth the money to me, because the ones that are good are expensive. The ones that are affordable are subpar. Give me a quality mil-spec phosphate BCG over a cheap NiBor one anyday.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Thanks guys. On and off BS the response has been the same. I will get a standard mil-spec bcg and put the saved money towards the optics.

Thanx for the input.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Goodluck jjoker16 I run random tests like that just for personal knowledge and so I can base what I post off of facts Ive never had an issue that couldnt be solved with more lube or extra power extractor/ejector springs with the bcg

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    If I may add to my bcg question...

This bcg is for a 10.3 sbr. This rifle will be quieted by a m4-2000.

My question is should I be considering a specific buffer or buffer spring to help with the cycling? Or should I just run what a got and trouble shoot any potential issues then?

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I use a standard carbine buffer in my 10.5. The only guns I've had trouble with that needed buffer fiddling were 7.5" ones and some full auto guns. But every gun is different.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    The issue with shorter barrels runs into the realm of dwell time or in other terms the distance between the gas port and muzzle the recommendation is around 3 inches so enough pressure is built up to cycle properly there was an article in guns and ammo about salient and the venturi gas port they machined but no reason to fix an issue before you know if its gonna be a problem

WrenchGuy

ARmed ARtisan
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Slidell, Louisiana
    BCM, Palmetto State, Aero Precision...even Aim Surplus has great BCGs at a good price, just make sure whatever you get uses mil-spec materials or better.

My PSA rifle uses their top-end mil-spec bolt and my Aero rifle uses an Aim Surplus melonite BCG...both are great.

Top Bottom