Be careful what you post online

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Just got a head's up from a lawyer I know. He just deleted his Facebook account, but this applies to any and all online use.

He said that lawyers are requesting, and judges are giving the okay, for defendants to turn over all screen names, IDs, and passwords for all online use. Then, the lawyers pour through everything that person has posted. Comments, jokes, photos, etc.

As just one example, imagine all the "concealed means concealed" comments here and elsewhere, and how that could be used.

In other words, it's probably a good idea to post nothing you would not want to see put on a highway billboard with your name, photo, and address attached to it. Or read aloud in a courtroom.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Tom, thats geat avdice.. I have a friend right now being sued for slander cause he reposted something on a board about another person. He coppied a post from one and posted on another as a heads up. Well he is appealing the judgement but as of now he has to pay 1k in fines and court cost. And deleting a post does not make it go away. The courts found posts from 5 years ago that he had deleted from a forum. Text messages sit in a server bank for many many years. Its amazing what can be found if you know where to look.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Knew it was coming this is such a grey area in the law... the nice thing is "I forgot them..." and I truly have horrible memory...

Yes I only know that goes so far...

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Don't Worry B Happy

Never have to defend the "TRUTH" as my hommie Snookie used to say:}

gb1yynrmqt51qy31aqh.jpg

"NOTHING happens in God's World by mistake" IMHO!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just got a head's up from a lawyer I know. He just deleted his Facebook account, but this applies to any and all online use.

He said that lawyers are requesting, and judges are giving the okay, for defendants to turn over all screen names, IDs, and passwords for all online use. Then, the lawyers pour through everything that person has posted. Comments, jokes, photos, etc.

As just one example, imagine all the "concealed means concealed" comments here and elsewhere, and how that could be used.

In other words, it's probably a good idea to post nothing you would not want to see put on a highway billboard with your name, photo, and address attached to it. Or read aloud in a courtroom.

This is just where we are! Freedom of Speech was a great ideal, when it was speech that was heard by those it was directed and not recorded, digitized, analyzed, prostituted, exploited, manipulated, defamed, slandered, and every other description there is to reveal how litigious, and absurd this society has become.

We desrve what we have! And by that, I maintain that we allow the corrupt media to dictate what is right and wrong with what is said or not. We accept censorship with open arms, particularly when it is speech we don't like or want to hear. Guess what? Turn about is not only fair play, but now it's in play everyday.

Those that are unfortunate enough to have to rely on their jobs for survival dare not to have an opinion that goes against their employers PC guidelines or code of corporate ethics in fear of being terminated or ostracized.

These parasites that will take and parse every word a person in either the prosecutorial or defending "cross hairs" has ever said, written, or typed out on an internet keyboard in their lives, is an example of how marginalized it has all become.

Great post if you didn't already know and understand the dispicable way that EVERYONE is trying to trump each other.

Holy hell, I can only imagine how much more efficient the Nazi's would have been had they had their hands on the internet back then.

What a great culture we have nurtured. :puke:

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Right against Self incrimination what?
    (Yes, I understand that it could be civil cases, but what if it could be USED.... in criminal court...)

Does anyone even remember their passwords anymore?

I (Ahem) just save them on my computer... I'd be up the creek if the computer crashed....

Joel.L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    When you deactivate the account it not really gone. Although there is a special process to have it permanently deleted. You have to apply through facebook to have it done and it takes a week or so. google search or you tube the tutorial on how to permanently delete face book.

* never put anything you don't want seen online.

as a bored 23 y/o thats pretty good with computers I can crack through most wifi network security in about 10 minutes. So if you leave your wifi open or dont go through extra steps to block that stuff your leaving yourself open to identity theft/private investigators/the police/FBI/DEA. They can see everything from what you order online, your emails, your browse history even if you make sure its deleted.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    An administrator can access your account right now, (ahem).

Your password keeps your SO from snooping...... Not everyone else.

Man you got me all excited, but no, that's not necessarily true. By default that ability does not exist in VBulletin. Apparently you can install a hack that allows it, but BayouShooter has not. Realistically though, the data is certainly stored somewhere and if subpoenaed for some reason I'm sure there is a way of retrieving it. So your point is still spot on, but rest assured spanky and I aren't sitting around reading everyone's love letters.

Top Bottom