Bedding a scope base

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chapelhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    Look at my post in the rifles section entitled "35 Whelen"

http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82914

I was told on another forum to bed scope with JB weld

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't own a CVA but have read about a lot of problems with scope mounting. Seems people are swtiching to the durasight one-piece bases with good success. Sounded like the original bases CVA was using flexed way too much causing the problems. With harder recoiling guns, heavier built scope mounting systems are a good idea.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Chapelhill,

Ritten is probably right I am a novice at this. I have been told (recently) that in order to achieve maximum accuracy, you need to consider: rifle, scope, and base / rings - equally. After fumbling in the dark for awhile I'm becoming a believer.

I am in the process of setting up a new Savage model 11 long range hunter in 308 with a Leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 long range scope. I went with a picatinny base from Murphy's Precision. Why? for one reason, it's steel (a lot of bases - even high end ones are aluminum) and should be a good match for a set of Vortex Matched 30mm rings I have.

I am also considering bedding the base. I doubt seriously I will ever need to change it from this rifle and I want to start with as solid a base as I can achieve. Am I absolutely convinced this is the route to go? maybe not but, I cant imagine it hurting (?) Also, Savage only has a 4 hole mounting system and again, I want as solid a base as possible. One more note about Murphys Precision - they offer a fairly wide selection of bases in 0, 10, and 20 moa designs in steel or titanium. And, they're priced competitively with the other higher end bases ($125 for the steel base before shipping).

If this system works out, I plan on using a similar mount for my long action Browning xbolt in 300 win mag (not an easy base to find in either aluminum or steel!). The Savage is just the "lab test" for what I think will translate to what kind of mounting system I go with on the Browning. Although I'm going with aluminum rings on the Savage, I will probably mount the Browning scope using a steel base and rings.

The following link for bedding the base is from Murphy's site:

http://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding

Again, I am by no means an expert at all this. But, over the years I have learned that going cheap (base / rings, and scope) has given me a few fairly nice firearms, and piles of crap scopes, rings, and bases (doorstops) and self created frustration!!!

Good luck,
    Marc Price

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom