Bedrug

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I bought a new pickup and I'm thinking of putting a bedrug in it instead of having the bed rhino coated. The truck is not a work truck and I don't like things sliding around in the bed which is what the bedrug is supposed to prevent. Does anyone have any experience with the product?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    one of the guys at church has one, but I've never asked him about it. I have noticed it appears to hold a little water, which could get nasty.

I've had Rhino liner and Line-X. Rhino liner is the way to go, hands down. They're both rubber, and nothing slides around in them, at all. The Line-X is nowhere near as tough as the Rhino though. It's a little harder / brittle and has been more easily scratched and chipped. It has a lifetime warranty, but of course it's going to be a hassle to bring it in for the day to have it repaired or redone.

The hard plastic bedliner inserts (that I think you might be talking about) are worthless as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, they keep the steel of the bed in pretty good shape, except for where they make contact and rub the paint off, down to the metal, but you have to tie everything down.

If you want basically the same results on the cheap, try one of the rubber mats. They're usually less than $100 and are made of recycled tires and are custom cut for specific trucks. I used them in several trucks before I could afford the Rhino, and they have the same non-sliding properties as the spray-in products.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    +1 on the Rubber mats

one of the guys at church has one, but I've never asked him about it. I have noticed it appears to hold a little water, which could get nasty.

I've had Rhino liner and Line-X. Rhino liner is the way to go, hands down. They're both rubber, and nothing slides around in them, at all. The Line-X is nowhere near as tough as the Rhino though. It's a little harder / brittle and has been more easily scratched and chipped. It has a lifetime warranty, but of course it's going to be a hassle to bring it in for the day to have it repaired or redone.

The hard plastic bedliner inserts (that I think you might be talking about) are worthless as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, they keep the steel of the bed in pretty good shape, except for where they make contact and rub the paint off, down to the metal, but you have to tie everything down.

If you want basically the same results on the cheap, try one of the rubber mats. They're usually less than $100 and are made of recycled tires and are custom cut for specific trucks. I used them in several trucks before I could afford the Rhino, and they have the same non-sliding properties as the spray-in products.

fish_scales

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    New Orleans
    The Bedrug is great!
    I recently put one in about 3 months ago and love it. They are very durable.
    I would recommend putting a bed cover of some sort over it though. I installed a bakflip at the same time.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    +1 on the bakflip how you like it so far? I've had one on my truck now for 3 years n love it

The Bedrug is great!
    I recently put one in about 3 months ago and love it. They are very durable.
    I would recommend putting a bed cover of some sort over it though. I installed a bakflip at the same time.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I've got a bedrug, installed it in July/August, and I love it. I also installed a bakflip VP right when they started shipping around the same time, and love it too! I just hauled a bunch of mulch, the red cypress stuff, and after I was finished, I just hosed it out and it looks like new. If you aren't using your truck for heavy construction use the rug is great. It also provides a nice cushioned place to sit, and you can rest your guns on it and they don't get banged up. The way the rug is designed, water gets out through the normal drain holes in the front of the bed, and no, it doesn't smell like mildew. It also looks much nicer than a spray in liner, but mine stays covered and out if the sun.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a rubber bed mat years ago. Since then I had line-x. Have it bed coated. You end up with trash under the bed mat plus the black rubber gets on everything you put back there.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If you are going to use a truck like it was meant to be used, do a spray on liner and put a thick rubber mat over that.
    The bed rug is hard to clean and gets nasty easy unless you have a cover over it. I guess if you never haul more than a couple boxes of tampons around, they are fine.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Well just call me "Tampon Hauler". For the most part the only thing I'm going to haul is my equipment to and from the range. Gun cases, range bag, mats, cooler...etc which is why I don't want stuff sliding around. And why I'm considering the bedrug with it's .75" of cushion. I had a Rhino liner installed on my last truck and if I was going to be working the truck I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My only complaint is that things do slide around. I have already decided on the Bakflip for my cover.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I had a Rhino liner installed on my last truck and if I was going to be working the truck I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My only complaint is that things do slide around. I have already decided on the Bakflip for my cover.

that's strange, mine never did let anything slide around. it was outside uncovered in the sun all the time, which slightly oxidized the rubber taking any sheen off it. was yours covered?

Not4Hire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Bedtred with an undercover cover. Love both. Bedtred is made by same folks as the bedrug. I liked the fact that anything loose and heavy would stay still and also that it could be washed out easily if I get mud or sand in it. I was close to getting the bedrug, but swayed at the last minute for the bedtred. Watch the Internet videos about both before you decide.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't use a bed rug unless I had a bed cover. I've had them before. I'd rather a spray-in. They're so cheap to have done these days and they'll last forever. Just don't do an "over-the-rail" spray in. If your truck doesn't already have plastic caps covering the rail, a few companies make them and they're cheap.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I have had the bedrug for around 4 or 5 years and have always wished I would have done the Line-x. I do construction work and it has held up very well until the last few months when I managed to tear it. It was fantastic when it was new and dry, problem I always had is when I had to haul something a day or two after it rained I would have to put plastic or something down first because it stayed wet for a while. If it will be covered, bedrug is a winner, otherwise I would do something else.

Top Bottom