Beginner from Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I've always been interested in firearms, but I never actually got into them until about a month ago, when I shot a Ruger MK II at Precision. Ever since then, I've been learning a lot, purchased my first handgun(P226 Classic .22) and rifle(Marlin 795), and eventually came across this site(I've actually forgetten how I found it).

Anyway, hey.

Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome. Very wise decision making a .22 one of your first purchases. They are very useful and important tools.

Yeah, for some time when I was researching my first handgun purchase, I was operating under the implicit parameter that I would want a gun that I could "defend myself with"...at some point I realized that I *should* have been looking to get something that would allow me to shoot often to sharpen proficiency until I'm sufficiently trained and confident enough to carry for defense, so I decided to get a .22LR-chambered weapon.

One of the major reasons I decided to get classic .22 is because I can target-shoot with this frame, grip, trigger pull, etc. and eventually get a centerfire conversion kit to move up to my chosen defense caliber.

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Welcome, and again good job on the .22 Thats what I started out with and I would recommend that to anyone. They're cheap to shoot, useful for small game hunting and plinking, and just an all around fun gun to shoot while learning all of the basics. Too many times I've seen someone take a new shooter out to shoot some some cans with a .22 and after a few rounds they're already asking about what sort of high powered rifle they should buy next payday :doh:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Welcome. I would always recommend starting off with a .22lr. Not a damn thing wrong with becoming proficient with a handgun in that caliber. It is cheap to shoot which will probably mean you will shoot it more and thus gain more experience. To often I have been to the range and seen noob's with some powerful handgun that they are almost afraid to pull the trigger. Don't even talk about hitting the target because they can barely hit the giant zombie targets they buy because they think those are cool. They put up their target and set the target up at the maximum distance and then they don't hit crap. Get yourself completely comfortable with your gun and when the time comes you will be ready to jump up and it will be a breeze to transition to a centerfire caliber.

Top Bottom