Benchmade Bedlam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    There is this from Emerson:
    ek1202.jpg

I have this one from Spyderco:
    sc105gp2.jpg

There is also this:
    sc145gp.jpg

You can't go wrong with Spyderco and BenchMade IMHO. I don't have any Emerson knives.

My newest: http://www.pbase.com/patryn/image/17453836

Last edited:

Mexi_Can116

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    Tom which spyderco models are those?
    The Emerson looks nice but never heard of them and doesn't seem as "solid" as the others mentioned.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    The Emerson looks nice but never heard of them and doesn't seem as "solid" as the others mentioned.

The top one is the Spyderco Persian2 75mm G-10 Handle, VG-10 Steel, Pain Edge $131 and the lower Spyderco Zulu, Black Corrugated G-10 Handle, Plain Edge $119 from KnifeWorks.

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercopersian275mmg-10handlevg-10steelplainedge.aspx

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercozulublackcorrugatedg-10handleplainedge.aspx

Sorry 'bout that. I thought I had info. These are links to the KnifeWork site. I have purchased a lot of knives from them and they are great people to work with. I think that sentiment is shared by many on the list.

Another nice Spydy is the Gayle Bradley http://www.knifeworks.com/search.aspx?find=gayle+bradley

c134cfp.jpg

Most of my knives are BenchMades and Spydies, but that is a personal thing. I included the Emerson as it came up when I searched for Persian.

Good luck with choosing. There are so many nice knives out there.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA

Ummm.. didn't Emerson and Benchmade used to be the same company, or at least work together. I know I've seen early Benchmades with the Emerson logo on them...

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Ummm.. didn't Emerson and Benchmade used to be the same company, or at least work together. I know I've seen early Benchmades with the Emerson logo on them...

There is no mention of that in the Wiki article on Emerson, which doesn't really mean anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_Knives,_Inc.

I don't hear a lot about them. I notice on Roger's site that they have a lot of knives >$200. The company wasn't started until 1996.

BenchMade has taken over a number of knife companies like Lone Wolf and Harley Davidson.

I spend enough money on BenchMades, Spydies, and customs. I don't need another dollar drain!
    :bigok:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

Yah back in the beginning the CQC-7 was a benchmade 970 - I think other variants where produced as well of the same blade just different options like liners and stuff. But that was back in the mid 90's

On that note I love emerson knives - the only thing you might want to consider is that his blades are all chisel ground. - Also the G-10 destroys your pants because it is so abrasive. I have personally only owned the production models so I can't comment on the customs but the production blades are top notch....

Also the Gayle Bradley pictured earlier is a really nice and hefty blade. Really is a heavy use folder. It has a thick liner lock and M4 steel so you have to keep it oiled. It is also hollow ground so it might not be for everyone.

Last edited:

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Sir Isaac pardon my ignorance but you lost me at chisel ground ,hollow ground, what the hell? I have no clue ,could you shoot me a link Maybe I could read up but I've never got that "in depth" but I am a quik learner so you won't be wasting you're time.
    But I will say this I am looking for a blade that holds edge well and is easy to sharpen ,don't think It'll get wet much so it won't be a problem , I like the benchmade I know they make great pocket knives and the bedlam is a great looking blade and the shape of the blade is in line with what I want

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Wiki has a pretty basic article on grinds which may be a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind

I didn't realize G-10 [a handle material] was rough on the pocket. I only have a couple of knives with it, but one is a fave, a 730-801 Ares.

BTW, there is a regular production 730S at Jim's for $170. Musta been there a while. I don't like serrated edges unless it's the whole blade or I may have scarfed it up.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Wiki has a pretty basic article on grinds which may be a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind

I didn't realize G-10 [a handle material] was rough on the pocket. I only have a couple of knives with it, but one is a fave, a 730-801 Ares.

BTW, there is a regular production 730S at Jim's for $170. Musta been there a while. I don't like serrated edges unless it's the whole blade or I may have scarfed it up.

It is emerson's G-10 it is super aggressive and tears through my pockets. All of the other G-10 knives I own give me no problems what so ever. A lot of people take off the clip and sand down the area underneath the clip to combat the problem.

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    But I will say this I am looking for a blade that holds edge well and is easy to sharpen ,don't think It'll get wet much so it won't be a problem , I like the benchmade I know they make great pocket knives and the bedlam is a great looking blade and the shape of the blade is in line with what I want

What exactly is it you want? That is a big knife.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    If I could only own one knife. I would probably get a Spyderco Endura VG-10 steel or a Benchmade 550 Griptilian in 154cm the steels are almost identical stainless, easily sharpened, and hold edges very well. I would also suggest a plain edge if you plan on doing the sharpening yourself even though both Benchmade and Spyderco offer sharpening services for a very reasonable price of around 5 bucks....

Unless of course you want to go high end and then I would suggest a Strider SNG s30v steel with a titanium frame lock.

All of those knives have blades around 3.5 inches which is IMO the best size for a pocket folder. Not to large and not to small just right :)

Check out Alpine clocks it has a great selection of knives but that are way overpriced....

Next blade I am picking up is a Kingdom Armory Samaritan - I just put in an order and now I just have to wait 6-8 months for the thing to be done!

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    If I could only own one knife. I would probably get a Spyderco Endura VG-10 steel or a Benchmade 550 Griptilian in 154cm the steels are almost identical stainless, easily sharpened, and hold edges very well. I would also suggest a plain edge if you plan on doing the sharpening yourself even though both Benchmade and Spyderco offer sharpening services for a very reasonable price of around 5 bucks....

Unless of course you want to go high end and then I would suggest a Strider SNG s30v steel with a titanium frame lock.

All of those knives have blades around 3.5 inches which is IMO the best size for a pocket folder. Not to large and not to small just right :)

Check out Alpine clocks it has a great selection of knives but that are way overpriced....

Next blade I am picking up is a Kingdom Armory Samaritan - I just put in an order and now I just have to wait 6-8 months for the thing to be done!

LifeSharp is $5 for the first knife and $2.50 each additional.

I sent two of my older, an Osborn Opportunist and BM 690, as well as a non-BM Tighe Custom Pan to them for sharpening along with a check for $15 as the clip on the 690 was missing.

When they came back, a five dollar bill was in the package.

What's the blade length on the Samaritan? I can find photos of it but not specs

I have an order in with Chuck Gedraitis that will be another 5mo. Ya gotta wait for the good stuff.
    :squint:

Top Bottom