Beretta 92fs...favorite or forgotten

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Ok,so I've always wanted a 92fs since the early 90's but never owned one. I've owned Glocks,M&Ps and currently own XDs. I still would like to have a 92 cuz they just always looked cool to me and I never had problems whenever I shot one. I need real world input on this gun before I buy one,likes...dislikes. My XD will still be my shooter,but I still would like to own a 9mm that isn't polymer. 3rd gen Smiths are cool too but accesories and parts are harder to find. 92s are still fairly common for the most part. Even though I pledge allegiance to the United World of Revolvers,I still like to have a 9mm on the side to shoot informally. So,lemme hear what ya'll think about this Italian autoloader and how it fairs as a production match gun. Thanks.

Just buy one of everything. You keep buying and selling and changing brands every day.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I had a pt92 taurus back in the day. Was not accurate. I also had a beretta 92, but sold it. Not a big fan of the grip size, and after handling a high power the beretta feels like a hard turd. So I bought a few high powers and stayed away from the beretta.

And the barrel does move, just forwards and backwards. It does not tilt so it "could" be more accurate. Still slack compared to the slide so not much of a difference to a browning style tilt system. My glocks outshoot any 92 I have shot, for me at least.

If you do not have a browning high power buy that instead, much better design.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Favorite. I always thought it was the sexiest auto on the market and after shooting one, I had to have it. Like others mentioned, the safety sucks and it is heavy as hell considering its' capacity. BUT, as a range toy I LOVE it.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I had a Ber92FS that was a joy to shoot. Absolutely beautiful gun. Sold it.

Fortunately I sold it to my son. I still get to hold it and shoot it, well sometimes.

I'll buy another one day. It is a classic, a must have.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    For as long as I can recall, I thought the 92FS was the sweetest looking autoloader on the planet. I love the open-top slide and exposed barrel, and the lines on the weapon are real eye candy. Just picked one up a little while ago in INOX and it's by far the prettiest pistol in my stable. I find the sturdy feel of an all metal pistol very appealing and as I carry full size as it is, transitioning to the 92 for carry would not be a problem. Of every weapon I've handled, the Beretta is by far the most comfortable in my hand, especially with some of the aftermarket grips available. And talk about a shooter...

As others have stated, there can be problems with FTF/FTE when these pistols get dry and dirty. It's a long documented issue, one that I came across with my 96 before I was OCD about cleaning and lubing my pistols. With just standard care, you'll never have a problem and the weapon is very reliable.

As for downsides, the safety is certainly at the top of the list. With some practice, quick malfunction clears aren't a problem, although under stress, you might indeed snag your hand. I find it difficult to disengage the safety on a quick draw, although admittedly I haven't had much practice with the weapon in this regard. The DA/SA, however, is not as terrible as I was first led to believe. After less than 30 rounds fired in DA, I found myself making accurate shots every time. If you're used to DAO "safe action" type pistols like I am, it takes some getting used to, but even with such a long and heavy trigger pull, a competent and diligent shooter will not have a problem making an accurate first shot.

I find the 92FS a blast to shoot and in the short time that I've had one, taken it to the range on three separate occasions. I think with the appropriate CC rig and adequate practice, any issues one might have with it as a personal defense weapon could be eliminated. All that's left is to figure out how to get into those nooks and crannies in the frame and slide for cleaning, and you're GTG. (FYI-- Q-tips and patches in unison with a plastic pick work wonderfully.)

Guess that answers my question as to whether you liked the 92 INOX or not.

:)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Guess that answers my question as to whether you liked the 92 INOX or not.

:)

Necro thread! :zombie:

Yep, still love it. To date, I am most accurate (under time) with it than any other pistol I own. I discovered that having dislocated my thumb so many years ago means my natural grip on almost every pistol out there is bad, and I've spent quite a bit of time retraining myself-- especially for draw strokes. However, the 92 suffers the least from this disparity-- it still feels the best in my hands, in other words.

I did snag my hand doing a power stroke the other day-- a natural drawback of the open slide, but a rare issue nonetheless. I have come to agree that in terms of combat pistols, there are others that I prefer. I would gladly trust my life to the 92, and think that using one as a bedside pistol eliminates a lot of the downsides one might find when using it for CC or a wartime sidearm. On the range, it's one of my very favorite-- I think everyone should have one at some point in time or another. But don't get any ideas-- I'm never getting rid of mine.

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    I've wanted a 92fs ever since I was a kid and saw Mel Gibson with one in Lethal Weapon. Just always thought it was a really cool looking gun. I still remember an issue of Guns & Ammo I had when I was like 10 yrs old that had a huge article about the 92 in it. Had a big 2-page picture of one...wish I still had that magazine. The 92 is definitely on my list of 'must own' guns.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Ok...kabosh that thought then. :)

Was hoping you'd grown tired and weary and were searching for a home for it.

Darn. Guess I'll have to get another one one day.

Why did I sell it then? :dunno:

Shot it today, in fact! Everyone who picks it up or sees it makes a comment on how sweet the grips are-- I tell them someone had good taste, and I had good fortune.

I really like the stainless-- it shows almost no wear, despite having seen at least 2k rounds since I got it from you. And unlike anything blue/black, the wear that is there doesn't show much at all. Plus the INOX is just dead sexy.

RNshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    To each his own...I love mine. It's a top tier weapon destined to be a clasic. Add it to your collection when the opportunity arises.

kdavis1984

Practice, Practice
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I absolutely love this gun. I trained with the military version which was the M9 while in NAVY Boot Camp and later carried one as a side arm while on duty aboard the Harry S. Truman. It grew to be one of my favorite firearms. Fast forward to present day and it was actually the very first gun i purchased. I have loved every time ive taken it to the range and have put probably 1000-1500 rds through the barrel. This is one gun that i can safely say i will not get rid of. Ive added a set of Hogue Grips with the finger grooves and it is currently at On Target Guns in Kenner for a paint customization and some feed ramp polishing and minor internal work. I cannot wait to get it back and take it to the range and continue to become more and more familiar with it.

Top Bottom