Beretta

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papercut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2008
    I was looking through the handgun pics this morning and saw only one Beretta. I never hear anyone talk about Beretta on here either. What's the deal? :dunno:

Papercut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2008
    Most folks, once they have had the opportunity to handle various "service" 9mms, come to the conclusion that the Beretta 92/M9 pistol is, well... not the best choice for a carry/defensive pistol.

Beretta makes a fine, high quality weapon. Some folks like it. Personally, I'm rather ambivalent about it. I have enough experience with one to know that it is a good gun that can be depended upon; but it is not my first choice.

OTOH, Beretta sporting shotguns are the thing to have, IMO. I have a 3901 gas gun for clay bird shooting, and am plotting on what Beretta O/U to buy.

Why wouldn't it be a good defensive pistol? I never took that into account when i bought my 96. I went with the beretta because 1) Great Price 2) It felt more comfortable than the XD and G22/23 and 3) Beretta makes reliable handguns.

Remember Im a n00b:hs:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a Beretta M21 (.22 pocket pistol w/ tip up barrrel). I'm not happy with how it has held up. It now jams (FTE) about every 3 rounds. I've changed mags, no improvement. I've changed ammo. I've cleaned it completely. Still no luck.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Personally, I'm a Beretta fan. A 92FS was my first handgun purchase, and many years later I bought a Cougar in 9mm. I'm now planning on a PX4 and maybe even the new Ninety-Two with rail. If I could afford it I'd buy one of those all steel 92's, and add a Vertec version, but I always seem to find other things to spend money on, like food, shelter, gas, etc. I've just always liked them, and I've never had a problem with the ones I have.

arcomm3

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    S.E.La.
    at present I own/have four beretta pistols a mod21a, mod 84, 92sbc, and a 92fs. I have also owned others at different times 2 jetfires both .25cal come to mind (just sold one). All of them have given me superior performance. The jetfires just werent cost friendly for the return. Proper care and cleaning are to me far more important than what you bought, and yes I have others too! I not looking to debate this with anyone. As with most "brand names" you get what you pay for. buy a yogo and you get to walk, buy a ford more than likely it will start every day and you drive, buy a lamborghini and you drive your ford waiting on parts

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I didn't say it wasn't a "good" defensive pistol; I said it probably wasn't the best choice for most folks, and that is because of its size. To that, I'll add the caliber isn't my favorite either.

Keep an eye on that 96; from all accounts, they have a tendency to crack in certain places relatively early in their service life. The .40 S&W cartridge does that, due to its much more violent recoil pulse... its hard on pistols.

Keep in mind that my information on the Beretta 96 is second-hand. My information on the higher impulse from the .40 S&W cartridge is NOT second-hand. Also, the Baton Rouge City Police have been using their G22s for about five years now. They are beginning to see an excessive number of parts breakage, as well as continued complaints from many officers about the increased recoil; those guys and gals want a 9mm.

No doubt that some .40 "champion" will cry that these cops are pussies, the cartridge is great, etc.

Well, _I'm_ not a *****; and I did NOT like the issue Glock 35 I carried and shot for five years on LSP SWAT. The G35 is a big pistol, and I've been shooting handguns all my adult life; much of that competitively. I found the recoil of the G35, regardless of whether it was 155gr, 165gr, or 180gr bullets, to be quite objectionable. I'd rather shoot a .45 ANY day.

Bottom line, I have no use for the .40 S&W cartridge. Lots of folks like it, and I'm proud for 'em... leaves more 9mm and .45 ACP for me... ;)

Anyway... you asked...

Some of the BRPD officers choose to carry an issue G17.
    All of the DSPD officers are issued a G34.
    Walker PD officers have a choice of G34/G35 and it is 50/50.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have been with BRPD for just over 8 years and have carried the Glock 22 sience they first issued them. We have the choice of the 22 or the 17 to carry.
    A lot of officers that carry the 17 carry it for two reasons. #1 Higher mag cap.
    #2 They don't spend enough time at the range and find that when they only shoot once a year, the 9mm is much easre to shoot a higher score with.

I spent a year on sick leave due to cancer. When I came back to work on light duty I had to re shoot the POST 4 time to requal. Now I'm dot a big guy, 5, 8" and 140lbs due to loosing 30lbs after cancer treatments. Now I had not fired a gun in over a year and still had a feeding tube sticking out of my gut.:(
    I went to the range ane put some rounds down range on day one to get the feel of firing my G22 again. I shot a 86 on the POST. They asked if I wanted to switch to a G17 and I said no.
    I went home and worked on my grip and trigger control. A week later I went back to the range and shot a 118 and a 114 and was told that I was only allowed to shoot two corses a day to requial. I came back the next day and fired a 116 and a 112. My buddy at the range told me that I out shoot most of the officers that carry the G17.
    LeDuff has aloud some officers to carry the Glock in 45.
    Myself I prefer the 1911A1 in 45.

Back on topic; I did a little time in the Corps and was there when they were still issuing the 1911A1, and when the Berreta came along (what a sad day).
    The Beretta is a good gun but is big and fat. It just never fit my hand. I carried one fore a few years before I got out of the Corps.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been with BRPD for just over 8 years and have carried the Glock 22 sience they first issued them. We have the choice of the 22 or the 17 to carry.
    A lot of officers that carry the 17 carry it for two reasons. #1 Higher mag cap.
    #2 They don't spend enough time at the range and find that when they only shoot once a year, the 9mm is much easre to shoot a higher score with.

I spent a year on sick leave due to cancer. When I came back to work on light duty I had to re shoot the POST 4 time to requal. Now I'm dot a big guy, 5, 8" and 140lbs due to loosing 30lbs after cancer treatments. Now I had not fired a gun in over a year and still had a feeding tube sticking out of my gut.:(
    I went to the range ane put some rounds down range on day one to get the feel of firing my G22 again. I shot a 86 on the POST. They asked if I wanted to switch to a G17 and I said no.
    I went home and worked on my grip and trigger control. A week later I went back to the range and shot a 118 and a 114 and was told that I was only allowed to shoot two corses a day to requial. I came back the next day and fired a 116 and a 112. My buddy at the range told me that I out shoot most of the officers that carry the G17.
    LeDuff has aloud some officers to carry the Glock in 45.
    Myself I prefer the 1911A1 in 45.

Back on topic; I did a little time in the Corps and was there when they were still issuing the 1911A1, and when the Berreta came along (what a sad day).
    The Beretta is a good gun but is big and fat. It just never fit my hand. I carried one fore a few years before I got out of the Corps.

Personal best G22-116, G17-118, G34-120, M&P9-120. May 2008 G34-120.
    My arthritic hands favor a 9mm.
    POST will change for 2009.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom