best 9mm self defense ammo.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamdat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    baton rouge
    what do you like and why? price is not an issue here. i have an idea what i like but im curious what you guys like. i know you all know a heck of a lot more than i. :cool:

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have received multiple recommendations from those in the know for Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg[/ame]

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What pangris said. Federal HST and Win Ranger are great, proven ammo that are easily found for less than .50 per round. My general rule is if it comes in 20 round boxes you probably paid too much.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, PDX1 in 124 or 147 standard pressure or +P.
    The HST is basically as good as the bonded ammunition on hard barriers.
    Shoot what works best in your gun.

Last edited:

iamdat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    baton rouge
    thanks for all the responses. ive always been a big fan of the cor-bon stuff but you're right, it doesnt come cheap. ive tried finding the ranger stuff all around but to no avail. spanky, ill hit you up when this weekend or something when my funds recoup! keep em coming!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Winchester 9mm penetration in inches.
    Gelatin
    147 = 13.9
    127+P+ = 12.3
    124+P = 12.2

4 layer denim
    147 = 14.5
    124+P = 13.9
    127+P+ = 12.2

heavy cloth
    147 = 14.0
    124+P = 13.3
    127+P+ = 12.2

wallboard
    147 = 15.0
    124+P = 14.0
    127+P+ = 12.1

Expansion was basically the same with the exception of the Gelatin test where the 124+P was much greater than the 127+P+ or the 147.

iamdat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    baton rouge
    im a retard and just read this. great information. i think im gonna try and get a box of each and try it out for myself. i like to see things in action. now i have to fill a 55 gallon drum up with water :p

so far, ive acquired:
    speer gold dot, cor-bon 115gr +p (pn SD09115/20), and golden sabres.
    ive been trying to find the HST stuff but no luck. also looking for the cor-bon DPX. im gonna try and get a box of rangers from spanky soon as well.

for me, price is not something i care about when it comes to this. i want to know if i shoot a guy, (i sure as hell would never want to do this) i want to put him out of commission.

iamdat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    baton rouge
    im by no means trying to reinvent the wheel. ive done a lot of reading on this site of your post as well as many others and its evident you know a hell of a lot more than me. im not second guessing you so dont take it that way. im just insanely curious and like seeing things in person. whenever i do this though, ill for sure take pictures and whatnots. :)

iamdat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    baton rouge
    honestly though, ive done a lot of reading away from this site and pretty much have found the same answers. i guess i cant rest with good enough. :cheers:

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Hey this might be a pretty stupid question/comment but do you all think about how the round actually exits the pistol and do you think it needs to be a factor? A while back (and I mean a while back, maybe like eight years ago) I bought this stuff to shoot out out of my Glock 30. I really think it was some of the cor bon stuff but I really couldn't tell you with certainty. As I always do I shot about five rounds of the stuff. I always shoot at least a few rounds of the stuff I by for personal protection to see how it reacts because I know it isn't the same as target ammunition. Let me tell you, there was a flame that came out of the barrel like I have never seen before. I decided right there I wouldn't buy that stuff because of it. It might be unreasonable, but that is just the way I feel.

By the way I use the Speer Gold Dot in both my Glock 23 and my fiancee's Springfield XD 9mm. I like the way it fires better than the other stuff.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    There are valid reasons to not want excessive flame such as night blindness but in terms of functionality, unless it is loaded too hot for your gun, it wouldn't bother me. Some powders burn slower and in shorter barrels do that. Some cartridges, even in guns intended for that design will do that as well such as the 7.62x25.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    There are valid reasons to not want excessive flame such as night blindness but in terms of functionality, unless it is loaded too hot for your gun, it wouldn't bother me. Some powders burn slower and in shorter barrels do that. Some cartridges, even in guns intended for that design will do that as well such as the 7.62x25.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of the night blindness...that makes perfect sense. I didn't think it would affect the functionality of the pistol I just thought there might be some issues involved with it such as position give away or something...of course a big loud bang does that also too. :)

Top Bottom