Best All Around Hunting Caliber

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fighter31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Zachary, LA
    I am planning on buying a hunting rifle soon and i am wanting something that i can hunt deer, elk, and moose with as well as being effective at long range.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    I am planning on buying a hunting rifle soon and i am wanting something that i can hunt deer, elk, and moose with as well as being effective at long range.

I would suggest a 30/06. Plenty enough factory ammo to take any of the above animals at reasonable distances with proper shot placement. Many people think you need a magnum to take moose and elk but how do you think they were taken pre-magnum days? To me any magnum is too much for deer around here and neighboring states.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The primary arm of all of our snipers is the .308.
    I had the privilege of hosting the ex-commander of the US Army sniper school on my boat for an offshore trip out of Brazos Santiago Pass several years ago. He explained that the US mililtary is very comfortable with the .308 and have worked out all possible combinations of loads, barrels, etc. He told stories of dead-on hits, "kills", at what I thought were ridiculous distances, but he stood by the stories.
    Also, the .308 is available in "short action" models.
    Remember, you said all-around. Ruger and Remington make very handy rifles in that caliber; the Remington Model 7 and the Ruger bolt-action carbine.
    Plus, if TSHTF for real, .308 will be one of the most available cartridges.
    Ask Dan Z; he is our expert on long-range rifle shooting.
    Good luck,
    leVieux

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    The primary arm of all of our snipers is the .308.
    I had the privilege of hosting the ex-commander of the US Army sniper school on my boat for an offshore trip out of Brazos Santiago Pass several years ago. He explained that the US mililtary is very comfortable with the .308 and have worked out all possible combinations of loads, barrels, etc. He told stories of dead-on hits, "kills", at what I thought were ridiculous distances, but he stood by the stories.
    Also, the .308 is available in "short action" models.
    Remember, you said all-around. Ruger and Remington make very handy rifles in that caliber; the Remington Model 7 and the Ruger bolt-action carbine.
    Plus, if TSHTF for real, .308 will be one of the most available cartridges.
    Ask Dan Z; he is our expert on long-range rifle shooting.
    Good luck,
    leVieux
    +1...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah, but everyone is going to want .308 and .30/06. Go with .303 British and there won't be as much competition for rounds! Same power range in a good RIMMED cartridge.

7.62 x 54R is almost as good, plus the guns are almost cheap enough to be disposable.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Really, the 300 Win. or Weatherby Mag. would be the best choices; however, the fact that the OP is asking the question would lead me to believe that he is less than experienced with rifle shooting and a .30 mag is not the best place to learn. My all around gun was a .300 Jarrett which is a bit more efficient than the Weatherby plus I didn't have to use one of those POS Weatherby Mk V actions. :) I wouldn't go to the .300 RUM because it is a bit more than most can handle.

I don't include the .308 or .30-06 because they don't get the velocity with the heavy bullets to flatten the trajectory. For elk and moose, the 200 gr Partition out of a .300 mag is an excellent choice. When including moose at distance, I would prefer to use more than a 7mm. .338 is great, but a bit excessive on deer.

Those are my random thoughts.

Dan

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    All kidding aside, a .308 Winchester would be the best place to start. For me personally, its a toss-up between .308 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield.

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Really, the 300 Win. or Weatherby Mag. would be the best choices; however, the fact that the OP is asking the question would lead me to believe that he is less than experienced with rifle shooting and a .30 mag is not the best place to learn. My all around gun was a .300 Jarrett which is a bit more efficient than the Weatherby plus I didn't have to use one of those POS Weatherby Mk V actions. :) I wouldn't go to the .300 RUM because it is a bit more than most can handle.

I don't include the .308 or .30-06 because they don't get the velocity with the heavy bullets to flatten the trajectory. For elk and moose, the 200 gr Partition out of a .300 mag is an excellent choice. When including moose at distance, I would prefer to use more than a 7mm. .338 is great, but a bit excessive on deer.

Those are my random thoughts.

Dan

I couldn't have put it in a better way ,I absolutely agree with this distinguished member .
    There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and he's one of them.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Realistically what are the chances you're going to go on an Elk or Moose hunt in the near future? The reason I ask is because if it's unlikely that you're going to hunt those animals that really opens the door for a lot of good inexpensive, low recoiling cartridges and rifles that will fit the deer/long range requirement very well.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's hard to believe that no one mentioned the .270.

Jack O'Connor mentioned it.

And then mentioned it again.

And again. Over & over, for forty years. He really did mention it.

He took it to Africa and killed elephants with it. Lions. He may even have killed a cape buffalo with it.

He wrote reams about his love for the .270.

For most of us, the caliber has to be .30 or better for large game.

But; Jack was a real expert, like our Dan Z.

I'm just an armchair commenter. Who uses .243's for our little deer.

Mostly, just the camp cook, though.

This is a GREAT website !

leVieux

Top Bottom