Best boat gun finish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Just wondering what the opinions were on finish/ protection on guns brought out on inshore/offshore fishing trips. My Dad always brought his SS Ruger Security Six but was wondering if Parkerized is as good, better,etc. Also, what the black polycoats and nickel finishes.. I have brought the SS gun with me but have others of the above mentioned finishes I could bring instead. All would be wiped down when returning home or thoroughly cleaned if we ended up firing it for some reason. I thought I had a link to a site that actually listed them in order of highest protection to lowest but can't find it.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Stainless would be fine with minimal care. Other than that I would use Cerakote.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Birdsong, if you've got the time and don't mind some extra cost.

Our board sponsors however do EXCELLENT work, and definitely know their stuff!

Be sure to keep an eye on your springs in a maritime environment, though. I've seen various springs from various guns go bad just carrying them around on land all day without any maintenance. A touch tougher in a wheel gun of course, but still very much doable and something to consider. Chances are the occasional trip won't give you any grief, but better safe than sorry!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I was considering factory finishes only...sorry if I caused some confusion here. I've never had a weapon refinished--yet. I'm pretty good about cleaning and maintenance when returning from a fishing/hunting trip and some may argue I go a little overboard with the gun oil. Was looking for opinions on minimal care in case I get lazy or just plum tired from being on the water for a day or two.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    If you clean often then just go with what you have. Basic care and most guns will last a few generations at least.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wouldn't have gone as far as highpoint, but... I was thinking pawn shop 870 with a few cans of krylon. Or a Moison if you want some range.
    Either way, you're not out a lot if it goes overboard.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    You're doing the right thing. No coating is 100% against salt water. There are non-stainless and non-coated parts throughout your gun such as springs, pins etc. It you're a fisherman you know that even stainless steel will rust. Just keep a good coat of oil on your gun and wipe it off and clean it when you are done.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Stainless, as others have said, if you are talking shotguns. Glock if you are talking about a handgun. If you are open to refinishing guns, NitroBond is a new finish that I am playing around with and so far it is excelling to say the least.

I found a gun in my brother's office that has been there for two or three years at least. I opened the case and there was an 870 in there that was completely rusted out. I can only assume that the case was wet. I don't know how you could do that to a gun if you wanted to. I took it apart and cleaned it up and am NitroBonding it. I'll post pics when it is done. My plan is to give it back to my brother and let him abuse it and see how it holds up this time.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You're doing the right thing. No coating is 100% against salt water. There are non-stainless and non-coated parts throughout your gun such as springs, pins etc. It you're a fisherman you know that even stainless steel will rust. Just keep a good coat of oil on your gun and wipe it off and clean it when you are done.

Actually, I'm fairly certain Birdsong does everything-- springs and all.

Or at least I'm fairly certain I read that on a forum somewhere. :D

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Stainless, as others have said, if you are talking shotguns. Glock if you are talking about a handgun. If you are open to refinishing guns, NitroBond is a new finish that I am playing around with and so far it is excelling to say the least.

I found a gun in my brother's office that has been there for two or three years at least. I opened the case and there was an 870 in there that was completely rusted out. I can only assume that the case was wet. I don't know how you could do that to a gun if you wanted to. I took it apart and cleaned it up and am NitroBonding it. I'll post pics when it is done. My plan is to give it back to my brother and let him abuse it and see how it holds up this time.

By "NitroBond" you mean PVD (plasma vapor deposition) coating. I know a thing or three about that process using Titanium Aluminum Nitride and amorphous Tungsten Diamond Like Coating.

Ionbond lays a layer of electroless Nickel (3 to 4 microns) and then does WDLC (5 to 7 microns), IIRC.

A much better option would be to have your weapon Melonited (SBN) or salt bath nitrocarburized THEN have the WDLC added on top of it.

SBN has a harder, more durable and more corrosion and wear resistant coating than the WDLC, electroless Ni (which is soft) or any other widespread coating or treatment available.

Is your gunsmith an affiliate of Ionbond in South Carolina?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom