Best Bolt Action Rifle for Combat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There was another story about the tolerances of the Swiss rifles. Again, I don't know about the truth of it.
    Between WWI and WWII the Swiss and the Germans were competing over quality of their machining abilities of all different products. The Swiss brought up their watches and the Germans said their were just as good. Words were exchanged and it came down to who made the smallest drill bits for use in the watch construction. A bet was made and to settle it the Germans supplied the Swiss with a set of their smallest bits. A few weeks later the German bits were returned with an apology from the Swiss ambassador. The German walked away smiling. Only later did the Germans examine their bits. Down the length of each bit a hole was drilled end to end...

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have a k31, and I think it is a very interesting rifle. It handles well and is very accurate, and the bolt is certainly quick to cycle due to the straight pull.

However, that safety is retarded. I have problems with it for two reasons.
    First, it is pretty redundant. In the time it would take you to pull and twist the ring, you could just hold the ring and pull the trigger to de-**** it. This accomplishes the same thing as the safety, and it is faster just to re **** the ring by pulling it back than pull it back and twisting it so that the lug lines back up properly.

Also, when I shoulder the rifle and **** it, the ring will hit me in the cheek. I guess those swiss guys were pretty short or something. I'm 6 feet tall, but that's isn't like mutant height by any means. I think I would have to have reservations about bringing a rifle into battle if I had to take my eyes of the sights every time I cocked it.

Anybody know if anyone out there makes a buttplate extension so I can fix this? I might get one of the universal slip-on recoil pads to lengthen the stock, but that would make it a little ugly after the time I spent refinishing the stock.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    couple points

the 1903 was 1/3 of the rifles the USA used in WW1,most were the 1917.after the war they were going to make it the main rifle but it was british designed so off with it.
    the smle had two mags only if one got damaged the trooper had a spare.
    the reason mausers were so common was the germans made them for export and trolled the world for buyers.none of the other countries did this.
    frank,y I like the mannlicher clip,as it is much easyier to load in the guns.same as a garand.and bolt rifles had five rounds because it kept the stock thinner.same with the garand and 8 rds. the 1917 has a deep stock for the rimmed cartridge and the original 276 was fatter.

Top Bottom