Best caliber for deer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The .22 magnum is a rimfire. Also known as .22 WRF.

10267744.jpg

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I agree 100%. Could probably go even further and say that the 22 Hornet is the smallest legal cartrige for deer hunting in Louisiana.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree 100%. Could probably go even further and say that the 22 Hornet is the smallest legal cartrige for deer hunting in Louisiana.

But they don't say that in the regs?!? Perhaps back in the day some one had other centerfire .22's? I really don't know. But isn't it interesting that the regs don't specifically define the Hornet?

I am no ballistics guru; did/do they have others in CF? I have seen that verbiage in the Louisiana hunting regs for decades.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The regulations for Louisiana say minimum is 22 centerfire. This is meant to exclude any rimfire or any caliber less than .22
    So any 22 centerfire would be legal. 22 Hornet, 22 K Hornet, 218 Bee, 219 Mashburn, 220 Swift, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 222 Rem Mag, 223 Rem, etc, etc, etc, and on and on.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was not talking about 22Hornet.

If I was talking about 22 Hornet I would have said 22 Hornet. I was talking about 22 Magnum. So I said 22 magnum.

No, I'm not talking about Louisiana.

Let's move on past the internet detective work.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The regulations for Louisiana say minimum is 22 centerfire. This is meant to exclude any rimfire or any caliber less than .22
    So any 22 centerfire would be legal. 22 Hornet, 22 K Hornet, 218 Bee, 219 Mashburn, 220 Swift, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 222 Rem Mag, 223 Rem, etc, etc, etc, and on and on.

Point taken. Intentional exclusionary verbiage makes sense.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was not talking about 22Hornet.

If I was talking about 22 Hornet I would have said 22 Hornet. I was talking about 22 Magnum. So I said 22 magnum.

No, I'm not talking about Louisiana.

Let's move on past the internet detective work.

Sorry, I didn't intend to start a fire storm here. But the discussion could be considered on topic. When discussing what cartridge to consider for deer hunting, I did not want anyone to consider using the 22 Mag to hunt deer here in Louisiana.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Sorry, I didn't intend to start a fire storm here. But the discussion could be considered on topic. When discussing what cartridge to consider for deer hunting, I did not want anyone to consider using the 22 Mag to hunt deer here in Louisiana.

No problem - it's a very valid point. I just didn't think it was going to snowball like that. I would have been more specific if I'd thought about it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    After visiting my wife's grandparent's property in Missouri I am seriously considering taking up deer hunting. I was wondering what caliber I should look in to for a solid deer rifle. I was thinking .270, .243, or 30-06 due to availability and price. Any thoughts?

Also, would I be completely stupid to consider using my AR, even with a 65-70 grain round?

Don't know the Missouri laws, but I think any of the above would be fine for white tail. If it were me, I kinda like the .30-06 Springfield or .270 Winchester for nostalgia.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Ive always shot 30-06 SPR. I am however thinking about either switching or including .270WIN.

While shot placement is always the biggest factor when seeking a quick kill or saving valuable meat, hell even ease of skinning/cleaning, I've found the 30-06 to be best for all the ranges. Its ballistics are relatively easy to remember or learn and the round has a good amount of TQ behind it to defeat the majority of weather factors the average deer hunter will face. Ive always stuck with 165gr rounds as they (in the round I shoot) offer a higher exit muzzle velocity and hold it out to 300yrds than the 160gr or 180gr rounds. Just this Sat I was able to drop a decent sized buck with a heart shot at 185yrds (range finder). He made his break jump and sat down about 20' away from where he was hit.

This is just my experience. Ive never been on a hunt where the kill shot was further than 350yrds. So I cant speak for anything past that.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Best caliber for deer? From the deer's point of view I'd think he would prefer 6mm airsoft!

(Sorry, I just finished watching the grammar Nazi video... )

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    Any of the 3 youve listed would be suitable for killing a whitetail at a decent range. Its all about the shot placement. Find which of the three feels most comfortable to shoot and there you go.

Top Bottom