best ccw class in baton rouge area?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snap2it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My wife & I took our CCW class from Gordon Hutchinson. We were very pleased with the training & Gordon knows his stuff.
    He sometimes has last minute dropouts so ask him to put you on his standby list.

I attended Gordon's class 2 years back. He does an excellent job. Speaks well not just on the tactical but legal aspect, citing actual cases and experiences. This was quite valuable. He also provides a notary at the class to assist with completing the package.

Gordon holds classes at BassPro and at the Baker Range. You could contact them for schedule. ALso, he has held special classes for groups, such as work, social or church groups.

I will be recerting with Gordon when the time comes.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    :rofl:

Dawg student here. Great class and would recommend it. He is a wealth of knowledge, and his sense of humor is great!

All right -- this is getting out of hand.

This is the last check I'm gonna send out as a payoff honorarium. I'm out of money.

Anybody else who chimes in with positive feedback will have to accept a NIB Wilson Combat 1911.

Sorry.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    All right -- this is getting out of hand.

This is the last check I'm gonna send out as a payoff honorarium. I'm out of money.

Anybody else who chimes in with positive feedback will have to accept a NIB Wilson Combat 1911.

Sorry.

Never took this man's class, but I can't recommend him enough.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I will be recerting with Gordon when the time comes.
    Each time I've recerted I've looked for a different instructor. The thinking is that it exposes you to different teaching styles and different instructors may cover a topic better or from a different direction than the last one. You may pick up something from one instructor that your previous instructor/s may have missed or glossed over in previous classes.
    Just my 2 cents.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm betting that wasn't at Mississippi State -- we're trained to turn ourselves in at the first hint of an accusation.

:rofl:
    It is a miracle my father and his cohorts weren't arrested from their shenanigans. Nothing like today, just bored super smart guys looking to pull pranks on unsuspecting professors.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I'm not sure about that... I'm only bringing a semi-auto. I think I remember hearing something about needing to be certified on revolvers and pistols but I don't remember the exact details.

This may have changed, but as of 2009, when I got my permit, the application had a blank for you to indicate whether you qualified with an auto or a revolver, but you aren't restricted to carrying only that gun or action type.(Some states' permits do) I brought both just so I could answer "both".

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This may have changed, but as of 2009, when I got my permit, the application had a blank for you to indicate whether you qualified with an auto or a revolver, but you aren't restricted to carrying only that gun or action type.(Some states' permits do) I brought both just so I could answer "both".

Pretty sure the application asks whether you were trained on an auto or revolver. Doesn't mention anything about qualifying. In GeauxShootin's class he trained us about both types in the classroom portion so you could check both boxes. Has nothing to do with which one you shot or what you can carry.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Update:
    When my supply of Wilson 1911's has been exhausted, I reserve the right to issue Bersa .380's to those posting positive feedback. I have a huge inventory of these formidable death machines, so it's unlikely that future changes in honoraria will be required.

However, in the event that the outpouring of accolades is greater than even I anticipate --- nobody is getting his (or her) grubby mitts on my Ravens and Lorcins. We'll find something suitable to issue instead of the 1911's and Bersas.

Old Smokey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A friend of mine recommended Dawg23's class, but I took it anyway. It was a great class. (I know that all of the honorarium checks have already been mailed, too,)

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    This one time at Dawg23's CHP class....

I took it and enjoyed it. It was worth the drive if I do say so myself.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    A friend of mine recommended Dawg23's class, but I took it anyway. It was a great class. (I know that all of the honorarium checks have already been mailed, too,)

You may be in luck -- I think I still have a few Wilson 1911's.:rolleyes:

This one time at Dawg23's CHP class....

I took it and enjoyed it. It was worth the drive if I do say so myself.

You, on the other hand, may need one of my Lorcins. You already shoot too well with a Glock, and could be a real menace with a 1911.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    You, on the other hand, may need one of my Lorcins. You already shoot too well with a Glock, and could be a real menace with a 1911.

My Glock shooting has the left pull creeping back on me as I haven't consistently shot the thing in about a year. I was shooting the P30 for the class. I lub me some P30 and only shoot it as it is the carry piece. nom, nom, nom....

Top Bottom