Best crawfish bait???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I want to go crawfishing and its been a long, long time since I've done it. I can't remember what kind of bait my Dad got but it looked like liver or something and I think they called it smelt or something like that. Anybody know what is best to use for crawfish nets??? Not traps, but nets...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's called, "Melt." It is cow pancreas. Those little buggers love it. It is hard to find nowadays because not alot of supermakets cut their own meat from whole. You can still find it in rural grocery stores though, and I guess you could ask the larger stores if they can get it in advance.

If you do find it and use it, crosscut it into 1-2" wide strips. As it loses it's color from being eaten and watersoaked, just squeeze it and the blood and goodness will ooze back out for a few more uses.

If you cant find melt, those little vultures will eat chiken necks too.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys....now I gotta find a place to go!!!! We used to go in the Bonnet-Carrie spillway when I was a kid. Don't know if thats even possible today.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks guys....now I gotta find a place to go!!!! We used to go in the Bonnet-Carrie spillway when I was a kid. Don't know if thats even possible today.

If you still can, set your nets in water around trees. A little harder, but worth the effort, cause the lazy f**ks won't put in the effort. Also, if the water is clear, try to muck it up as much as you can. Those little boogers can see you coming to pick up the net in clear water. Use a pole with a hook too.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Beef melt works very well....We usually pick some up at Scallan's meat mkt on North Airline in BR....But, we've caught plenty before on fish "leavings" (catfish heads, bass backbones, etc.), and even chunks of chopped up water moccasin!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Beef melt works very well....We usually pick some up at Scallan's meat mkt on North Airline in BR....But, we've caught plenty before on fish "leavings" (catfish heads, bass backbones, etc.), and even chunks of chopped up water moccasin!

Old school!;)

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    If you want to buy some beef melt then contact me. I have (4) 1 gallon bags in my freezer that I bought last year to use and never did. I want to get rid of it so if you want to come slip me $5 or $10 and take all I have I would be most appreciative.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    We will definitely keep you in mind when we are able to put a trip together. Currently getting over a hand injury but once thats ok'd by the docs, I'll be ready to get some nets and go try to catch some. Thanks for the offer for sure!!

sigman722

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Plaquemine
    I used to see Beef melt at the little bait shop in Ramah off the interstate. L&L Bait shop used to have number to that was several phones ago. Hope this can help ya!!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Is that bait you guys talking about them sticks that look like a piece of CHUCK on steroids ???????? I've helped my ex brother in law before a couple of times and he uses some thing that smells like dog food but looks like an 8 inch long by 2 inches round chuck looking thing not sure what it is, and some fish heads

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Is that bait you guys talking about them sticks that look like a piece of CHUCK on steroids ???????? I've helped my ex brother in law before a couple of times and he uses some thing that smells like dog food but looks like an 8 inch long by 2 inches round chuck looking thing not sure what it is, and some fish heads

When I bought mine, from Albertson's on Jones Creek, it was on a large styrofoam tray (approximately 8" x 18" wrapped up in saran wrap and was probably 6" to 8" thick. When I got it home, I let it sit out to thaw so I could cut it into 1" to 2" chunks. When it got soft enough to cut I opened the wrapping and almost gagged. It's just a real bloody meat and blood stinks. I think it was 8 to 10 pounds of this stuff. I made it through the ordeal and stuck it in the freezer dreading the day when the power might go out. That stuff would be the first to kick to the curb. lol

Top Bottom