Best deal on an entry level skeet/clay shotgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've seen a guy break 100 in a row, on a sanctioned skeet course, (Dallas Gun Club), with a $100 Mossberg Maverick from Academy.

Seen a guy with a $3500 Browning O/U, wearing Browning Shirt, Hat, Glasses miss every clay at Honey Island.

Learn to shoot before you spend big bucks. Money is better spent on more practice.

I own several nice shotguns, and shoot the best with a Ted Williams Sears & Roebuck 20ga pump with a poly choke.

Jfovs

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    I've been shooting skeet fairly regularly for quite a few years now but I'm still using a 1920's remington pump action. I wanna figure out what would be a good model to step into from that. Nothing fancy, but something that would maybe be more ideal for shooting skeet

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’d stay away fro the Tristar and yildiz entry level stuff. Someone was selling a Win Sx1 on here a while back. That would do as a starter.

If you’ve been shooting it a while you’ve seen that most use an OU. Something in the 1k range in an ou doesn’t buy you too much. Maybe a CZ or franchi OU

But 1k will buy some decent semi autos like an win sx4 or beretta a300.

The round count on something dedicated to skeet or sporting clays will go into the 1000s. And if you are serious into the 10s of 1000s. So spend accordingly.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I've been shooting skeet fairly regularly for quite a few years now but I'm still using a 1920's remington pump action. I wanna figure out what would be a good model to step into from that. Nothing fancy, but something that would maybe be more ideal for shooting skeet
    When I shot official skeet regularly, I used a Remington 1100. Most people used over/under double barrels.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    When I shot official skeet regularly, I used a Remington 1100. Most people used over/under double barrels.
    Same here. Good old, 1970's, Remington 1100. But as has been said, most people shot an over/under. It is easier to keep track of the shot hulls to reload, if nothing else. But don't discount your semi-antique Remington Pump. If you shoot it well, you could be a conversation piece on the range.

shotgunjim

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    Baton Rouge
    The browning citori either skeet or one of sporting clays models. Skeet and some sp clays models have a higher rib which I prefer. They are good solid o/u and good used ones can be found. try jaquas.com in ohio good folks to deal with and used guns you can try out. jim

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Ive put somewhere around 6-700 rounds through my beretta a400 just shooting skeet recreationaly with friends and have been quite pleased with it. My nephew shoots on a team ifor school and does quite well with a tristar over under. Either this model or similar. He shoots every week and has had no issues. Going on 2 years with it. I dont personnaly know what the advantage to the high rib is but they all seem to prefer them.

NAHMINT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LEARN TO SHOOT !! Well said !!
    over the years,I have had a FEW $$ shotguns........to be worth their money,yhey should be custom fitted.......I still shoot pretty O.K. with an old ITHACA DOUBLE12ga. with browning 20 ga. short inserts...........it works well as anyone I shoot with with their high end shotguns AND mine gets to lay down on the grass !!

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Don’t let the nay sayers scare you off from the Yildiz brand. I bought one 10 yrs ago to see if I’d like the o/u platform. I have since out over 5k rounds down that $500 gun with zero issues.

Top Bottom