Best for defense....Plain edge or Serrated edge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    The saga continues.....Had a "discussion" with a BAMF today regarding the better blade.

I prefer a plain edge, easier to sharpen, less drag and torque during ballistic cutting, and I believe produces a deeper cut when there is a barrier to defeat ie:denim, leather, shirt sleeve, etc.

What's your flavor and why?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I carry a plain edge paramiltary. Its not my 1st means of defense, but if I were to strictly carry a blade for personal defense, It'd be a serrated hawkbill, such as the Harpy or a Spyderhawk, or one of the "reverse S" models such as a Civilian or Matriarch. The serrations are indeed harder to sharpen if they get dull, but touchups on a 204 sharpmaker are not hard at all.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I carry a plain edge paramiltary. Its not my 1st means of defense, but if I were to strictly carry a blade for personal defense, It'd be a serrated hawkbill, such as the Harpy or a Spyderhawk, or one of the "reverse S" models such as a Civilian or Matriarch. The serrations are indeed harder to sharpen if they get dull, but touchups on a 204 sharpmaker are not hard at all.

I had a lot of interest in the SC civilian when it was introduced, I have only known 1 person who carried one and he claimed that although effective, the tall serrations tend to get hung up on fibrous material....now I am aware that that is the purpose of the serrations, but I wonder if the additional friction caused by the serrations makes for a shallower cut when overcoming barriers. On exposed flesh I must say that the civilian or any of the hawbilled blades that Richard mentioned are def F'N Scary.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Plain edge all day every day!!!!!

Luke Holloway is a firm believer in them and I trust his judgement being he has been in several blade attacks and has the scars to show the effect

Unless its a dual purpose blade, for defense only plain edge but for work the serrated is king

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    I'd say you are over thinking it, kind of a 9 vs 45 thing. I bet if you know how to fight with a knife and you have to, either will do.

I like plain blades for daily carry but for defense or hard use I'd go serrated.

Indeed it is over thinking, and I used the "230 Grain FMJ VS. 200 Grain HP" debate as an analogy in the original conversation. Both will get the job done, but I wanted to hear opinions for each.

:deadhorse:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Most experts, such as Michael Janich, Gabe Suarez and others, advocate plain edged blades for self -defense purposes for numerous reasons....

Do a Google search for Michael Janich

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Most experts, such as Michael Janich, Gabe Suarez and others, advocate plain edged blades for self -defense purposes for numerous reasons....

Do a Google search for Michael Janich

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Michael Janich is in my opinion one of the most realistic trainers in knife defense and offense....I have studied a fair amount of his MBC/CBC program. Suarez's guys trained under Janich and developed the defensive knife seminar that they now teach.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Michael Janich is in my opinion one of the most realistic trainers in knife defense and offense....I have studied a fair amount of his MBC/CBC program. Suarez's guys trained under Janich and developed the defensive knife seminar that they now teach.

Suarez guys trained under Tom Sotis with the Amok System IIRC, and they endorse Amok as part of their training curriculum

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Suarez guys trained under Tom Sotis with the Amok System IIRC, and they endorse Amok as part of their training curriculum

Here is the quote from MBC/Michael Janich:
    In November 2009, MBC founder and lead instructor Michael Janich conducted a special seminar for Gabe Suarez, renowned trainer and founder of Suarez International (SI), and a select group of his certified instructors. The goal of this training was to provide the SI instructor staff with targeted instruction in the MBC “Focus” program—a curriculum that focuses on the critical skills of the MBC standard-grip curriculum, selected other skills, and the MBC teaching methodology. At the conclusion of the training, Janich recognized all the SI instructors as “Authorized Trainers” in the MBC curriculum.

Not saying that they did not train AMOK, or only under Michael Janich, I am sure they have trained under several different instructors, as most do.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Plain edge. Although the Sharpmaker makes serrations easy to sharpen (especially with diamond rods), I still prefer a SHARP, durable plain edge for defensive work. If you want to take the guy out, stab. Even my multi-use stuff is plain edge.

Top Bottom