Best value single shot rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I'm looking to get a single shot .444, 45/70, or 35 Whelen for hunting.

It seems H&R and CVA are the primary manufactures. Which is "best" and why? What about different models by these manufactures?

I want to buy 2 this year and 1 before next season.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I really like my CVA Stalker 35 Whelen, price was good. I put a Nikon 3-9 BDC scope on it with the mount the rifle included, sighted it in and hunted a year with no shots, next year first hunt I got a deer and it was still dead on. 35 dropped him where he stood. It is not a fun cartridge to shoot, but it is absolutely lethal with the Barnes 180gr TTSX loads.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Rossi makes the "wizard" single shot rifle that accepts different barrels, 1 receiver can shoot any caliber they make. From memory they made rifle, shotgun and black powder barrels to fit, sort of a single shot weapons system.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Both are good rifles. It comes down to preference. My choice is the CVA in 44 mag. Great trigger, very accurate and ergonomic for me. That said i've fired the Handi-rifles and like them also. But the CVA points better for me, feels lighter (dont know if it actually is) and eats all of my reloads from mild specials to hot magnums with great accuracy.

bowhogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have an H&R in 35 Whelen. Taking it hog hunting in a couple of weeks. Nice groups on paper with Hornady 200gr. I'll let you know how the hogs like it. Has a bit of a kick and the trigger is kinda heavy. Both problems I can fix myself. For the price I consider it a deal. $220

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Local shop has H&R in 35 Whelen and 444 for $250 in black synthetic stock.
    I just missed a used H&R 444 with camo stock and Nikon scope that he sold this morning for $375.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a decided preference for the Handi rifles, currently have 5: .22Hornet, .223, 7mm Mauser, .44Mag/.445SM, and .444. Handis may or may not have certain peculiarities, such as needing an o-ring on the barrel stud along with bedding about
    1" at the rear of the forearm, or needing a touch of polishing on the trigger parts--easy to do, good info found in the Handi section over on the graybeard site. Be sure to keep the locking surfaces DRY, this is the primary cause of pop opens. The bad news is that production has ceased and Remington only uses certain sites as warranty repair centers. Rumors abound about whether production in some form will resume in the future. On the other hand with proper maintenance one will likely last a lifetime. Don't own a CVA so cannot comment. Would NOT own anything made by Rossi, 'nuf said. Should you go with a Handi and have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I closed my shop, but the memory ain't gone yet. GW

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I prefer the location of the breech open latch on the H&R. The CVA can open on you if you have it on your shoulder walking through the woods.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a single shot fan (Contender, Encore, #1) but unfortunately haven't used either of the two in question. That said, I've been really tempted to get one of the CVA Scouts in 35 Remington. I think the size and caliber is about perfect for a PW legal rifle in LA. If hunting over open fields where more range is needed I would go with the 35 Whelen but I've seen the forends break off the 35W CVA's several times so that's not the platform I'd choose for that cartridge.

Jim's Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Baton rouge, LA
    You can't go wrong with either brand.

Two things to keep in mind are 1) CVA rifles have been really hard to get in the last few months and 2) Handi-Rifles are no longer in production.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was able to find and handle both over the weekend.

I'm pretty much decided on the H&R 444 in realtree. Both Academy and TP had them for $250.

Now I just have to finish getting the cash together this week.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Whit, I don't know if you bought yours yet or not, but the Academy on Veterans in Metairie has a regular blue/wood H&R in 444 for $149.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Both are good rifles. It comes down to preference. My choice is the CVA in 44 mag. Great trigger, very accurate and ergonomic for me. That said i've fired the Handi-rifles and like them also. But the CVA points better for me, feels lighter (dont know if it actually is) and eats all of my reloads from mild specials to hot magnums with great accuracy.

I bought one of those when Academy had them for $139. It's a great gun. To me it does feel more ergonomic than the competition. It's reasonably accurate too.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I bought 2 Realtree H&R 444 at Academy in West Monroe for $199. It was the last 2 Realtree 444 they had.
    Topped they with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40.

41a544e4f9c0f9fec85383b10e1ab4e4.jpg

I got the black scope and rings from Sports Optics / Interstate Guns and they price matched Amazon. The Realtree scope is a discontinued model and they couldn't get one so I got it from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    I bought 2 Realtree H&R 444 at Academy in West Monroe for $199. It was the last 2 Realtree 444 they had.
    Topped they with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40.

41a544e4f9c0f9fec85383b10e1ab4e4.jpg

I got the black scope and rings from Sports Optics / Interstate Guns and they price matched Amazon. The Realtree scope is a discontinued model and they couldn't get one so I got it from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice score!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom