best way to avoid getting screwed?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I found a nice rifle I want to purchase but it is n Tampa Fl. he said I can pu in Tampa or he will ship to my ffl on his dime. how can I make sure this is on up and up?

the ad was on la sportsman

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You can not pick it up in Tampa.

The only way to truly not get screwed is to have him come to an agreement with your FFL that he ships it to them and then, upon receipt, you (or they) send him the money before they release the gun to you.

Good luck with that, though.

That said, I've never had any issues buying guns online. Do whatever research you possibly can on the seller and deal based on that. Most people who would scam you on certain things aren't stupid enough to scam on a firearm sale.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Like said above you can make arrangements with the FFLs.

That being said, I have been pretty lucky with people I have done deals with. I do lots of trades of firearms and some guys send their gun to me first and sometimes I send my gun to them first. Most people who intend to screw you over will show signs of that type of behavior in their posts or emails. If they are brash and seem like assholes then stay away. Of course this may not always be the case. Most people are afraid to screw you over on guns because they are traceable and often involve third parties.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    You can not pick it up in Tampa.

The only way to truly not get screwed is to have him come to an agreement with your FFL that he ships it to them and then, upon receipt, you (or they) send him the money before they release the gun to you.

Good luck with that, though.

That said, I've never had any issues buying guns online. Do whatever research you possibly can on the seller and deal based on that. Most people who would scam you on certain things aren't stupid enough to scam on a firearm sale.

Ditto.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Almost every story of getting scammed when buying a gun not FTF, the seller was from Florida. For that matter every car buying scam story I've read about was from Florida. Something about the state laws make it easy to pull scams with little or no chance of getting busted.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the replies. I decided it was to great of a risk to send him (porchia) my cash for a promise. Also why would some one in Tampa, FL advertise on Louisiana Sportsman website? It was a Springfield M1A Loaded new in the box for $1250.00 shipped. Good deal huh? Well thats why I almost jumped on it. When googling (sp?) it appears some scams have originated from the Tampa area. Lastly, the phone number he sent me did not come up on a white pages search. Anyway....thanks for the advice.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I've paid the FFL where he is shipping it from and told them not to release the funds until my FFL has cleared the gun and I have checked it. Most are good about doing that.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've paid the FFL where he is shipping it from and told them not to release the funds until my FFL has cleared the gun and I have checked it. Most are good about doing that.

^ I would do this if you are concerned (For future reference)

FFL's usually haveto have a local Tax permit And are regulated by the ATF.

VERY FEW are dumb enough to want to attract the ATF's attention, so if your going through one of them... it's pretty safe.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think the main tip-off would be that he's advertising on LA Sportsman and he's in Tampa, FL. I don't think it would ever occur to me to put something in a local rag from another state (especially that far away) as opposed to going with Gunbroker first.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Looks like I did indeed avoid stepping on the mine. Here is another guy who was taken by porscott (the same guy who was selling the M1A).

Kimber scam please read guys
    I hope none of you have sent username 'porscott' 700 bucks for his kimber cdp II. rnrnThe guy is a scammer out of tampa florida. His number is 813-863-5980. I googled the number and there were people on several forums who have been scammed by the guy.rnrnWhat this piece of crap does is offer a gun for sale. Ask that you send a money order. Then never mails the gun.rnrnPeople like this screw things up for everybody. MOds need to ban him asap.rnrnrnHere is a link to the add.rnhttp://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=124595

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That's the kind of thing the ATF 'should' be working on!

I think the large number of scammers from Florida is due to the large number of seniors there. Those scammers aren't just doing gun scams.

I think if I were going to buy a gun from Florida I'd drive there, inspect the gun, then hand him the money in a UPS office as he ships it to my FFL. That way its all legal and you know its on the way.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    florida

I was told one time that if a criminal gets caught they get bail and disapear.the case goes to court and defendand does not show up the judge fines them the bail money,and the trial is over.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    well even though this is embarrasing if it helps to keep someone else from making the same mistake... Its a scam and she got me. Apparently there is more than one person doing the same bit. The add is on sportsman right now and I found it questionable as well but went against my gut. She produced a FFL which was valid and I got caught. Been buying guns on line for years but never had any issues guess I got too comfortable. The name she use is yolanda marquina out of Tampa Florida. However a Monique Kimbro I think signed for the package. I only found out about this site from some of you guys who responded to my add on sportsman after the fact. I have contacted the ATF and reported the incident. They said they are going to look into it and will contact me but, I dont see anything positive coming out of this. I would like to say thank you to those of you who took the time to contact me it is much appreciated. Please save any harsh comments you may have, trust me you cant beat me up anymore than what Iam doing to myself. Anyways I hope others see this and it helps them. The FFL is registered to a buisness GPI. Oh and the email address she used is yomarq@live.com

the last message she sent said this:

hi,
    you are so unbelievable...just because you did not hear from me for a few hours means i have screwed you? thats a wrong thinking..you should stop that pls, anyway..i got an emergency call about private family issues so i have been out of the computer. i sent your rifle regular mail this afternoon. you should get it in 3days

Yeah, wow

Last edited:
    Top Bottom