Best way to kill raccoons and opossums?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My possums look different around here?

Attachments

• toes.jpg
      toes.jpg
      125.2 KB · Views: 40

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I hate possums! Caused my old beagle to hurt her back chasing them in the yard. That was a hefty vet bill. After that I started trapping them in the yard and relocating them. Well, most of them. I caught over 50 of those damn things in Metairie. they would also try to get to my chickens at 2-3 in the morning. That made a lot of noise! Haven't trapped them in a couple of years but my son says he saw one in the yard recently and the lab went to barking like crazy again like 1:30 in the morning.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    The problem with possum is that they'll eventually get into your gardens.
    Other than that, I give them a pass.
    Racoons will kill and eat a cat. There used to be a large population where I live. Not so much anymore, . . .
    Armadillos meet their maker.

Hav a heart trap. Garbage can of water. A brick. Swimming lessons.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I hate possums!
    I don't hate them in general, but I did have a running feud with a particular one at a WMA that broke into my gear and tried to eat my creamer. Getting between a man and his morning coffee is a bad idea. I tried very hard to murder it the next couple nights, but it seemed to know to beeline in the direction of other campers. Similar to hogs sticking to sloughs adjacent to the road - they somehow know they're safer there.
    City boy heathens, BBQ racoon is pretty tasty.
    I don't know where the scent glands are on them. Some day I'll need to have someone show me how to skin animals I haven't hunted yet.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    The refutation is using speculation to "prove" the original was wrong, and is using a limited test to refute it.

Low body temp would make opossoms a less than idea target for a tick, so in the wild or during certain seasons they may not be a prime target for a tick. They bathe so frequently that a tick may not often get an opportunity to latch on. Opossums are bathing/grooming machines and they'd probably eat anything that wasn't a dead leaf or mud. They have very dexterous and strong little hands too. I had a blind and deaf Opossum for 3 years, lived a very pampered life, but I've also worked hands-on and closely with wildlife for 10 years. Just from experience I'm a strong believer in them eating ticks on them, though the 5000 number is total BS just like 95% of other statistics *drum roll*.

Manimal gives the whole opossoms-ticks and studies a "eeehhh", one grade above a "meh".

They are useful fodder for the ecosystem, they balance things in a good way & give owls, hawks, and cars things to eat.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Have a raccoon and an opossum that terrorize the neighborhood (kids playing and neighbors have outdoor cats). Found the raccoon out in the open today and shot it with my crossbow, but only have mechanical heads and field points. Wanted to avoid shooting it with a firearm as I'm literally on the other side of the street from the edge of city limits, but as I suspected it was too small for the shock collar to break - broadhead didn't expand properly and now I have a fence slat to replace on top of losing an expensive bolt. Ended up having to shoot it anyway. Field points wouldn't be ethical even on a lung shot since it wasn't sufficient with the mechanical broadhead, so I'm wondering what I should do about the opossum. Would a fixed broadhead work, or is it still too much overkill with a crossbow? Should I just bite the bullet and invest in an airgun or something?
    I had both for a long time. I trapped the raccoons and moved them to the woods a few miles away. I leave the opossums alone now. At most I spray them with the water hose. They don’t hurt anything and provide some good for insects/ticks etc..

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I have not had good luck using .22 CB to kill raccoons, even at 3 feet in a live trap. Had to resort to .22LR as I had no .22 S or L to try.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My girlfriend like possums so we have possums here that come out at night to eat. I do not like damn coons they come too and I send them to coon heaven

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    The raccoons make so much noise in my yard at night fighting each other they wake me up.

One night they were fighting and when they toppled over my cement bird bath a little raccoon got trapped under the wash basin when it landed upside down. I didn’t know it was under there until I went in the yard and flipped it back over several hours later. That poor little raccoon was all kinds of discombobulated. It staggered to the fence and slowly climbed over and out of the yard. They haven’t been in the yard for a while since I stopped using my ground feeder for the birds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom