best way to sharpen a knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    You can't just go at it like buttering bread.QUOTE]

:rofl:

I use a whet stone @ 20 degree angle then pass it on the ceramic rod at about 17 or 18 degrees a few times.

My knives stay razor sharp. When you can hold up a piece of paper and slice it down the middle it's as sharp as you want to get it

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Best way I've found to sharpen a knife, is to pay someone else that knows how to do it! I'm horrible at it, and have no problem paying someone a couple bucks to put a shaving edge on my knives.

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have always used Arkansas Stones, but I gat a Cabelas Gift card for Christmas and used it to pick up a GATCO ( very similar to Lansky) Ultimate Diamond Sharpening system and I am Amazed at how sharp and how fast I re-profiled a blade and got it razor sharp.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwP-2xBphI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXnSwPhyosA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y68flyZqHw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SvWabXMfcs[/ame]

Best tutorial I've found so far.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    best sharpener in world is the wickededge. go to web site for demo. Unbelievable.
    I have this and love it! Havbe almost all the stones and strops. Shaving sharp is where i start considering a knife even sharpened! I might have to start offering sharpening as a service on my site now that I think about it.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    i was given a worksharp for christmas and it is the best i have ever used. I have a chef's choice and it does not hold a candle to the worksharp.

smith625: how has it held up since Jan 2011? any updates? would you still recommend it?

Has anyone purchased one lately? I've been wanting to buy one for quite some time... need that last piece of advice. ;)

mdr

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Have a worn out chef's choice. Loved it while it lasted. Just got a workshap for Christmas and like it much better. When the belts wear out just buy new ones. They stock them at bass pro. Also works well on lawnmower blades, ax, chisel etc.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    For years, I've used a Sharpmaker and a strop but I never let my knives get dull before I put the edge to the stone. So much easier to touch it up then resharpen, especially with the new steels.

Ordered it today. Can't wait for it to get here.

I've been eyeballing those things. Let me know how you like after you get it.

rdd1228

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Youngsville,LA
    Originally Posted by kcinnick
    I use a spyderco sharpmaker, their may be a better way, but their is no easier way.
    This, it is wonderful.

This is all I use. I am the designated "knife sharpener" at my deer camp. 40 licks on each grit and you have a good edge. Just a little more work for a shaving edge. Been using it for 30 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom