bifocals or progressive lens?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    I have had both and rather the progressive lens. Some say they can't get used to them but I didn't have much trouble. After about two days I didn't even notice the new lenses.

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Unfortunately I have experience in this matter. I went progressives. You just have to put them on and tough it out for a day or two and you should get used to them.

At least that's how it worked for me.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have progressives and they work just fine for me. I didnt have to get used to them or anything. I have them for mypersonal glasses and my safety glasses at work.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I use both. I'm been in progressives to over 10 years and you get use to them pretty quickly. I'm lucky and can read a book without glasses but I can read with the progressives if it's just a quick read. The progressives have a small area to focus through at a specific working length so at work, I'm a dentist, I use bifocals because they let me move my head around more. If you're looking for anothe roption I know people who wear one contact lens for distance and another for reading. They say the brain figures out which one to pay attention to.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I have bifocals that I just started wearing, but hate them. They make me dizzy if I look up/down alot. At work, I mainly use a cheap pair of reading glasses in order to be able to see up close, I take them off for anything out of arms reach. I wonder if the progressives might work better for me.

Bam Bam

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    I do this for a living. Progressives give you more options. They give you far, intermediate, and near all in the same lens. There are what are called "free-form" progressives that are custom made to your eyes. Meaning there are five extra measurements that are taken to make those kind of progressives to make sure that when you look at a certain distance the location of your eye and that location of the lens line up. They are very nice, and also have a wider reading area. any progressive is adaptable, it may take a few days to a week, but when fit correctly it takes hours normally not days.

A lined bi-focal will give a bit wider area, but will give you "image jump" when you cross the line and can give some people fits also. The line bi-focal can give you a wider reading area, but it's limited you get two distances far and near there isn't any in between with lined bi-focals.

Both will work, progressives tend to work better in my opinion but many people are happy in either. Progressives are going to be more than lined bi-focals and a "free form" progressive will not be available at wal-mart and the like. However much like guns you get what you pay for. Hope that helps some.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I've had trifocals for about 25y and have never considered progressive as I like the tris so much.

My wife has progressive and loves them.

I used contacts until I needed reading glasses. If I have to put glasses on to read, I will wear them all the time. My first pair of glasses was in 1952.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If you're looking for another option I know people who wear one contact lens for distance and another for reading. They say the brain figures out which one to pay attention to.

My contacts are set up this way. Dominant right eye is distance and left is closeup. It's usually not an issue but I wear bifocal glasses for lengthy reading. Otherwise I strain and get headaches.

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    Well if we are now on to talking about contact lenses. Not only is mono vision (one contact lens for far and one for near) a viable option, but there are now newer bi-focal/multi-focal contact lenses that work on the majority of people. They still aren't 100% successful on everyone but they work quite well at this point, I am about 80% success rate in my office.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Well if we are now on to talking about contact lenses. Not only is mono vision (one contact lens for far and one for near) a viable option, but there are now newer bi-focal/multi-focal contact lenses that work on the majority of people. They still aren't 100% successful on everyone but they work quite well at this point, I am about 80% success rate in my office.

Good to know Doc. I just turned 50 and my vision is declining. Too bad you aren't around Prairieville.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I got trifocal progressive glasses last year, and wore them for three days. I vomited about four times from the weird way stuff would slide into and out of focus. It literally made me nauseous. They're really great-looking glasses if I put on my old glasses to look at them, but they're in the desk where they've been for about a year. The middle band is so narrow that if you inhale it will slide off your perspective, and the reading section is sort of round at the bottom of the lens instead of being a band all the way across. This means if you turn your head your subject will go out of focus. If I were doing it again I'd get bifocals or just take the damned things off for reading like I do now.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    CE, you sound like me. Just turned 50 in October and have the same issues. Right eye is dominant and has correction for distance (-1.00 I think) and I leave the left unaided for close up stuff. Problem is, right now I find I'm grabbing the readers all the time for close up stuff. Are you having any issues with shooting pistols? I find now that my sights on my pistols are kinda blurry but the target is in focus.

Top Bottom