Big Boy Steam Locomotive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    My wife and I saw it twice late last year. It stopped and spent the night in Palestine, Tx so we drove over about 30 miles to see it. People were there from the Houston area and south Texas, as well as some from La. and Ok.

The next day it came through our town, Jacksonville so we got to see it moving, and got back to our car and followed it along the highway, US 79 for a couple of miles before we turned off toward home. Fantastic sight, those freight and passenger cars are also huge.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    Friday evening - watched Big Boy 4014 backed into Audubon Park - where RR track crosses Jefferson Hwy - between Ocshner Hosp & Orleans Parish Line. I wanted to see it moving as well as displayed at rest. It had steam, blasted whistle and made several lateral, low to the ground steam releases, but was not under its own power. There was a diesel locomotive, with two huge diesel fuel tank cars, coupled behind the coal car, that was powering the entourage. Makes sense. I wondered how they could possibly carry and stoke enough coal to power this beast. Although not under power, just seeing the reciprocating drive action and rotation of the 16 - 68" diameter wheels was very impressive. Steam Punk to the max!

I was told that 4014 leaves the Fly in Audubon Sunday around 10:00 am, headed toward Luling ,via the Huey P. Long Bridge, going home.

Learned of the Louisiana Steam Train Association 1501 Jefferson Hwy, NOLA 7021-2429; Office 504.539.4600. >https://lsta.org< Members were handling security and traffic at the crossing and passing out lapel pins.

They are rebuilding Southern Pacific Steam Locomotive 745 (SP745), near the Ocshner Helo Pad, on the Lake side of Jefferson Hwy. They are planning to make a historic run on the New Orleans and Gulf Coast Railway (NOGC). Donations needed.

>https://www.gofundme.co/sp745<

I believe that this was the organization that had rides in the past. They had rides to Hattiesburg and back and I took my kids(now in their 40's) one year. They stopped just outside of Hattiesburg and let everyone off, then backed up and then came around the bend at full steam so that we could take photos. I live in Luling and I took some photos last Sunday there.

21t4n3bh2ujp9feux3az.jpg

3ouh8rxjmq6bw81rglv.jpg

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I believe that this was the organization that had rides in the past. They had rides to Hattiesburg and back and I took my kids(now in their 40's) one year. They stopped just outside of Hattiesburg and let everyone off, then backed up and then came around the bend at full steam so that we could take photos. I live in Luling and I took some photos last Sunday there.

I went on one in ‘80-‘81. They would change engines each year. The year I went they had a Northern 4-8-4. That was great until on the way back I stuck my head out of the window. Coal cinders in the eye BURN like Hot Lava! The next year they had a diesel. Not into the diesel for that price.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I drove down to a railroad crossing just north of Plaquemine to watch Big Boy go past. What fun that was ... I'm no railroad expert, but I was awed to see such a herculean machine in action like that.

Mike

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    [/QUOTE

Thanks for your video posting - enjoyed watching it. Unfortunately/ fortunately, I got hooked into related videos.

The first one is a video and "SHOW MORE" narrative about "...Almost Runs Out Of Water in Louisiana 08/23/2021.

The second is story about restoration of the FIRST Air Force One, and the 4140. Many other related videos - had to tear self away.

THANKS AGAIN!

LA Water [FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShbt8eXHxc

1s[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]t Air Force One [/FONT][FONT=&quot] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7d5fyfqCwQ[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Cajun2wheels

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I had every intention of checking out Big Boy as it passed through Alexandria but I had a doc appointment so I had to miss it.I do appreciate the pics and videos.

Top Bottom