Biker Killed, Once Again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I used to ride. A bike was my only transportation for a long time. Also worked at a Harley shop. Just had to many close calls thru the years & it is worse today with the increased amount of traffic & distracted drivers on the roads. My wife won't ride & I can't really blame her. I damn sure wouldn't ride in town anymore.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Biker chooses to ride motorcycle once again despite knowing that the roads are full of stupid people driving heavy, immovable boxes of steel.

You'll never fix stupid so to pretend like it's an awareness problem among those of us that don't ride is asinine.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Biker chooses to ride motorcycle once again despite knowing that the roads are full of stupid people driving heavy, immovable boxes of steel.

You'll never fix stupid so to pretend like it's an awareness problem among those of us that don't ride is asinine.

Are you declaring that all riders are stupid, or am I mis interpreting what you are saying?

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you declaring that all riders are stupid, or am I mis interpreting what you are saying?

I'm declaring that accidents, avoidable and unavoidable, happen. I'm also declaring that anyone who has the mental capacity to operate a motor vehicle is also capable of making the determination that a motorcycle is inherently less safe than a car when being operated on a road full of cars and trucks.

Anyone who operates a motorcycle is rolling the dice much harder than someone who doesn't so why all the extra outrage when an inattentive driver happens to kill a biker?

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    "to pretend like it's an awareness problem among those of us that don't ride is asinine."

I hate to break it to ya pal, but it IS an awareness problem. The bit of construction around the seat of your car isn't there to protect you from the swerving and crashing of an inattentive bumper-car course.

You are right about one thing - you can't fix stupid.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    "to pretend like it's an awareness problem among those of us that don't ride is asinine."

I hate to break it to ya pal, but it IS an awareness problem. The bit of construction around the seat of your car isn't there to protect you from the swerving and crashing of an inattentive bumper-car course.

You are right about one thing - you can't fix stupid.

Are you really trying to make the argument that an automobile doesn't offer any more protection from a collision than a motorcycle?

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Of course not. A piece of paper offers technically "more" protection than nothing at all.

I am saying that the structure of a car wasn't designed to allow people to crash about with no consequences. If that were the case then cars would have hardened steel roll cages and would be surrounded by a hard rubber bumper. Then people could talk on their cell phones and dig on the radio and look off into the sunset all they wanted, while they bumped about the rails and other drivers unhindered.

Cars do offer a layer of protection but it is our awareness that is supposed to keep us in our own lanes, at an appropriate speed, etc. This is why we all have to pass tests of our vision, knowledge of traffic laws, and mechanical aptitude in order to be issued a liscence to drive. A motorcycle IS inherently less safe than a car - so motorcycle drivers must pass additional tests.

Inattentiveness is one of the worst problems on the roads today. With cell phones and other digital media so predominant in our lives it is easy to see 50% or more drivers in traffic paying attention to that primarily, and then with whatever attention left over, they give that to driving. So yes, I think bikers have a right to try to raise awareness levels, and I applaud the billboards and bumper stickers attempting to do that.

I absolutely agree that a biker is "rolling the dice much harder" than the auto driver. But, that doesn't give the autos carte blanche to run those bikes over with the excuse "they knew what they were getting in to."

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I am saying that the structure of a car wasn't designed to allow people to crash about with no consequences. If that were the case then cars would have hardened steel roll cages and would be surrounded by a hard rubber bumper.

I'm glad someone else noticed. Maybe you can tell me wtf they put airbags in 'em. Seems like a waste. Bikes don't got 'em.

I absolutely agree that a biker is "rolling the dice much harder" than the auto driver. But, that doesn't give the autos carte blanche to run those bikes over with the excuse "they knew what they were getting in to."

That's ridiculous. Absolutely no one has said that. Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I'm declaring that accidents, avoidable and unavoidable, happen. I'm also declaring that anyone who has the mental capacity to operate a motor vehicle is also capable of making the determination that a motorcycle is inherently less safe than a car when being operated on a road full of cars and trucks.

Anyone who operates a motorcycle is rolling the dice much harder than someone who doesn't so why all the extra outrage when an inattentive driver happens to kill a biker?

Bravo.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    So I guess the solution to save lives is to ban motorcycles? But by all means, allow operators of a 3,000+ pound moving objects multi-task with texting, reading the morning paper, putting on makeup, stuffing their faces......

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The solution is to man up and accept the responsibility and consequences of your decisions, rather than shoving it off on someone else and lamenting that it's not the way it should be. It is what it is. Adapt. All the "visualizing" safe motorcycles in the world won't make it so.

You're back with the childish exaggeration about banning. It is a weak excuse for an argument and it makes it very difficult to take you seriously.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I didn't notice the motorcycle because I was reading the roadside sign advising me to watch for motorcycles.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    The solution is to man up and accept the responsibility and consequences of your decisions, rather than shoving it off on someone else and lamenting that it's not the way it should be. It is what it is. Adapt. All the "visualizing" safe motorcycles in the world won't make it so.

You're back with the childish exaggeration about banning. It is a weak excuse for an argument and it makes it very difficult to take you seriously.

I was being sarcastic. Lighten up.

Cars crash into cars, motorcycle crash into motorcycles, boats crash into....... I understand when you have machines and throw the human factor into the mix, there will be error (accidents). In a nutshell, "$hit happens"

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I was being sarcastic. Lighten up.

Cars crash into cars, motorcycle crash into motorcycles, boats crash into....... I understand when you have machines and throw the human factor into the mix, there will be error (accidents). In a nutshell, "$hit happens"

I must have been wound a little tight when I read that. Missed the sarcasm. Forgive mine.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Horrible anytime something like this happens. I am not sure what kind of Kawosiki (sp?) he was on but I know one thing. I get passed by crazy people on crotch rockets all the time.....not just passed but have my doors nearly sucked off it feels.

Not too long ago I was going down the highway and looked in my mirror as I prepared to change lanes as I came to slower traffic........I did not see a bike but before I could get over a crotch rocket passed me doing well over 100mph.....loud as hell it scared the crap out of me. If I would have changed lanes he could have been killed. Would that have been my fault? No way to watch for them when they are acting like that.

Def. not saying that is the case every time but people on crotch rockets tend to act crazy more often and usually pay the price more often.

I hate to hear of a biker killed. Most of my family ride bikes......Dad, uncles, aunt, their friends.....all ride Harleys. You never want to hear of someone getting killed on a bike, or any other way for that matter.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I didn't notice the motorcycle because I was reading the roadside sign advising me to watch for motorcycles.

I thought I was the only one that thought that was kind of funny to be reading the sign instead of watching where I was going. After a lot of crashes (not bikes) on La 37 Greenwell Springs Rd. people have put up signs along from Wax to Hooper. Same deal if I'm reading your signs I'm not watching the road.

Top Bottom