Bipod: Swivel or not to swivel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Looking for some advice here guys. So I made up my mind to get a Harris bipod with the notched legs. Should I get the swim all or nine swivel version? I'm looking for opinions from those who have this bipod. I've also noted down to the 6 to 9 inch bipod. Thanks for the feedback. Furthermore, if any you guys are looking to sell your bipod let me know. Thanks.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    No swivel for me, I have atlas bipod, the harris with swivel and no swivel and I don't find a need for it. Now my harris bipod usually are on my 308 AR, what kind of rifle?

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    The reason for a swivel, or at least one of them, is to help prevent reticle/rifle cant. If you're going to use that rifle on a cement bench, or prone on a cement pad, you could keep the reticle perpendicular/no cant fairly easy with a no- swivel bipod. But why fight it when you can reach forward with your offhand, make an adjustment on the swivel handle and be good to go in @ 5 seconds?
    Here's a quick read on the effects of reticle cant. It uses 1k yards as a measure, which you more than likely won't be shooting with the rifle you mentioned. However, if you're going to shoot that rifle for precision, don't fool yourself that a few degrees of reticle cant won't effect your POI at shorter distances.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

Have used, Harris, Sinclair, and Atlas....it's a personal preference thing in choosing, as well as what you intend for it's use. Most are in the 6-9 range, depending on brand/model.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If your going Harris 6-9" Notch Leg Swivel with a KMW pod loc is the only way to fly for bench and prone. If you want more rugged and have the coin then ATLAS. For practical / field shooting conditions, if you buy anything else you might as well put your dick on an anvil, grab a hammer and swing away.

Last edited:

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    good question, I'm glad someone asked it.

i'm in the market for a bipod as well, and don't feel like doing the research. what did you all end up buying, being that the atlas and harris are the 2 options

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    The rifles that I push out to 600 yards and beyond wear atlas bipods ( swivels) . The .22LRs and shorter distance rifles wear Harris bipods. The atlas feels sturdier with Heavy rifles in Heavy calibers. The cant function is also stiffer, which matters to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom