Black powder charges

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I've never shot a black powder gun, but I have some interest in doing so. I like historical type things.

My grandpa has a collection of reproduction confederate black powder pistols and one or two rifles that he used to build from kits as a hobby. They are functional percussion guns, but he never shoots them.

I imagine that when he passes away they will come to me, since I'm the only one in the family who would appreciate them.

What I don't know, however, is how to determine what powder charge to use. I don't know if he kept the manuals with them, since he just built them and then put them in a display case. I could slug the barrels to determine what size ball to use, but I know nothing about determining an appropriate powder charge.

I don't know exactly what kinds of guns are in there since I haven't been there in a few years, but one of them is a pepperbox revolver, one is a single shot pistol with a bowie knife blade under the barrel, and there are three or so more in the case.

How do you figure out what charge to put in a black powder gun? Work your way up? How do you tell if you're using too much?

Digger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi Leadslugga, Try this site and you should find all the info you need
    http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/linklist.htm I know that for rifles you can try between 50 and 80 grains of real black powder. I shoot mainly all Flintlock rifles and a flint pistol in .50 cal. In my .50 and .54 cal rifles I use 70 grains of fffg powder for target and competion, and a 100 grainns for Deer hunting.
    Hope this helps.
    Digger

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Go and buy the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. Lots of info on all types of muzzeloaders, cap and ball revolvers, shotguns, load data, etc.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    The back of the Dixie Gun Works catalog has suggested load info for just about anything black powder. May as well get a catalog now as if you shoot black powder you'll be ordering something from them.

Follow this old thread for finding true black powder. Take a trip to Marksville and meet the city judge who is a hardcore Civil War re-enactor.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yeah those look at lot like the ones he has. But again, it has been a few years since I saw them. Those are probably them, though. I doubt there are too many like that out there.

Of course, he build his over 20 years ago, so they might not be the exact same models or anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom