Blackhawk Serpa holster review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Today I went on a search to find a good OWB holster for my 92 and finally settled on this one. I have no experience with any other holster other than an Uncle Mike's-esque OWB holster for my Taurus. It is nothing special, just has a snap that goes over the back end of the gun for "retention." Ever since I saw Derrick Redd's serpa I loved how it worked.

I have not carried with it yet, but so far I see no downsides other than having to get used to drawing from a serpa holster. With my other one, as long as the snap is undone, it is a straight draw. It is tough having to pull and push the release. I am sure this will go away with some experience in drawing. The retention on the gun is awesome and is adjustable to control just how hard you have to pull to get the gun out. It also came with 2 backs to it. One is a paddle and the other is just a clip to attach it to a belt.

The paddle and holster also have three small hooks to make it hard to pull the paddle out. It is TOUGH to get off.

Price: $40+some change after tax at 10-8 tactical

Dredd

Punisher
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Jun 16, 2007
    Folsom, LA
    :cool: I have a blackhawk for my delta elite 10mm, sig 226, and my g22. Just practice with it a little and you'll be fine.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Have one for my P2kSK. It's just a natural action for me. Release catch as you draw and my finger just stays along the frame in ready position.

Dave

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    It is VERY easy, but it is just getting used to a different gun being on my hip and having to get my finger in the right spot.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Have one for my P2kSK. It's just a natural action for me. Release catch as you draw and my finger just stays along the frame in ready position.

Dave

Ditto! I just love that it locks in my gun. I also have a 5-11 holster that works well but it doesn't lock the gun in. I like the serpa better cause I keep checking the 5-11 cause I think the gun may of gotten loose.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 but work with it first. My first one was defective. It worked fine for a while, then wouldn't release my pistol. Blackhawk swapped it out with no problems.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I own four and never had a problem from day one. They are good inexpensive holsters.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I like having the button because it is just one more thing a BG has to go through if he wants to disarm me. I would think most BG who spur of the moment are trying to disarm someone would never figure out to push the button in.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I wear one any time I am in plain clothes or going to the range, its a great holster. They just released a serpa for the X26 taser, I want it!

I use the belt slide back on mine, the paddle back wasnt comfortable and was a PITA to get on/off

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I wear one any time I am in plain clothes or going to the range, its a great holster. They just released a serpa for the X26 taser, I want it!

I use the belt slide back on mine, the paddle back wasnt comfortable and was a PITA to get on/off

yea it took me forever to get the paddle off

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Its the only thing i wear....I really like the blackhawk products...They have got there crap together.Order a catalog if you want to drool..!!!!LOL....

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Getting a retention paddle holster off is supposed to be a bit tricky - you don't want someone disarming you by yanking the whole rig off, gun and all.

It took me awhile to find a relatively easy way to get my Serpa off - and I got the method from a post on Opencarry.org. First remove your weapon (duh). Next, press down slightly on the holster with one hand while sliding the other inside your pants and pulling in on the inside portion of the paddle. While applying the inner pressure, rotate the paddle so that the top goes toward your back and the inside portion rotates upward to clear the inner clip and the front belt clip, then reverse the rotation to clear the rear clip. Takes only a second or two once you're used to it.

BTW, don't forget to change the belt clip location depending on the width of your belt; there's no point in having a retention holster that just slips off because the clips aren't locked around your belt.

Top Bottom