Blazer 9mm at Academy $7.49

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You guys better get ready to speed over to Academy. They have Blazer 9mm for $7.49. Only problem, limit 10 so bring a friend. They must have learned their lesson on the Winchester sale.

I just bought 500rds at the one on Airline in Baton Rouge and they had plenty left.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    No idea when the sale ends. I'm going to go to the one on Siegen this afternoon for another 500rds and will ask.

If it's a choice between the Monarch and Blazer, I'd go with the Blazer. They are cleaner, smell better, and are packaged better by far. No problems feeding in my P7 or USP. Other people have different opinions on Blazer aluminum and I'm sure they'll chime in and say it's going to blow your gun up.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    No idea when the sale ends. I'm going to go to the one on Siegen this afternoon for another 500rds and will ask.

Academy's website says sale is good until 8/23.

I may have to try some of this myself. The Blazer Brass ran fine in my EAA Witness.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My Dad and I priced the reloading supplies at Midway. He was trying to convince me it would be cheaper to reload since he did it a lot years ago.

Short story, he now agrees the savings wouldn't be worth the time at the current prices.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Short story, he now agrees the savings wouldn't be worth the time at the current prices.

Exactly. I'd have to shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds for it to work out economically (just to pay for the equipment). But then I wouldn't have the time to reload all of it.

Hell, I hate reloading MAGAZINES let alone each and every damn cartridge that goes into them.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    While ammo may not be too bad now, just as the past has shown, prices will rise. A reloading press is definitely a long term investment unless you do a lot of shooting then it obviously pays off quick.

The average cost of my rounds are around .15/each. That is using range pick up brass (1000/$30), CCI #500 primers (1000/$21), bullets (500/$45), and powder which is very little cost per round so I didn't even care to factor it in. Brass can be reused so that can cut off .03 per round if you are careful enough to police up all brass and can be reloaded numerous times. I have some that started brand new and I have reloaded 6 times now and it has yet to show any signs of splitting or cracking. Buy in bulk or catch the components on sale and the price goes down even more.

Now that is numbers for reloading 9mm. I cannot speak for other calibers since all I currently reload in 9mm.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    At that price it's $7.50/box. Call me crazy, but I don't see the savings.

You're right, .03/round is not much, but how often will it be on sale that cheap and how long will prices be that low? Read LSP's post above. I don't know how long ago that was, but notice prices have doubled (and then some, the $7.50 is the sale price). There was a member here who just within the past few weeks said he loaded some old stuff that he bought and his cost was .08/round. Stock up on supplies and when prices go up, your ammo is still cheap as can be.

Another plus to a press is the ability to reload odd-ball calibers and being able to fine tune your ammo.

Top Bottom