Bluing Techniques

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've been getting a lot of questions lately about what kind of finish should go on an AK rifle. Well I build AK's and my interests tend towards that peculiarity, but I have also developed an interest in bluing, so all my AK's (except the first two) are blued. I always hot-blue my rifles, because that's the technique I learned, and as they say, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail." Well I've hot-blued all my AK's and they look really great. I do it in my backyard, and excluding the two hours spent in metal preparation, the bluing process takes about two hours form, "Gee I'd like to blue my AK today." to an assembled blued AK.

Now if you haven't mixed up a batch of bluing salts, that takes a couple hours too and it costs about $135. They do not wear out as long as you don't contaminate them, and you can blue as many guns as you want.

You can read about hot bluing here

I've also recently read about a process which is said to be more durable (if that's possible) and a hell of a lot cheaper. It's the old fashioned rust-bluing method.

You can read about rust bluing here

I'm going to give it a try to see how well it works, but both methods produce beautiful guns. The hot-bluing is faster and it produces a deep black finish, but the rust bluing is cheaper, much more difficult, and produces a real blue finish which its proponents say is more durable. For you people who want to blue a gun you might try one of these methods. The threads are a good read.

Last edited:

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    I have had good result with Cold Blueing. I even had deep colors but you just have to keep reapplying it.

How well does cold blue hold up to Hot blue? Never seen the process happen so it would be something new.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have parking chemicals, and I hear the process involves pretty much just boiling the parts in the solution at about 200 degrees. It shouldn't be difficult at all. Now we'll need a stainless steel parking tank, because I'll be damned if I let you use my iron bluing tank, but that costs $150 from Brownells. An alternative would be a stainless restaurant food tray, but it would have to be about 27" long and at least 8" deep.

Last edited:

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I could bring one. A buddy and I Park from time to time and he's got a couple tanks...

Just let me know ahead of time...
    That would be mucho appreciated. I have a second PMKMS kit that after building, I would like to park before using KG GunKote.

Top Bottom