Boating at night legality

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    Also, You're supposed to have an inspection sticker for your trailer. However, comma, I've yet to see anyone write or receive a ticket for it. You would probable be the only person with one. One last thing, make sure you sign the back of your boats registration card. It's not valid unless signed.

autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    Also, You're supposed to have an inspection sticker for your trailer. However, comma, I've yet to see anyone write or receive a ticket for it. You would probable be the only person with one. One last thing, make sure you sign the back of your boats registration card. It's not valid unless signed.

They changed the trailer inspection requirement a few months ago actually. Also, you only have to have a life jacket on board for every person in the boat, you don't have to wear it in boats over 16'. You do have to have a fire extinguisher, throw cushion, and sound device. And a kill switch hooked to you. Don't store boat with kill switch hooked up, the plastic part stretches over time from the tension and you won't know it doesn't work. Learned the hard way.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Four pages filled with questions, misconceptions and explanations on the rules and regulations about driving a boat for Pete's sake. Do we really need all of these rules? Where did all of these rules come from and why are they necessary today when they were not necessary 30 years ago?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Real simple....more people on the water = more idiots on the water. There are plenty of people out there with money to spend on boats that should NOT be on the water. I see it every time I go out on the Amite, Diversion, Myrtle Grove/Barataria or Delacroix. Good example below....70-90,000 dollar rig and doesn't have radar???? Idiots.. 4 300's on that thing too.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28180179/boat-crashes-into-ruskin-marina

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Real simple....more people on the water = more idiots on the water. There are plenty of people out there with money to spend on boats that should NOT be on the water. I see it every time I go out on the Amite, Diversion, Myrtle Grove/Barataria or Delacroix. Good example below....70-90,000 dollar rig and doesn't have radar???? Idiots.. 4 300's on that thing too.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28180179/boat-crashes-into-ruskin-marina

$90,000? Each of the engines retails for over $30,000 so $120,000 for just the engines. It also does have a radar. You can see the Raytheon open antenna on the hard top. A radar does little good though if it is 12 feet above the water and the vessel is traveling at 50+ knots and has drunks and/or idiots at the helm.

The $400,000 +/- vessel was clearly traveling way too fast since the restaurant is over 100 feet from the water.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Velociraptor, that just tells me they were even more stupid..I read another article stating that the radar wasnt' being used either...People like that scare the hell out of me. This could have had a very bad ending by killing someone and they are very lucky. Fog and being on the water is a scary thing to begin with but to have the tools and equipment to travel safely and not use them is utter stupidity. It would be interesting to find out if they were impaired also...another thing to worry about on the water.

Folks, enjoy your SEA WORTHY (meaning having all safety equipment and systems functioning reliably) boats and please be responsible. Its great fun being on the water whether its a 14ft. flat or a 38 ft. Pursuit with twin diesels!! I personally cannot wait for this cold windy weather to go away so I can get out and catch some speckles!!

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    There is a minimum height requirement for the numbers/letters. Just buy them in the boat department of academy or Walmart and those will meet the requirements.

I was told by the agent that gave us the class that even though these are the correct size, they do not meet the requirement because they "must be of a plain block design". He said that most of the time an agent will not cite you for having the wrong font on the numbers, but that if you were being a dick towards an agent, or they wanted to add on another violation, they would cite you if the letter/numbers were not a block design. I don't own a boat, so I don't have to worry about it.

10149242.jpg

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    Four pages filled with questions, misconceptions and explanations on the rules and regulations about driving a boat for Pete's sake. Do we really need all of these rules? Where did all of these rules come from and why are they necessary today when they were not necessary 30 years ago?

There are about 4 centuries of admiralty law which is the basis for the running light Colrgegs. These are international regulations that mariners by agreement had put in place.

There is a reason for the light colors and the degree of visibility of each light. They serve a very distinct purpose and are quite logical if you understand the rules and lights. They help determine which vessel has the right of way in any given situation and are used for many more purposes other than marking a vessels position. There are not like marker lights on cars.

They may appear to be arbitrary but they are not.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    So yesterday I went out to my new camp wi th the boat. On the way out in th e afternoon I stopped to fish a little . Finish fishing and started the motor to leave and boom, don't go any where because the prop is completely gone. No cell service and there isn't a soul around. Run the trolling motor until the battery is dead and then tie up to a tree. I type a text message to my dad explaining what's going on and where I'm at. No service but the text sat pending in case I did get a signal. At some.point I caught a.signal and the text went out. Dad contacted a.freind and that guy contacted someone who knew was out there camping. Of course I don't know this because once again I don't have service. I'm tied to tree near an intersection and I hear a boat coming. He Flys through looking for something obviously but doesn't see me some kind of way and keeps going. I thought I was sleeping in the boat at that point. It's getting dark and cold. About an hour goes by and I hear the guy coming back. And all the sudden I remember that dam whistle I bought due to this thread. I dig it out real fast and he comes by and I whistle as hard as I can and he looked and saw me . He had been looking for me.
    That dam whistle long day.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I see a VHF radio purchase in your near future. You may even want to get an entry level ham radio license too. I can give you some information on the ham radio license if you're interested. Glad to hear about your adventure here instead on the evening news.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom