Bolt gun with detachable magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Prolly no scope books. Do some searches on the net.

The Bipod is a little high (ask me how I know) for long range. It would be good for short range like on a .22LR. Seriously look at shooting .22.

Nothing wrong with a 700. I would consider the Savage also.

You could save some on the rings & base.

Dude those rings and base are awesome. For $200 they are hard to beat, especially if he's dropping 1900 on a scopre ;)

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I got $4000.00 to spend on this gun. I want glass-rings-base and bipod that I wont have to replace for a long time and a gun that has a lot of upgrade parts for.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Prolly no scope books. Do some searches on the net.

The Bipod is a little high (ask me how I know) for long range. It would be good for short range like on a .22LR. Seriously look at shooting .22.

Nothing wrong with a 700. I would consider the Savage also.

You could save some on the rings & base.

Thank you for the bipod info I was torn between the 9-13 or 6-9. I think I better swap my choice back to the 6-9.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I think by going look for books this weekend would say I am wanting to do my own research. Thanks for the advice.

Agreed.....I was still typing when you posted. There's a lot of good information on some of the more specialized rifle sites out there as well. As far as books, check out Mike R. Lau's "The Military and Police Sniper", and most of Jim Owens and David Tubb's books will serve you well when you're ready to learn marksmanship basics.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Agreed.....I was still typing when you posted. There's a lot of good information on some of the more specialized rifle sites out there as well. As far as books, check out Mike R. Lau's "The Military and Police Sniper", and most of Jim Owens and David Tubb's books will serve you well when you're ready to learn marksmanship basics.

I am very sorry that came out the way it did its been a really bad week and was half in my sleep however thats no reason for me to be rude.
    I will look for a couple of the books above thanks.

I understand everyones point on search the sites but I am tired of looking on other sites and clicking about 100 post just too read a bunch of post telling the new guy to use the search well if he did use the search more than 50% of the post he would find would say the same thing "use the search use the search use the search" sounds kinda like a song. I know some of the guys that know their **** get tired of seeing the same old post but it does show new people are getting into the sport and that helps everyone from the web sites with the great info all way to the guy that hauls the dirt into the range to build the berm.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    OK reading some good info on the scopes and I am sure whatever I go with will have to be a mil/mil set up:D.

I do not reload right now and it will be a long time before I get into that. I will be shooting 50-600 yards for a good while. Should I go with .223 or .308 with thinking of off the shelf ammo in the stores?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I'd recommend .308. Factory .223rem rounds loaded with the heavy rounds needed to get out that far is going to be a lot harder to find than a .308 round that will do it. Also, most .308win chambered guns come with a twist that will sufficiently stabilize most factory ammo out to 600 where as you'll need a 1:7 twist in .223. Your selections will be limited on the smaller caliber in bolt guns.

If you're building a custom then that's a different story since you can specify your chamber and twist rate.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I'd recommend .308. Factory .223rem rounds loaded with the heavy rounds needed to get out that far is going to be a lot harder to find than a .308 round that will do it. Also, most .308win chambered guns come with a twist that will sufficiently stabilize most factory ammo out to 600 where as you'll need a 1:7 twist in .223. Your selections will be limited on the smaller caliber in bolt guns.

If you're building a custom then that's a different story since you can specify your chamber and twist rate.

Thanks for that info. I always get caught up in how much .223 I find in the stores but thinking more about its just 55gr stuff and I dont think thats much good for long range.

Top Bottom