Bomb or fallout shelters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    So does anyone have any plans for these type of shelters Im looking at building a multiuse shelter to protect from hurricanes and the like whats everyones ideas.

BTW I'm not crazy lol

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Where im from in Alabama everyone has Stom Cellars or something of the likes.

Some are built into hills and some are on the ground.

My uncle has a 25x25 room. The inner wall is cynder blocks with rebar and concrete through the middle then there is a space between the next wall that is filled with sand and another cynder block wall with rebar and concrete. The roof is solid rebar and concrete. The door is metal with two dead bolts.

These are mainly because tornados pop up so often but would work good as some kind of shelter for other things I guess too. Its pretty solid.

jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    Im thinking about getting a couple sea cans and putting them togther sinking them down and covering with about 3 feet of soil

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    You're better off buying a 20ft conex box and throwing a good layer of dirt over it. Make it look like military bomb storage bunkers, if you've ever seen those.

jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    You're better off buying a 20ft conex box and throwing a good layer of dirt over it. Make it look like military bomb storage bunkers, if you've ever seen those.

Thats just a pretty Sea can from what I can tell. I can get 20 ft sea cans for about 1500 to 2000 dollars didnt see prices for these.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    With the proper amount of work you can seal them pretty well. The elements will play a factor on anything, quarter inch steel will take quite some time to rot. Its much more durable then cinder blocks/brick, and if it gets a rust hole in it you just drag it to the scrap yard and get half your investment back.

I'm going to find the thread on arfcom where some guy built a bunker out of 2 conex boxes and link it for you.

Edit: If he is in Covington and not right near the river, flooding won't be an issue. You do need to make sure you have some sort of ventilation, otherwise its useless as any sort of bomb shelter.

Edit 2: Arfcom Thread

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    tools on the inside to make sure you can cut through the door, or do like the guy did in the thread I linked, and seal off the original doors and add a vault door.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    the sea cans are water proof,and if you put a couple layers of that marine paint and a barrier is should last a life time,,the only problem here in louisiana is flooding.and you being underwater,,

but if it was half out the ground it would work,a campers ac unit will keep it cooled,they are insulted like a sob..but yea you would need fresh air intake as well..my grandpa has 2 of them he uses for storage i thought about getting one and getting the aprtment inserts for when the inlaws visit haha

jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    thanks paulup I was looking for that post couldent find it. Mcinfantry Im going to put an entrance in my house and a exit outside. Also ventilation will not be a problem. Im going to bring some outside ventilation shafts. Im also going to backfill with quarter sized pea gravel and probably put down rail road ties on the bottom to keep it off the dirt.

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    I have this, aluminum sides and roof, wood floor.
    8'wideX45'longx9'tall
    641ed7aytobf1da8kzqi.jpg

r0rw15nzz8ui3guaez1.jpg

3djpescl6e1hsm0yid9.jpg

jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    Those are nice but you would have to vent the cooler or AC unit and I don't know if you could vent it enought to keep it from overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom