Booked flight for vacation, got prompt at new handgun restriction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So when I got my ticket confirmation from delta, it was accompanied by a popup:

"In accordance with recent policy changes, the following are restricted items that are not allowed in either your carry on or checked luggages."

Fireworks
    Ammunition
    Firearms
    Chemicals over 3oz

and some other stuff.

I called Delta this morning and said "hey in the past I just had to secure it in a locked case, unloaded, and declare it at the counter." She said "you can't register, check-in, and print passes online and bring a firearm."

"eh, sure I can? Just come declare it at the counter and pass it with checked luggage right?"

"No sir."

So I asked to speak to her supervisor, and after a huff and a five minute wait, i asked why Delta's policies are different than the TSA guidelines posted online. He said it's a prompt for internet purchases only, and because I didn't pay to check luggage online it prompted me that firearms were a restricted item. " I understand, but I'd like to check luggage at the counter and give them my secured firearm...." He says "Ah, well that ...should be fine, I think? I'm not entirely sure."

"heh. well Can you put me in touch with someone that IS SURE?"

"I'll take you number and have my supervisor contact you today."

still waiting and will update.

My concern is that if I fly through 3 different airports, that I have to deal with some idiot (like these two) that doesn't know the policy. Flying through Lafayette, Atlanta, and Memphis next month... and I'm now seriously debating whether to just leave it home or not.

Anyone flown recently that had to deal with this?

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I just flew from Seattle to Houston on Monday with a checked bag that contained a firearm. What they are trying to say is, you can't check in online, pay for baggage that contains a firearm and print your boarding pass. Alaska Air did the same thing to me.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    supervisor just verified pretty much what nomad just said. he just said if you're booking online to dodge the counter- no guns allowed. the reason it says not for carry on OR checked baggage is because many airports offer transport or curb-side checking. Which makes sense- they dont want you to dropoff luggage curb side with a pistol box on top. ...which means if there is a policy, some idiot(s) did it.

miscommunication, but im still concerned that the "supervisor" didn't know "for sure".

francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    TSA has nothing to do with firearms in checked luggage. TSA simply mentions the common way of transporting a firearm when flying. Just FYI.

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Flying through Lafayette, Atlanta, and Memphis next month... and I'm now seriously debating whether to just leave it home or not.

Is that one trip with connections, or three separate trips? If one trip, you really only need to worry about Lafayette (and Memphis if it's round trip and you fly back from Memphis)…since it would be a checked bag, you don't get it back at each airport, so you wouldn't be going through that dance at each stop. You could easily chat up a desk agent at Lafayette, and you might be able to get on the phone with someone at Memphis….Atlanta doesn't matter here, because they're just a transit hub for you.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    You really don't need to worry about anything. Just checkin at the airport and declare your firearm and check your bag/case. I've flown in and out if Chicago, Ohare and Midway with multiple firearms, San Francisco in and out, Seattle in and out, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Atlanta, transfers in Denver, Houston and Miami.

One idea to keep in mind is that you can use a locked hard sided container for your firearm and stuff. Say you get a Pelican rolling case. You can pack you clothes and stuff, and your firearm(s) and ammo in the same case. That keeps TSA from going through your luggage when you're not around, for the most part. They can and will cut your locks if need be but, the likely hood is in the 1% range based on my experience and what I've collected from others who regularly fly with firearms.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You really don't need to worry about anything. Just checkin at the airport and declare your firearm and check your bag/case. I've flown in and out if Chicago, Ohare and Midway with multiple firearms, San Francisco in and out, Seattle in and out, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Atlanta, transfers in Denver, Houston and Miami.

One idea to keep in mind is that you can use a locked hard sided container for your firearm and stuff. Say you get a Pelican rolling case. You can pack you clothes and stuff, and your firearm(s) and ammo in the same case. That keeps TSA from going through your luggage when you're not around, for the most part. They can and will cut your locks if need be but, the likely hood is in the 1% range based on my experience and what I've collected from others who regularly fly with firearms.

I was of the understanding that ammunition had to be in a separate secure parcel? My usual is the pistol locked in its hardcase, and I have been asked before "if its the only thing in the case" when I declared it on multiple trips. I'm 99% sure it cant be packed with other items.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    "Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above." http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Now, that's TSA rules but, airlines like to make up their own rules and I've experienced the ticket agents making statements that did not match their rules. I had a similar experience to yours once in Atlanta. The ticket agent asked if I had ammo in the same case and I confirmed for her that it did. She told me that it had to be in a separate checked case. I asked her where that was stated in the TSA rules and she attempted to find it. So then I asked if that was the airlines rules and she said, "yes, that's the airlines rule". I was flying Delta that day. I asked her to show me the rules, she couldn't find it. So she called a supervisor, he corrected her.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    generally I don't bring ammo with me. I make it my first stop upon arrival, and it doubles to encourage my curious investigation of local gun shops etc.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    My wife and I are flying Alaska Air later this year to hunt caribou, fish, pan for gold. It's my bucketlist trip and she wants to pan for some gold. We are flying with handguns and ammo for them but borrowing the rifles to hunt the caribou. However, Alaska has a centerfire "hunting" caliber shortage like we have .22 here. I shipped my buddy 100 .30-06 rounds in 20 rd boxes last month in his wife's check baggage cause you can check in "up to 70 pounds of ammunition per individual. I'll be bring their "wish list" of ammo if I can take that much in with our stuff so he and his buddies/fellow servicemen can hunt their bear/moose tags out.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    My wife and I are flying Alaska Air later this year to hunt caribou, fish, pan for gold. It's my bucketlist trip and she wants to pan for some gold. We are flying with handguns and ammo for them but borrowing the rifles to hunt the caribou. However, Alaska has a centerfire "hunting" caliber shortage like we have .22 here. I shipped my buddy 100 .30-06 rounds in 20 rd boxes last month in his wife's check baggage cause you can check in "up to 70 pounds of ammunition per individual. I'll be bring their "wish list" of ammo if I can take that much in with our stuff so he and his buddies/fellow servicemen can hunt their bear/moose tags out.

Where did you get that quote of 70lbs from?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Here are some airline policies for you.....both of these restrict a passenger to 11 pounds of ammunition per person. Check your airline to be sure!! BTW, in most cases a second bag is cheaper to fly with then a "overweight" bag...most call anything over 50 pounds a overweight bag.

Delta Airlines: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
    Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
    Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
    Ammunition exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger

American : http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/restrictedArticles.jsp

Only small arms ammunition for sporting purposes is allowed as part of checked baggage, amount may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg. Ammunition must be securely packed in original manufacturers packaging or packaged in fiber, wood, metal or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here are some airline policies for you.....both of these restrict a passenger to 11 pounds of ammunition per person. Check your airline to be sure!! BTW, in most cases a second bag is cheaper to fly with then a "overweight" bag...most call anything over 50 pounds a overweight bag.

Both of those are true IME. Some people can't seem to figure that second one out. They'll have 55lbs in one bag and 40lbs in the other but can't figure out to move 6lbs out of the heavier bag to avoid the surcharge. Better ticket agents will explain that.

Top Bottom