Boss Hog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Generally the bigger the hog the stronger the taste. Doubly so for boars. The people who routinely hunt them to eat try to stay in the 30-60lb range.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Smaller sows are better for eating IMO, but i'm not choosy as long as I know it was handled correctly. I have always heard that the big nasty boars are considered the delicacy on european tables and restaurants though.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Smaller sows are better for eating IMO, but i'm not choosy as long as I know it was handled correctly. I have always heard that the big nasty boars are considered the delicacy on european tables and restaurants though.

Yeah and some of them people eat some nasty ****. I swear I think gormet means taking the worst **** on an animal and trying to make it edible

Ain't much better than a small hog (20-30lbs) slow cooked in the pit.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    People also used to catch a wild hog, take it home, put it in a pen, and feed it corn for 30 days before butchering it to make it taste better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The one big boar I killed was apparent by his smell from where I shot him. I left him lying there. I've killed plenty of 80 to 120 lb. sows that were excellent eating. Cutting the gonads off of a boar after he is dead does nothing for the "taint" in the meat. On the other hand, trapping a big boar, neutering him and feeding him out on corn for a pretty good while makes all the difference in the world.
    All that being said, the best eaters are in the 15 to 30 lb. range. Piglets, you know.
    And, the hogs have disappeared off the lease. Only one set of tracks and no other sign. This after 45 were trapped/killed last year before I was a member.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    I shot a 275lb boar last year. I quartered him and bled him out in a ice chest with ice for a week. Every other day I would drain out the water and fill it up with more ice. The meat was pink and tasted wonderful.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Each hog can be different. If you take a piece of meat from a hog and throw it in a hot skillet, the smell will tell you what to do! If it stinks, get rid of the hog. If it smells decent/good, butcher it out. This would apply to ALL hogs but especially the boars.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Each hog can be different. If you take a piece of meat from a hog and throw it in a hot skillet, the smell will tell you what to do! If it stinks, get rid of the hog. If it smells decent/good, butcher it out. This would apply to ALL hogs but especially the boars.

follow that advice for everything imo. if you've ever had food poisoning, you know you'll gladly toss meat instead of that ordeal.

StixNString

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Cut Off, La
    First proper care is important, I've killed and ate boars with no problems. The smell taste that people complain about is mostly in the fat. Remove all the fat and you should be fine. A boar will stink when you kill it. That smell has nothing to do with the meat. This one ate just fine along with the other 8 boars that I killed last year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      89.8 KB · Views: 95
    Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom