Bought some expired product at store, what to do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I bought a frozen tv dinner at a supermarket here the other day. For my Sunday dinner I put in microwave per instructions. Took few bites and it was awful. Bad taste and card boardy odor. I checked the best buy date and it was February, 2012. Year and a half old. Month ago they had an item I buy often and checked the date and it all had expired the day before. Told the market person and they removed from shelf and put fresh ones out. Prior to that I bought some frozen vegetables and each bag was full of ice crystals, almost like a bag full of snow. I assume they had been thawed and re-frozen several times. This is a store that has sales on a weekly basis and it seems like alot of elderly shop there because of some good bargains.

I emailed the maker of the tv dinner today and told them and plan on calling the store tomorrow. Is there any place I can contact about this because this seems to be a trend with this store. Just curious.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I bought a frozen tv dinner at a supermarket her the other day. For my Sunday dinner I put in microwave per instructions. Took few bites and it was awful. Bad taste and card boardy odor. I checked the best buy date and it was February, 2012. Year and a half old. Month ago they had an item I buy often and checked the date and it all had expired the day before. Told the market person and they removed from shelf and put fresh ones out. Prior to that I bought some frozen vegetables and each bag was full of ice crystals, almost like a bag full of snow. I assume they had been thawed and re-frozen several times. This is a store that has sales on a weekly basis and it seems like alot of elderly shop there because of some good bargains.

I emailed the maker of the tv dinner today and told them and plan on calling the store tomorrow. Is there any place I can contact about this because this seems to be a trend with this store. Just curious.
    If contacting the manager and the store's owners do not work (and you can't find somewhere else to shop), you could always contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Oh, and maybe the FDA?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The store probably buys expired inventory fron bigger stores and pawns it off on you poor old folk. This could go deep. Don't get in over your head, call 6 on Your Side.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a frozen tv dinner at a supermarket here the other day. For my Sunday dinner I put in microwave per instructions. Took few bites and it was awful. Bad taste and card boardy odor. I checked the best buy date and it was February, 2012. Year and a half old. Month ago they had an item I buy often and checked the date and it all had expired the day before. Told the market person and they removed from shelf and put fresh ones out. Prior to that I bought some frozen vegetables and each bag was full of ice crystals, almost like a bag full of snow. I assume they had been thawed and re-frozen several times. This is a store that has sales on a weekly basis and it seems like alot of elderly shop there because of some good bargains.

Where'd you buy it? Oftentimes if you bring the original packaging and the receipt they'll refund your money.

I hope you saved the remaining product in a ziploc or something. That usually helps your case.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'd bring the packages to the store and get a refund and not go back. They will give you a refund if you get loud enough. Hopefully it can be handled properly, but if not, get loud. Sadly, that's how society works. You make a scene, they make it happen.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If its a small neighborhood grocery they may be selling the expired product at a discounted price and feel like they are helping out the poor people in the area. I knew of a mom and pop store that did this. They'd buy candy and chips that were a few months past. I don't think I would do that with meat though...

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If its a small neighborhood grocery they may be selling the expired product at a discounted price and feel like they are helping out the poor people in the area. I knew of a mom and pop store that did this. They'd buy candy and chips that were a few months past. I don't think I would do that with meat though...

Yeah, they have "salvage" stores that do this.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

You should have checked the date on it before you put it in the basket.

Then again, I'm sure I'm weird for doing that .

JR1572

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

JR1572

I do with perishables unless I know the product sells quickly... (Just let me catch the bastard who snitches all of the lemon flavored Noosa)

I don't so much in frozen goods. After reading this I may start.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I do with perishables unless I know the product sells quickly... (Just let me catch the bastard who snitches all of the lemon flavored Noosa)

I don't so much in frozen goods. After reading this I may start.

Cat, noosa vs chiobani, which is better?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Cat, noosa vs chiobani, which is better?

Nooosa!!!!

OMG. I love it. Best yogurt ever. But avoid the passion fruit flavor. *shudder* Target has Tart Cherry flavor that is good. I usually add granola and fresh fruit to the honey flavor but if I don't find lemon soon, I'm gonna shank a bitch.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

JR1572

I always check the dates. I'm also SUPER meticulous about the bruises on my fruits and veggies. I'm the girl that will pick thru them all to get the almost perfect to perfect items.

Just went and stocked up on paleo foods at the grocery. Bought more meat than usual because of the student ID discount shenanigans. I'm always wary of dates on meat I freeze.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah, they have "salvage" stores that do this.

Of course I remember a particular fried chicken place in N.O. years ago (long gone now) that would buy old chicken from local grocers and fry them in olive oil so you couldn't taste the difference... yuck...

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Of course I remember a particular fried chicken place in N.O. years ago (long gone now) that would buy old chicken from local grocers and fry them in olive oil so you couldn't taste the difference... yuck...

That is disgusting. They still have a salvage store pretty far up on the northshore, but I cant remember exactly where. I'm thinking folsom. I thought knowingly selling food past expiration date was considered some type of health hazard.

Top Bottom