Boundaries of school property? School campus?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    With SB81 and HB556 looking swell, now the question is what exactly is school property?

In RS 14:95.6:
    C. For purposes of this Section:

(1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

A smaller elementary school or high school would tend to have clear boundaries. But large, expansive universities or universities that own a lot of scattered property throws a wrench into this question.

"All facilities and property" sounds like all buildings and land. "Within the boundary of the school property" sounds a little more ambiguous. Is school property simply all property owned by a school or a school system? Would a piece of land or building owned by a school, but separate from the main school campus and not used for education count as "school property?" Does this property include public roads and sidewalks and such that run through a school's campus? Et cetera et cetera.

Where is the line now?

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well I know that down the road from me EBR School Board has a few hundred acres and up until they built the new schools on it they leased it to a hunting club.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    With SB81 and HB556 looking swell, now the question is what exactly is school property?

In RS 14:95.6:

A smaller elementary school or high school would tend to have clear boundaries. But large, expansive universities or universities that own a lot of scattered property throws a wrench into this question.

"All facilities and property" sounds like all buildings and land. "Within the boundary of the school property" sounds a little more ambiguous. Is school property simply all property owned by a school or a school system? Would a piece of land or building owned by a school, but separate from the main school campus and not used for education count as "school property?" Does this property include public roads and sidewalks and such that run through a school's campus? Et cetera et cetera.

Where is the line now?

School Property ANYTHING owned by it, I had this issue in Lafayette at ULL, both at the Colliseum and Cajun Dome its probably about 2 miles AWAY from ULL Campus and there have been several events that I have wanted to carry and its Illegal to do so eventhough its away from campus. I discussed the issue with the PIC at ULL and his response was that the only time we could technically carry was at the Gun Show since it has a "special" weapons allowed permit.

Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    Well, ya know, reading the law it says the parish is supposed to have the GFSZ's all mapped out and available to the public to enable you to avoid said GFSZ's right?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is interesting, as Loyola University in New Orleans owns a lot of property that is not used as part of the school , but is part of its endowment.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    As far as concealed carry goes, isn't there also the 1000 foot buffer zone around any campus? That makes it almost impossible to know if you're breaking the law.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    As far as concealed carry goes, isn't there also the 1000 foot buffer zone around any campus? That makes it almost impossible to know if you're breaking the law.

That's going away August 15th.

That's why I'm asking the now more relevant question as to what is off limits after the 1000' radius is lifted :)

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    This is interesting, as Loyola University in New Orleans owns a lot of property that is not used as part of the school , but is part of its endowment.

Exactly! There is tons of property that is owned by schools and property that has a university name on it but is not in use for school or educational purposes, with much of it being leased to private non-school companies. Some of it you'd have no idea as to it being "school property."

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Exactly! There is tons of property that is owned by schools and property that has a university name on it but is not in use for school or educational purposes, with much of it being leased to private non-school companies. Some of it you'd have no idea as to it being "school property."

Yeah, but if you got caught up in that trick bag, that would be a prime Supreme court case.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    HB556 only applies to CHP holders and does not go in effect until August 15th.

Yeah, I understand that, but I have my CHP so it's all good. The thing about my situation is that I live approximately 1000 feet from LSU's campus, but I'm not exactly sure where the 1000 feet begins/ends, so if I walk out of my apartment complex while carrying, I never know for sure if I am breaking the law or not.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Where have you been? There has been a vote by vote description on BS of the legislative process that this bill has gone through. How did you miss it?

Sadly I'm not able to spend hours a day on this site. I only get on here these days when I have a few minutes to kill in class, and even then I generally only check the handguns and reloading boards, sometimes quickly browsing general discussion. Where have I been? Summer school at LSU Law. Trust me, I wish I had more time to screw around on the internets all day.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Where have I been? Summer school at LSU Law. Trust me, I wish I had more time to screw around on the internets all day.

Not a valid excuse. If anything, all that class time gives you a bunch of time to surf the web all day. I'm in summer law school too, taking 8 hours, and I got plenty time to waste :D

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Trust me, I wish I had more time to screw around on the internets all day.

Insulting those who come here more often will only help U !!!!!!

I know, I feel like we're old friends, the more you call me on screwing around, the more I want to help you

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Not a valid excuse. If anything, all that class time gives you a bunch of time to surf the web all day. I'm in summer law school too, taking 8 hours, and I got plenty time to waste :D

I'm trying for the first time not to surf the net in class....

What classes are you in? I'm in Admin law and Commercial Paper.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Trust me, I wish I had more time to screw around on the internets all day.

Insulting those who come here more often will only help U !!!!!!

I know, I feel like we're old friends, the more you call me on screwing around, the more I want to help you

I'm... not sure I know what you're trying to say here.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yeah, I understand that, but I have my CHP so it's all good. The thing about my situation is that I live approximately 1000 feet from LSU's campus, but I'm not exactly sure where the 1000 feet begins/ends, so if I walk out of my apartment complex while carrying, I never know for sure if I am breaking the law or not.

You might have answered your own question. You said you live app. 1000' the LSU campus. If you know where the campus is just don't go on it.

Top Bottom