Box or Unboxed?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loewermx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Alexandria, La
    Just curious as to how everyone stores their ammo. As you buy ammo from a store, do you take the ammo out of the box and pour it into a ammo can or do you leave it in the boxes? I am wondering because it seems I could store a LOT of 9mm in one SAW can if I take it out of the boxes and discard them.

Thoughts?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a little bit of "panic ammo".

I have what i think I need loaded into magazines stored in cases with the firearms, in a grab and go SHTF, or more likely range session.

If I buy a whole case of ammo, I generally break it down into steel military ammo cans with a couple dessicant packets. Keep in mind, I line in NOLA and my house got 14 feet of water for Katrina.

That said, I do keep at least 1k of .223 and 9mm ammo completely loose in ammo cans for range sessions or classes.

I try to waterproof and make ease of carry transport decision with most of my ammo.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    most of it is boxes, i have some glock mags filled and some AK and AR mags filled.

the only "loose" ammo i have is 9mm range ammo.

loewermx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Alexandria, La
    Thats what I was wondering. I have 10-12 AR mags filled, and 6-7 glock mags filled already. Everything else is boxed. I'll probably leave it that way and just get some more SAW cans

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I put the boxes in ammo cans and when we buy something with desicant packs I toss the desicant in the ammo cans. I bought some cases of ammo and just left it in the cases. My plan was to refill the ammo cans from the cases but I ended up just selling the ammo in the cases.

Last edited:

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Zip lock bags for most of it. Bulk ammo in boxes goes into bags, then in ammo can. You can store a whole lot more in a can if you take out the bulk of the boxes. 5.56 is 30 rounds in a snack bag, then 3 of those in a quart freezer bag.

South African 7.62 stays in the battle pack in the cans until needed.

Most all of my other ammo goes from the bench to the range in zip lock bags. Bring home the empties in the bag.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    In the box or in the mags.

Loading mags out of the ammo boxes makes it easier to count. Keeps me from trying to load that 31st round into the mag :)

Top Bottom