Boy Scouts to review anti-gay policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    If the assumption is that all gays are potential pedophiles, why do we get mad when people say everyone with guns is a potential murderer?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I'm sorry but if you wouldn't want a guy out with a bunch of girl scouts without a co-leader, why the hell would I want a gay guy alone with with a bunch of boys? The fact of the matter isn't about being anti gay, its about the attraction to the sex of the people you have authority over. Plain and simple. In this case they can go fly off a bridge with their political correctness, and acceptance bull ****.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i feel about this the same way with homosexuals in the military... any kind of sexual misconduct shouldn't be tolerated.. the difference though is that the boy scouts are a private institution and should make rules based off their own judgement..

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    this is about as bad as the little boy who got into the girl scouts, I was a boy scout, but I haven't even thought about putting my boys in it. It's not what it use to be that's for sure. I remember being a cub scout in 3rd grade, they don't even come to the schools anymore and enlist kids.

I'm also sure they have had there own issues with pedophiles in the past, most of the pedophiles I've read about are usually married and not categorized as being gay.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I guarantee one thing if gays are openly allowed to serve in the boy scouts:

Their uniforms will be FABULOUS!!!

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm sorry but if you wouldn't want a guy out with a bunch of girl scouts without a co-leader, why the hell would I want a gay guy alone with with a bunch of boys? The fact of the matter isn't about being anti gay, its about the attraction to the sex of the people you have authority over. Plain and simple. In this case they can go fly off a bridge with their political correctness, and acceptance bull ****.

Well, BSA does have a 2-deep leadership policy in place, no child can be alone with any adult.

this is about as bad as the little boy who got into the girl scouts, I was a boy scout, but I haven't even thought about putting my boys in it. It's not what it use to be that's for sure. I remember being a cub scout in 3rd grade, they don't even come to the schools anymore and enlist kids.

Cub Scouts do put flyers out at the schools and hold recruitment rallies, some schools won't allow it on school grounds and won't even hand out the flyers, tho. To find a Pack or Troop in your area, just call the BSA Istrouma Area Council Scout Office: 225-926-2697

Scouts IS what it used to be, in fact it's one of the few established groups that has stuck to its founding principals! I promise you that if you put your boys in Scouts, you won't find any gays or pedophiles in the groups down here... there are a lot of guys like us serving as leaders. I'm one of them, and I promise you I'm going to jail if anyone messes with any of the boys. Scouting still teaches boys about good citizenship and values, in addition to outdoor skills and practical skills.

This move is purely political at the national level. Sure, things might be weird if you sign your boys up for Scouts in California after this, but down here it won't make any difference. No gay guy is going to be a leader for long in any of the Packs/Troops I know! :dogkeke:

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Well, BSA does have a 2-deep leadership policy in place, no child can be alone with any adult.

Cub Scouts do put flyers out at the schools and hold recruitment rallies, some schools won't allow it on school grounds and won't even hand out the flyers, tho. To find a Pack or Troop in your area, just call the BSA Istrouma Area Council Scout Office: 225-926-2697

Scouts IS what it used to be, in fact it's one of the few established groups that has stuck to its founding principals! I promise you that if you put your boys in Scouts, you won't find any gays or pedophiles in the groups down here... there are a lot of guys like us serving as leaders. I'm one of them, and I promise you I'm going to jail if anyone messes with any of the boys. Scouting still teaches boys about good citizenship and values, in addition to outdoor skills and practical skills.

This move is purely political at the national level. Sure, things might be weird if you sign your boys up for Scouts in California after this, but down here it won't make any difference. No gay guy is going to be a leader for long in any of the Packs/Troops I know! :dogkeke:

Well I'm glad to hear that renegade, I have very fond memories of going on retreats and camping and doing many pine box derby challenges. My father wasn't in to the camping so much, but he really loved helping me make that derby car each year. I don't push my sons on everything, I like for them to find interest of there own with friends. But I have noticed that the papers haven't been at school like they use too.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

I do agree with what you say with the area keeping it out for the time being, but as is has been proven on way to many other things, once accepted somewhere it will be forced anywhere. And it's not really the fear or thought of an adult doing something to a child, its the teaching of ideals and indoctrination that would be be put out there openly. If someone thinks that wouldn't happen they are a bit off their rocker. Young minds are impressionable plain and simple. And I know this will draw flack but I still believe gay is a mental perversion, not a born that way kind of a thing. Sorry but that is my belief. Just like being drawn to guns and like minded people was taught to me early and stuck, and the anti gun people had that idea thrown in their heads early as well, or had an event that caused it.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My son is Cub Scout age and we were looking at putting him in. I was a Scout growing up and enjoyed it. This decision does concern me in the same way it would concern me if I had a daughter in Girl Scouts or a Day Care setting and they said the group was going to be run by a guy. Being involved is the answer though. I'm not going to just drop my kid off and "hope for the best". I'm going to be involved and help out at meetings and events. I think he's excited about joining.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I do agree with what you say with the area keeping it out for the time being, but as is has been proven on way to many other things, once accepted somewhere it will be forced anywhere. And it's not really the fear or thought of an adult doing something to a child, its the teaching of ideals and indoctrination that would be be put out there openly. If someone thinks that wouldn't happen they are a bit off their rocker. Young minds are impressionable plain and simple. And I know this will draw flack but I still believe gay is a mental perversion, not a born that way kind of a thing. Sorry but that is my belief. Just like being drawn to guns and like minded people was taught to me early and stuck, and the anti gun people had that idea thrown in their heads early as well, or had an event that caused it.

I definitely agree with you! I don't like it at all and I hope they keep the current anti-gay policy in place. I'm just saying that BSA won't be going down the tubes if they do change it.

My son is Cub Scout age and we were looking at putting him in. I was a Scout growing up and enjoyed it. This decision does concern me in the same way it would concern me if I had a daughter in Girl Scouts or a Day Care setting and they said the group was going to be run by a guy. Being involved is the answer though. I'm not going to just drop my kid off and "hope for the best". I'm going to be involved and help out at meetings and events. I think he's excited about joining.

+1000 Being involved is exactly the answer!!! Taking the Youth Protection training seriously is very important as well. There are a lot of cool, like-minded people involved in Scouting. The more of our types who join, the better!

FYI - Once kids are 6-years-old and in 1st Grade, they can join Cub Scouts as Tiger Cubs.

Oh, did I mention?... Boy Scouts (and their leaders) can go to all LSU home games for free, by serving as ushers... last year, we were on the East-side 50, 12 rows up from the field! Also, Boy Scout summer camp has rifle/shotgun/archery shooting tourneys for adult leaders. :D There are a lot of other perks and opportunities that Scouters can benefit from!

But to me, the biggest perk of all is that my kids are friends with other kids whom I know are being taught good morals and values.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Not sure the religious associations of all the members here, but I do know that many Assembly of God churches have Royal Rangers. Which is their equivalent to Boy Scouts. You just have to be willing to endure/enjoy pentecostal preaching.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Not sure the religious associations of all the members here, but I do know that many Assembly of God churches have Royal Rangers. Which is their equivalent to Boy Scouts. You just have to be willing to endure/enjoy pentecostal preaching.

The Baptist church has RA's (Royal Ambassadors). My son just had his first RA class last night and he loved it.

I'm a non practicing Catholic married to a practicing Baptist which means we go to a Baptist church. :D

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The Baptist church has RA's (Royal Ambassadors). My son just had his first RA class last night and he loved it.

I'm a non practicing Catholic married to a practicing Baptist which means we go to a Baptist church. :D

Haha. Didn't know they had an equivalent. We prefer non-denominational. They don't have anything like RR's or RA's as far as I know, though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I overwhelmingly agree with Renegade's explanation for I too am a Cub Scout Leader. Any hint of homosexual predatory activity is not going to go over well with my pack.

Our pack leaders are very faith based people. I am not, but I follow BSA's core principals with my Cubs. It is afterall, a faith based organization. In fact the Cub Scout Promise is:

"I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God and Country, to help other people, and obey the Law of the Pack."

You don't have to be a faith based person to help mold these kids into solid citizens and help shape their lives for the better. Regardless what I believe, there is a definite correlation between the faith and the vast majority of Scouts that complete to Eagle who have become good adults. :rockon:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I understand folks opinions of wanting to just NOT participate in Scouts. But like has been said. If we fill the ranks of Boy Scouts with American Family Traditionalist, well then it's going to be pretty hard for the tail to wag the dog if you know what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom