Boyce Police Chief convicted of 3 NFA violations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    http://thetowntalk.com/article/20081204/NEWS01/812040320/-1/rss

Boyce chief convicted; will resign office today

By Abbey Brown • abrown@thetowntalk.com • December 4, 2008

Boyce Police Chief Claude Williams was convicted Wednesday on three weapons charges, a conviction his attorney said has a "chilling effect" on law enforcement officers everywhere.
    Advertisement

"This is a ground-breaking case," Williams' attorney Larry English said after the unanimous federal jury verdict was read. "... If any law enforcement officer has an illegal weapon outside of the (police department's evidence room) they are subject to criminal charges."

Williams was found not guilty of two other federal charges -- both of making a false statement to federal agents -- after the three-day trial this week.

Because of his convictions, Williams will resign as Boyce's Police chief and surrender all of his weapons by 5 p.m. today, English said. His bond was continued, and his sentencing is scheduled for March 19 before U.S. District Judge Dee Drell. He faces as many as 30 years in prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney James Cowles Jr. argued in his closing statements that the case was about principles and that no man, even a police chief, is above the law. He stressed that the law is clear that if illegal weapons are taken from a police department's evidence room that "must be" properly registered.

Cowles repeatedly referred to the weapons -- in Williams' case a machine gun, rifle and sawed-off shotgun -- as "inherently dangerous." The M-16 rifle -- .223-caliber machine gun -- was found leaning against the wall of the sunroom in Williams' home during an investigation by the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office Metro Narcotics Unit, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Two other weapons -- a Remington rifle, Targetmaster model 510, .22-caliber with an overall length of less than 26 inches and a barrel of less than 16 inches in length and a Western Arms 12-gauge shotgun with an overall length of 26 inches and a barrel of less than 18 inches -- were found under a broken display case in the back of his personal van, according to the federal indictment. None of the three were registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Williams testified that he was unaware of the law requiring the guns be registered and that his home and vehicle were extensions of the police department as he did official police work out of both. He also testified that the weapons were all being used for community outreach and educational programs and weren't in operational use.

"If the weapons were kept in the evidence locker, we wouldn't be here today," Cowles said. "If they are going to be used they have to be registered. That's the law."

English stressed both during his closing arguments and to the media after the trial's conclusion that hundreds of thousands of illegal weapons rest in the hands of law enforcement officers and that those weapons aren't registered.

English described the federal charges as a "witch hunt" against Williams, a man he said was a "hero" and model law enforcement officer.

Williams is scheduled to appear Dec. 15 in 9th Judicial District Court in Alexandria where he has pleaded not guilty to state malfeasance charges. The charges include interfering with criminal prosecution by tampering with drug evidence and not giving the District Attorney's Office at least 117 arrest files.

English said they are filing a continuance in that case where he and Alexandria Attorney Bridgett Brown plan to represent him as well.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    :nono:

wow. im a bit torn on both sides of this. dont know if he as a good guy or a jackazz
    but they made an example out of him.

on the other hand, he, like other LEO's in the world, have access to some really fine firearms in the evidence room. Taking them from that room for yourself is illegal.

Makes me wonder, how will the Obama presidency treat gun laws? smells a bit like a witch hunt in some ways. But if you enforce the law, dammit you should obey it as well.

im sure felons in prison dont like cops.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Williams testified that he was unaware of the law requiring the guns be registered and that his home and vehicle were extensions of the police department as he did official police work out of both.

What an idiot. I guess I always like to find out exactly what procedure to follow before I do something that could possibly land me in jail.

I dont just do what I want and then proclaim ignorance as my defense.

Was he really a police chief? This has to be a joke.

mudder

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    cenla
    I know the Chief, He's a good guy. Has he made some errors in judgement?
    I would venture to say, we all have.
    He has always been professional to me, I thought he has served well

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with the decision. You can't have an unregistered machine gun in your house even if you are a police chief. Even law enforcement agency machine guns are registered with the NFA and transferred in a very similar fashion to how civilians transfer legal machine guns.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    "If the weapons were kept in the evidence locker, we wouldn't be here today," Cowles said. "If they are going to be used they have to be registered. That's the law"

That about sums it up. There are not 2 sets of laws.

"Williams testified that he was unaware of the law requiring the guns be registered and that his home and vehicle were extensions of the police department as he did official police work out of both. He also testified that the weapons were all being used for community outreach and educational programs and weren't in operational use."

This is pretty comical. "Community outreach" . Sounds more like Community reach out. :rolleyes: :D

Art

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Methinks there is more to this case than meets the eye

If your eye were to see the town of Boyce, this case would come into focus. A trashy little hamlet on the banks of the Red River just north of Alexandria. A police chief might just need some special weapons and tactics while making the rounds in Boyce.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    Cowles repeatedly referred to the weapons as "inherently dangerous."

OMFG, an SBR .22, scary ****. That US Attorney sounds like a completely jackhole.

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    No one is above the law, no doubt...but how about a bit of proffesional courtesy here.

I mean seriously, that is a shitty way for him to have his career ended.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I agree with the decision. If I were to take something from a prop/evidence room to use for anything other than their confiscated intent (i.e., testing, testimony, etc) you would think that you would have to go thru the DA first to ensure that no evidentiary value would be lost by the use of these in said program. If the DA memorialized that in a letter to the department, I would then contact the ATF to request a conditional use permit (or if such a thing existed). You know they would respond back with 'hell no' and instruct you to register them. Being that they wouldn't be mine, I couldn't register them and this whole 'community outreach program' would be moot. If these were post-trial evidence I'd then request a letter of opinion from the city's counsel on how the department could go about purchasing them.

You see, THAT would have been the right way to do it and I'm not even a ****ing Chief o' LEOs...

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    The few times I've met the chief, I've thought well of him. Ever since they arrested him and he started the excuse of using the guns to teach kids, I have thought it was weak. Not like the PD hasn't got access to legal weapons to use for instruction.

Like said above, one set of rules...

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    Spoken like a true Louisianian since we love corruption...hey, he's an LEO so let's let it slide.

Frack him. He broke federal law.

Oh brother. :rolleyes:

Not a single one of us doesnt at some point or other break the law in some way, no matter how slight.

I dont know this guy, but going off of what the few people here who have met him has said and the fact that he has devoted his life to the police force, I am assuming that he has accomplished some good in his days.

They could have disciplined him in other ways without it resorting to this.

Unless they come out with more information like he was selling the guns or some other crap, what he did doesnt seem to merit him losing his job and reputation.

Top Bottom