BP: Oil gusher bigger than we estimated

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/20/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1

May 20, 2010 5:42 p.m. EDT
    Washington (CNN) -- BP acknowledged Thursday that the gusher of oil pouring from its damaged Gulf of Mexico well is bigger than estimated to date, as new video showed a cloud of crude billowing around its undersea siphon.

Company spokesman Mark Proegler said Thursday that the siphon is now drawing about 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) a day up to a ship on the surface. That's as much as government and company officials had estimated the spill was pouring into the Gulf every day for a month. Proegler declined to estimate how much more oil was escaping.

BP America Chairman Lamar McKay said Wednesday the figure used by the oil spill response team had a degree of uncertainty built into it. But figures by independent researchers have run up to many times higher: Steve Wereley, a professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue University, told CNN's "American Morning" that the spill could be as big as 20,000 to 100,000 barrels a day.

And members of Congress released video from the company that showed much more oil pouring out of the damaged well than the siphon was capturing.

"Most of the oil is gushing like mad out there, with just a little bit being siphoned off, which tells you there is a much greater volume than BP said," California Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer
    , the chairwoman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said Thursday.

And Rep. Ed Markey, who leads a House subcommittee investigating the disaster, told reporters, "I think now we are beginning to understand that we cannot trust BP."

The Obama administration Thursday ordered BP to release all data related to the massive oil spill, telling the company that Americans deserve "nothing less than complete transparency."

The order, delivered in a letter to British-based BP Group CEO Tony Hayward, demands that BP release sampling and monitoring plans, internal investigation reports and video from the company and its contractors.

Beaver Creek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Denham Springs (Watson Area)
    "The Obama administration Thursday ordered BP to release all data related to the massive oil spill, telling the company that Americans deserve "nothing less than complete transparency."

What a hypocritical statement this turned out to be.

flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    The new @ 10:00 tonight said BP sayes it is now 80,000 barrels or closr to 1,000,000 gallons a day. Thats just a little off from what they have been saying, don't you think. You can't trust any of the oil companies @ this point as they all have alot at stake with this disaster looming over their heads. Especially with all of the questional practices that are starting to come to light. Many cases of disregard for their guidlines all to cut corners. Not to mention the gouging from the so called oil / gas shortage? Imagine that.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I want to see you estimate the amount of oil flowing out of a well by just using a grainy video image...

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    The new @ 10:00 tonight said BP sayes it is now 80,000 barrels or closr to 1,000,000 gallons a day. Thats just a little off from what they have been saying, don't you think. You can't trust any of the oil companies @ this point as they all have alot at stake with this disaster looming over their heads. Especially with all of the questional practices that are starting to come to light. Many cases of disregard for their guidlines all to cut corners. Not to mention the gouging from the so called oil / gas shortage? Imagine that.

I don't think that you can trust any corporate entity these days...........:rolleyes: "It's All About THE MONEY"!!!!!!!

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    BP will not lose any money. Whatever it may cost them they will simply recover by raising prices.

It's us, the consumer sucker, that will pay thru our runny nose.

I think I'll cut a big ole' fart in honor of BP. Phhhhhhhtttt.

How was thast?

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I never got into this "debate" but I NEVER believed them and I'm certain that inthe future the estimates will be greater still. Where's my popcorn...

Oh, it can be determined exactly how much oil is pouring out of the leakS. They estimate (very well) the pressure in the pipe. They know the temperature and density of the oil and "Voila!" Simple Thermodynamics I.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    In fluid dynamics, Flow rate is a function of velocity and area.

Given the fact that it's difficult to determine the fluids velocity, AND also very difficult to determine the numerous areas from which the fluid is leaking... it makes it difficult to make an accurate estimate.

Not trying to defend BP... but I'm pretty sure they didn't focus a ton of efforts on determining the amount that was leaking out. Shutting it off seems like more of a priority.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They know the cross sectional diameter of the pipe, they know the pressure, they know the temperature and the density of the oil; they can even guestimate the viscosity. They have the pressure of the line. They have all they need to offer a damned good estimate of mass flow rate out of the pipe.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    The best thing to do is ignore most of the info being released. Every little fact that is released is bent, twisted, and mutilated beyond recognition by the media. The 5000 bopd number originally came from a government agency, not BP. Then some genius "scientist" who was quoted in the media yesterday saying it was really 70,000 bpd now says he didn't know there was natural gas coming out as well as oil. Sounds like a real expert doesn't it?

The media will find any warm body who will give a quote, then present the info as data; it isn't, it's noise. The main thing to focus on is stopping the spill, however much it is.

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    The best thing to do is ignore most of the info being released. Every little fact that is released is bent, twisted, and mutilated beyond recognition by the media. The 5000 bopd number originally came from a government agency, not BP. Then some genius "scientist" who was quoted in the media yesterday saying it was really 70,000 bpd now says he didn't know there was natural gas coming out as well as oil. Sounds like a real expert doesn't it?

The media will find any warm body who will give a quote, then present the info as data; it isn't, it's noise. The main thing to focus on is stopping the spill, however much it is.

+1. How many truly experienced professionals from the oil industry have gone to the media with their opinions? I haven't yet seen a single report from anyone whose opinion I would consider educated and informed. (If I missed something, please point me to it. I like reading :) ) I'm an engineer by trade, so I question most of the technical data that comes from the media because I understand just how many variables are involved in a situation like this. Just my $.02 :cool:

Top Bottom