Brady Center Pays For City To Fight OC Suit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I have a friend on another forum who is close friends with this lady.
    Most of you have probably heard about this story, this is just the newest wrinkel.
    I could care less about how a person carries their weapon. It is about the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/122844030261750.xml&coll=1

LEBANON - The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has offered free legal representation to Lebanon County to defend against a $1 million lawsuit brought by Meleanie Hain.

Hain is the Lebanon woman who wore a loaded gun on her hip to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in September, raising concerns of other parents. Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo revoked her license to carry a concealed weapon, but his decision was reversed by Lebanon County Court Judge Robert Eby.

The case has drawn national attention.

Hain sued DeLeo, the sheriff's office and the county on Nov. 24 for reimbursement of attorney's fees, lost wages and emotional distress. Her attorney, Matthew Weisberg of the Philadelphia area, said Hain's baby-sitting business fell off after the publicity and she has been ridiculed by her neighbors.

Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said it is "a case that calls out for common sense."

"It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game," he said.

Pennsylvania law allows carrying a concealed weapon with a permit. But it is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm, making it de-facto legal, according to the Web site of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association.

The Brady Center, based in Washington, D.C., is "the nation's largest grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence," according to the group's Web site. It is named for Jim Brady, President Ronald Reagan's press secretary, who was wounded along with Reagan outside a Washington hotel in 1980.

Vice said the organization offers free legal assistance to law enforcement agencies involved in gun-rights lawsuits. It successfully represented the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police in defending a lawsuit by gun lobbyists who attempted to strike down Pennsylvania gun registration, he said.

In the Hain case, "The final straw was seeking $1 million in damages when law enforcement was just trying to keep people safe," Vice said.

Weisberg described Hain's fight as David confronting Goliath in her struggle for individual rights.

"We have been fortunate to cause Goliath to fall time and time again, hard," he said in an e-mail. "Neither our client nor I am afraid, hardly. We welcome and fully expected a vigorous defense; we are prepared and wish amicable and professional dealings with opposing counsel. We are ready."

Hain had not heard about the Brady Center's offer but said, "If they're offering their services, it must not be a small thing."

She said the lawsuit is not about her but defending Second Amendment rights.

"I'm just a mom who happens to carry a gun," she said.

Lebanon County commissioners said they would have to check with attorneys and their insurance company before deciding whether to accept the Brady Center's offer. MONICA VON DOBENECK: 832-2090 or mdobeneck@patriot-news.com

Art

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hain is the Lebanon woman who wore a loaded gun on her hip to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in September, raising concerns of other parents. Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo revoked her license to carry a concealed weapon, but his decision was reversed by Lebanon County Court Judge Robert Eby.

Inbeforeeveryonefreaksoutaboutocingwithaconcealedweaponspermit.

Maybe the NRA should offer her legal council.:mamoru:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a friend on another forum who is close friends with this lady.
    Most of you have probably heard about this story, this is just the newest wrinkel.
    I could care less about how a person carries their weapon. It is about the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/122844030261750.xml&coll=1

LEBANON - The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has offered free legal representation to Lebanon County to defend against a $1 million lawsuit brought by Meleanie Hain.

The case has drawn national attention.

Hain sued DeLeo, the sheriff's office and the county on Nov. 24 for reimbursement of attorney's fees, lost wages and emotional distress. Her attorney, Matthew Weisberg of the Philadelphia area, said Hain's baby-sitting business fell off after the publicity and she has been ridiculed by her neighbors.

Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said it is "a case that calls out for common sense."

"It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game," he said.

Pennsylvania law allows carrying a concealed weapon with a permit. But it is silent on the legality of openly carrying a firearm, making it de-facto legal, according to the Web site of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association.

The Brady Center, based in Washington, D.C., is "the nation's largest grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence," according to the group's Web site. It is named for Jim Brady, President Ronald Reagan's press secretary, who was wounded along with Reagan outside a Washington hotel in 1980.

Vice said the organization offers free legal assistance to law enforcement agencies involved in gun-rights lawsuits. It successfully represented the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police in defending a lawsuit by gun lobbyists who attempted to strike down Pennsylvania gun registration, he said.

In the Hain case, "The final straw was seeking $1 million in damages when law enforcement was just trying to keep people safe," Vice said.

Weisberg described Hain's fight as David confronting Goliath in her struggle for individual rights.

"We have been fortunate to cause Goliath to fall time and time again, hard," he said in an e-mail. "Neither our client nor I am afraid, hardly. We welcome and fully expected a vigorous defense; we are prepared and wish amicable and professional dealings with opposing counsel. We are ready."

Hain had not heard about the Brady Center's offer but said, "If they're offering their services, it must not be a small thing."

She said the lawsuit is not about her but defending Second Amendment rights.

"I'm just a mom who happens to carry a gun," she said.

Lebanon County commissioners said they would have to check with attorneys and their insurance company before deciding whether to accept the Brady Center's offer. MONICA VON DOBENECK: 832-2090 or mdobeneck@patriot-news.com

Art

this line right here annoys me. i wish i had the powers that the anti folks do to know when i'll need a gun or not.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    It's ridiculous to bring guns to Iraq, didn't they know peace and love would win the war?

Brady Group = ****ing idiots!

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm kind of torn. She had every right to have a gun on her. The police department F'ed up by causing problems for her. BUT is she really owed $1,000,000. She's not really fighting for the 2nd amendment, but for the money. I can't say I blame her, I want more damn money too, but she's just damned greedy. And while the police did screw up by not understanding their own laws, their intentions where to keep the other parents feeling safe and they did what they thought was the right thing at the time.

altimar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Lafayette
    BUT is she really owed $1,000,000. She's not really fighting for the 2nd amendment, but for the money.

I can see your point, but she sued "for reimbursement of attorney's fees, lost wages and emotional distress... Hain's baby-sitting business fell off after the publicity and she has been ridiculed by her neighbors."

We can only guess at how much she had to spend on lawyers already, her small business has been permanently damaged, and now she's the neighborhood "gun nut". What is all that worth to you? More than likely, she'd never be awarded more than half that (if anything) and the lawyer would then get a *nice* cut. I hate frivolous lawsuits as much as anyone, but IMHO, this is one is probably legitimate if a bit high.

A lot of people will say that she could have avoided the whole situation by CCing, but the fact remains that she did nothing wrong other than offend some infantile anti-gun adults, and she was made to pay dearly. I think the more OC incidents that happen can bring more light onto the subject and educate people about its legality. On the other hand, that could catalyze a ban on it, so I dunno...

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I'm kind of torn. She had every right to have a gun on her. The police department F'ed up by causing problems for her. BUT is she really owed $1,000,000. She's not really fighting for the 2nd amendment, but for the money. I can't say I blame her, I want more damn money too, but she's just damned greedy.
    That's a subjective thing... I can see where one might think she's being greedy. On the other hand, her reputation no doubt WAS hurt. Plus, maybe when ignorant, anti-gun politicians feel the pain of paying off huge settlements enough times, they will wise up.

And while the police did screw up by not understanding their own laws
    Stop RIGHT there! No more need be said.

their intentions where to keep the other parents feeling safe and they did what they thought was the right thing at the time.
    WRONG! Their job is to KNOW AND ENFORCE THE LAW! "Intentions" don't play a part in it. See what happens to a lawful CCW holder with the "intention" of protecting those inside a US Post Office if they carry concealed in there, get caught, but didn't know the law prohibiting CC in a post office. They become guests of the Fed for 5 years, period. Law trumps intentions, every time.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    "Intentions" don't play a part in it. See what happens to a lawful CCW holder with the "intention" of protecting those inside a US Post Office if they carry concealed in there, get caught, but didn't know the law prohibiting CC in a post office. They become guests of the Fed for 5 years, period. Law trumps intentions, every time.[/B]

I didn't know that was prohibited.

As for wether or not she is justified, the Million dollars was probably a figure thrown out there by a lawyer looking to make a nice check. Any amount would be symbolic. The difficulty is that she has indeed suffered losses, and fair compensation will be hard to calculate.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I heard Melanie Hain on a radio program. She carries because she's the wife of a very successful cop - so successful that he, the wife, and all their kids have constant death threat worries. Her 3 kids are toddlers, with one weighing about 20 lbs, but not yet walking. The reaction time for her to let go of all the kids AND draw from concealment became too much of a worry for her (and she does have a concealed carry permit). OC became her primary means of carrying , especially when she had her kids around.

She seems like an ordinary mom who happens to pack a gun. The million dollar figure was her attorney's idea. Look for them to settle.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    She carries because she's the wife of a very successful cop - so successful that he, the wife, and all their kids have constant death threat worries.

Good, glad to know that the money they get out of the lawsuit will go to a good cause; namely, a family with an LEO in it.

Malibu makes a great point... how many times have we seen extreme violence at youth sporting games?? Parents running out of the stands and assaulting/beating little kids, referees, coaches, and even shootings in some rare cases... If you haven't ever been to a little league T-ball game, you should go. You'll definitely be carrying after you see how most of the parents act.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    "It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game" UNTIL SOMEONE TRIES TO BEAT YOU TO DEATH!

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?s=9284132

Suspect Arrested In Deadly Soccer Assault

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 11:06 AM CST

Updated: Nov 3, 2008 09:53 PM CST

FEATURED VIDEO

Suspect Arrested In Deadly Soccer Assault

Police arrested 16-year-old Edgar Saucedo on Monday afternoon at Memorial High School.

By Chris Wright, The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- A 16 year old who was attacked after a soccer game has died. Eduardo Ledesma passed away Monday morning, and another teen now faces murder charges.

Eduardo's soccer coach says Ledesma was a talented player and a wonderful kid who did not deserve to have his life end like this.

"It's a situation you hope you never face," said soccer coach Ryan Bush.

Ryan Bush coached Eddie Ledesma for the past three seasons. In addition to playing for the Bixby High varsity team, Ledesma also played on Bush's club team in Sand Springs.

"He had a lot of potential. He would have gone on to play at the next level if he had wanted that opportunity," said soccer coach Ryan Bush.

The avid soccer player was playing for a third squad, a church league team, when that potential was wiped out on Saturday.

Tulsa Police say after the game wrapped up, Ledesma was suddenly attacked by a bystander. He was punched several times in the head before his assailant took off. Authorities say the attack left Ledesma brain-dead. He was taken off of life support Monday morning.

"Whole life in front of him. It's just one of those tragic things that don't really know how to deal with and cope with at the time," said soccer coach Ryan Bush.

Tulsa Police believe another teen, 16-year-old Edgar Saucedo is responsible.

Bixby students say the two had argued at a Halloween party the night before. Saucedo attends Memorial High, and that's where he was arrested Monday afternoon.

"The loss of this young man from Bixby is a tragedy of unspeakable proportions, and our thoughts, prayer, we mourn with the family," said Tulsa Public Schools Superintendent Keith Ballard.

Coach Bush says his team will have a tough time getting over the loss. The squad practices year round, and without Ledesma, he says it won't be the same.

"It's not like a team, it's like family. We lost family today," said soccer coach Ryan Bush.

Saucedo is facing second degree murder charges.

The Bixby School District has set up a fund to help the Ledesma family with funeral expenses. Anyone who wants to help can donate at any Citizens Security Bank.

Art

Top Bottom