Brandished firearm escalated argument ?; CHP holder arrested

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Am I missing something, I read the atricle twice and did not see one mention of the guy having a CHP. Only mention was from the OP.

In my opinion, the bus driver is wrong, he never should have pulled the gun. If you aren't man enough to walk away from a guy who yells something at you, you shouldn't be carrying. Especially if the other person is playing basketball with his daughter.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The CHP holder came out with the handgun exposed.

I read all the articles and didn't find any mention of Mr. Dooley holding a CHP. Did I miss it or was the mention of a CHP just a conclusion? :confused:

hmmmm... I can't find it either, other than the title of the OP and the follow up posts by members, which is what my comments (relating to that) were based on. maybe he didn't have one.

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    the media wants you to believe that anyone who pre-meditates carrying a gun is always looking for someone to shoot, thus guilty ahead of time.

notice also that they say he "marched" outside as opposed to simply walking. :rolleyes: obviously the reporter wasn't there to see the manner in which he transported himself to the basketball court, yet he tries to create a picture of a man on a mission by saying he was marching.

+1

Let's just say GUN OWNER in all of my comments to avoid confusion. IMHO, the CHP permit is not a grant of right, it is simply an official recognition of a God given unalienable right to self defense, extended to carrying a firearm.

It certainly does read in this article (and most articles I come across by our fair & balanced media), that anyone who owns a gun likes to hang out in dimly lit rooms, curl their mustaches, and plan wanton acts of murder on a daily basis. Thus my first post in the thread. Even though the "victim" made the majority of the aggressive moves in the story, the gun owner is written up as the bad guy.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I can't believe this, both parties did things that they shouldn't have done, but I think he will have a hard time proving self defense I think.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I just re-read the OP and the linked article and there is no mention of a CHP. We will have to ask schnugee where he got that from as he was the 1st to post mentioning a CHP.

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    IF (big if) the shooting happened in the way the article says, CHP or not (I didn't find it either), what that guy did was criminal and just plain stupid. I hope they throw the book at him. He gives law abiding gun owners a bad name.

If you take all the emotional triggers out of it, you still have a guy who pulled a handgun when there was no need to. He escalated the situation. I don't care how much someone yells at you, you can't shoot them....well not legally ;)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I just re-read the OP and the linked article and there is no mention of a CHP. We will have to ask schnugee where he got that from as he was the 1st to post mentioning a CHP.

the title of the OP is where I saw it first.

Brandished firearm escalated argument ?; CHP holder arrested

don't get me wrong, I think dude is a douche and should have stayed in his house, my comments are about how the media negatively portrays us as owners of firearms, not about whether or not the "bus driver" is right or wrong.

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was using the term CHP because of the title of the original post. I stand by my posts thus far, just use GUN OWNER where I mistakenly wrote CHP.

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forgive my stroll down memory lane, but most of my weapos training comes from the military, where a part of my duties was as an armory attendant. Part of our job description was keeping weapons / access to weapons away from bad guys. This may be slanting my perspective on the situation. I was typically armed to perform my duties. If someone came into my armory yelling and showing signs that they were emotionally upset, I would probably take hold of my weapon, and possibly even draw it depending on how much of a potential problem I thought the individual to be. My goal is to get them out of the armory with the least force possible, but my duty is to prevent unauthorized access to the weapons. If in my judgement they were intent on seeking unauthorized access to lethal weapons under my care, lethal force was authorized. I never had to draw my weapon while on armory duty, but several times I had a hand on the weapon and was ready to draw. Most situations were diffused with a simple calm, verbal requst for the individual to step out of the armory.

That being said, a public park is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITUATION from a military armory, but I wonder how much the same principle applies. Regardless of the possibly poor decisions that led up to ths point, if someone is trying to overpower me and take my weapon away, I'm not just going to surrender it and hope it all works out ok. So IMHO the victim is the one who did more to escalate the situation.

For example, if I am having an arguement with someone who I happen to notice is armed, I would do my level best to keep the situation calm, especially if I was there with a younger member of my family. If the armed person started walking away, I wouldn't feel the need to try and get the last word in for any reason.

Both parties in the article made seemingly poor choices, unfortunately one of them is now dead. In this case, dead seems like a very permanent solution to a very temporary problem.

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    The man is guilty. As a CHP holder, or even just a person carrying a gun, you should NEVER initiate a confrontation. You do everything in your power to deescalate or avoid situations where drawing you firearm would be necessary. At least, that is my philosophy. I think the man should be charged with more than just man slaughter.

If he had a problem with the kid skateboarding, then go address it and leave your gun at home. Better yet, just mind your own damn business and keep your big mouth shut.

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    For example, if I am having an arguement with someone who I happen to notice is armed, I would do my level best to keep the situation calm, especially if I was there with a younger member of my family. If the armed person started walking away, I wouldn't feel the need to try and get the last word in for any reason.

I hear you bud, but you have to take into account that the man INITIATED the argument by coming out of his home and interjecting into a situation that had nothing to do with him. He could have just as easily not gotten involved.

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agreed, the gun owner could have just stayed home and not gotten involved. However, I think this is why most cities are in such poor shape crime wise. All manner of bad things go down and folks in the community just stay home and don't get involved. Then they ask the LEOs to do the impossible job of cleaning up the streets without any community involvement.

I think I must respectfully disagre with you on this one.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Agreed, the gun owner could have just stayed home and not gotten involved. However, I think this is why most cities are in such poor shape crime wise. All manner of bad things go down and folks in the community just stay home and don't get involved. Then they ask the LEOs to do the impossible job of cleaning up the streets without any community involvement.

I think I must respectfully disagre with you on this one.

What you said is true, but it isn't like he witnessed somebody getting beat up or mugged. It was just a kid on a skateboard. And he even had the courtesy to ask the guy playing basketball if he minded if he used the court. To me, this isn't a offense that warrants a community activist to intervene with a gun.

Now if the victim grabbed the skateboard and starting cracking the kid over the head with it, then sure, go ahead and get involved.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    yeah but he was also OC'ing which is what prompted the other guy to ask about the gun while he was walking away. If his gun would have remained unseen I doubt this would have escalated. he knew what he was doing; he allowed the gun to be seen and it proved a provocative move on his part. it just didn't turn out how he hoped it would.

All right. We get it. You hate Open Carry. Noted.

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    I really do think that both parties are morons. Who yells at a guy with a gun after he goes to leave? Who pulls a gun because some guy yelled at you?

Morons, that's who.

Legally, however, I think the shooter should be held accountable for what went down. He didn't need to pull the gun. He could have kept walking away.

I also need to add that all this is based off what the article says, which could be totally wrong. The skateboarders could be gang members thus giving a good reason for the guy to bring a gun. The dead guy could have gang ties and the daughter and skateboarder lied about him trying to leave. Who knows?

I do agree about the article painting gun toters in a bad light. I also agree that the article clearly has some bias. That makes me think that there is more to the story.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I read all the articles and didn't find any mention of Mr. Dooley holding a CHP. Did I miss it or was the mention of a CHP just a conclusion? :confused:
    hmmmm... I can't find it either, other than the title of the OP and the follow up posts by members, which is what my comments (relating to that) were based on. maybe he didn't have one.
    It's was the link in post #5

I added as a link in my OP.

:)

Top Bottom