Breaking in a new gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rooda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Dallas via Bunkie
    What do you feel is the approximate number of rounds you need to shoot to break in a gun? Difference between handgun vs long gun? Bolt vs semi?

My question was originally for semi handguns but the idea does seen to extend across platforms. Also, since I am not specifically defining "break in" by a characteristic, I am leaving it up to each poster to outline their thoughts.

So, what is your opinion?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That will vary with gun types and brands. Like asking what is the height and weight of people worldwide.

Silver03gt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Harvey, LA
    I dont know the exact break in ways but the day I bought my gun I only put 60 rounds through it. I went to the range twice before I cleaned it for the first time.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Factory, off-the-shelf semi? Just shoot it. No break in needed. Custom guns are another story and builders have their own methods.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Custom guns are another story and builders have their own methods.

If my customers ask about breaking in their rifle I tell them the bore has been coated with a special thixotropic polymer designed to stabilize the conveyance of particles across the annulus and that the buildup of said particles is entirely dependent on twist rate and bit size......I mean bullet size. (Oilfield hands will get that one)

A rifle barrel will break in whether you try to do it or not. There is no "proper way". There is an IMPROPER way to clean it however so the best idea is to just go shoot it and only clean it when accuracy falls off. Generally the rifles I build will start to shrink group size in 80-120 shots, but that's generally also the amount of shots it takes most people to work up a good load, so draw your own conclusions. My personal rifles only get the bore scrubbed every 500 rounds or so and I've yet to see a drop in accuracy before cleaning.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    Buy some ammo, take gun and shoot it till you are tired or out of ammo. Clean gun if you want, at least lightly oil. Repeat for rest of your life or gun's life.

Top Bottom