Browning Auto 5 - Belgian made

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I was given my recently departed father-in-law's old Browning Auto 5 over the weekend by my mother-in-law. Aside from giving it a good cleaning, is there anything in particular that I need to know about this shotgun and any peculiarities that it may have? I have to admit, the last time I used one was in 1998, so I kind of forgot anything that I have known about the Auto 5 and I was more familiar with the BPS. In a way, I want to go skeet shooting with it!:D

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    Make sure your brass friction ring is still there, a lot of them get lost or forgotten over the years. It makes a big difference in recoil.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yes they are inherently dangerous and life threatening when used to shoot skeet! You should donate it to me and I'll dispose of as it needs to be done properly. LOL

No I'm just kidding. Sounds like you got a sweet shotty. Just make sure you keep it clean and check the barrel for the chamber size and stick to what it says and you should be good to go.

Word to the wise... I'm assuming that it is an older model (Pre 82) and if it is you may want to think twice before you shoot steel shot (duck hunting) through it as the barrels weren't designed to shoot the harder steel. (they were designed to shoot softer lead)

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    The bronze friction ring must be turned one way for low brass shells, and the other way for high brass/buckshot.
    If you have this installed wrong, the gun kicks very hard, and the forearm will crack.
    Here is a link to an owner's manual for the guns made in the '80's.
    Except for the interchangeable chokes, the guns are exactly the same.
    http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/11-bfa-382-a5-om.pdf

There should be ***'s stamped into the barrel. Those are the choke designations.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    And, If I remember correctly, steel shot will eat up a Belgium barrel. The Japanese barrels are ok though. Verify that, of course, but I seem to remember that being an issue back in the day. Great shotgun though!

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette

Thanks for the link. I'm guessing a recoil spring and friction ring are in order.

Also, thanks everyone for the rest of the replies. This shotgun will not see steel shot as long as I own it. In fact, I'm more than likely going to stick to #8 and #9 loads for skeet shooting. Besides, I purchased an 870 Express Magnum in 1999 as a "cheap" waterfowl gun, and shockingly, it is still going strong.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Nothing shocking AT ALL about an 870 still going strong. They are about as tough as they come.

If you would have heard all the flack I took for not going with a Wingmaster, you'd understand. My position was that I was not going to take the premium version of the shotgun out into the marsh when I could easily ruin 2 Express Magnums for the cost of one Wingmaster. Let's just say I had bad luck with shotguns and hunting in the marshes near Pecan Island. My luck was so bad that by the end of my last hunting lease both my uncle and myself would bring two shotguns each, just in case both of mine went down again.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    They do have a leather buffer that can go bad over time,....I believe.

Nope, no buffer.

You can add a Jap barrel mod choked or more open or Invector/Inv. Plus barrels or a Hastings barrel and shoot all the steel you want in it. The Hastings barrels are very good and are back in production for the A-5. Also if the rings are set right the A-5 is a rather soft shooting gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom