Browning X-bolt ammo preference

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hokie74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Assumption Parish
    Got a new Browning X-bolt in .223. Sighted in with Wolf 55 gr. FMJ. Looked good. 1-1/2" groups at 100 yd. Wanting to hunt with it so I got some Hornady 75 gr. HPBT rounds. Groups went up to 6"+. Looks like the bullets are passing through the target with some yaw. Apparently the twist isn't compatible with the Hornady rounds. Need recommendations for deer hunting round. 150# deer at <150 yd.

Last edited:

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    It seems that your rate of twist in your rifle may not stabilize the heavier Hornady bullets. I would try the Winchester 60 grain partitions. You need a sturdy bullet that will mushroom and mostly stay together (not a varmint bullet which will disintegrate on impact). Look on the name brand ammo web sites and find a bullet that is 55-62 grains and has a picture of a deer by it! Federal Fusion should stay together, too. Best luck!

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Did you break the barrel in correctly ? Browning gives specific instructions on how to break in an X-bolt and to remove copper fowling during and after break in period. I broke my X-bolt in by there book and with nosler accubonds .270wsm I can key hole at 100 yards

Top Bottom