BS Gun Show feedback thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    OK, so I want to hear from those of you who attended. What could we have done differently? What did you like? What did you NOT like? etc. I have really thick skin so fire away.

I'll start by addressing a few things before people chime in:
    1) I can't do it anywhere else. The event was held at the place where I work my day job. Unless somebody has a venue in a "better" location that is close to free, this is all I've to work with.
    2) I know there weren't all that many "vendors" but it was not advertised to the public beyond BS.com and I did not go out looking for people to fill space. I had no interest in making money off of the event so I didn't look for garbage vendors to fill space and pay for tables.
    3) When we planned this out, I had no intention of doing it again beyone this one event. I had a great time and think this thing really has potential to be a good event, not a "dream catcher, beef jerky, jelly candle, airsoft gun, blow gun, stun gun, etc." filled event. I would love to have seen more collectors being their collections just for show and maybe to trade. If there is enough interest, we can do it again and try to make it better.
    4) In an effore to keep the cost for vendors down, we asked that they provide their own tables. I didn't really catch too much crap about that but if people want us to provide tables, we can do so but the cost will be added to the vendor fee. Vendors will have to commit and pay at least 2 weeks in advance of the show with a non refundable "table deposit". I would be more than happy to do it if there is a demand for it.

Alright so with that being covered, let me hear it...

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    'Twas great. I got there @ 3:30.

So, I went to Pete's on Johnston and had a "few" with some old friends.

When you get to my age, "old friends" means really, really old.

Why was there no after-show "happy hour" ? (Hora Feliz, Pablo) Had I realized the gunshow was over, I couldda stopped at the church deal @ Butte la Rose. A Cathoic Church in the Atchafalaya Basin would certainly have had cold adult beverages.

leVieux

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    *I did not attend*

Location, Location, Location

It seems like we have a lot of concentration of members in the NO-BR-Northshore-Hammond-River Parishes etc areas. Anyplace closer I think would be better to attract more folks. The actual place IMO doesn't have to be fancy, could be a lodge or something else low-rent like that.

As mentioned before you're not going to please everyone, and I know you're looking for a different crowd, but I don't know if hosting it the same day as one of the big Kenner / Gonzales etc gun shows is a good idea as many BSers and dealers/sponsors attend those as well.

Also it would be nice to get someone like Waggenspack or some other dealer to bring a nice selection of low priced new Glocks, etc.

And perhaps, based on the threads, having it for a shorter period of time instead of all day may help some people out. 10:00-2:00 instead of 8-3. It would push everyone to be there around the same time, whereas I read some folks got there later on to find it had emptied out.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hopefully the next one will be two days? Or on a Sunday, I wanted to come but I have to work every Saturday

As for a two-day affair, the only "table folks" you're going to attract for that are those who do it for a living... i.e., the gun show circuit guys.

But a two-day venue? Probably not a good idea, IMO.

Or have the next one on a Sunday

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    A bonus was getting Jeremy's blood pressure up on the trip in (we took a quarter-mile detour, which somehow morphed into an incredible journey on the re-telling), and him delivering my lunch as ordered (no steenkin' pickles). Of course, there was nothing ELSE on the sandwich, either... but no sense in carping on that... :D

And who eats french fries with BBQ sauce??? God intended french fries to be eaten with ketchup! But we won't go there either...

Talk about GRUMPY!!!!!!!!!
    :ninja:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I went to this thing solely to support it and the board. I took some surplus-to-needs ammunition and goodies, and sold a surprising amount of same. A bonus was getting Jeremy's blood pressure up on the trip in (we took a quarter-mile detour, which somehow morphed into an incredible journey on the re-telling), and him delivering my lunch as ordered (no steenkin' pickles). Of course, there was nothing ELSE on the sandwich, either... but no sense in carping on that... :D.
    Oh but there was somethin' on it. :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I missed it. Youngsville is a long way from Metairie to go to a gunshow though. I'd love to see one someplace closer. BR/Gonzales area would be more convenient for lots of people.

I do miss the old style gun shows. Not many just used guns any more. Lots of antiques, lots of new, but not many just old guns. Not many parts either.

French fries should have ketchup. Chilli cheese fries are good, but still with ketchup. BBQ sauce? I don't know. A friend of my wife's puts mayo. Now that is just gross. If you listen carefully you can almost hear the arteries clogging... then again this is the same girl that made dip for tortilla chips with nothing but salt and sour cream...

butterfly

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Walker (Livingston Parish)
    I thoroughly enjoyed the show even though I wish there had been more people there. It was nice to not be bombarded by all the candles, dream-catchers and other junk. Enjoyed talking to like-minded people instead of always hearing garbage from liberal gun hating idiots who won't understand what the 2nd amendment is for until it's TOO LATE! Right now though I want to find out where you have posted the wonderful prize I have won with the ticket I have that most assuredly has the winning number on it. :bravo:

Top Bottom