BS Spyderco LINK & CODE INSIDE. **SOLD OUT**

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you be interested in a custom Bayoushooter Spyderco?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Folks,

Without going into detail, I learned today the blades will be produced with hollow ground and not full flat.

I've been advised that they should be ready to order within a week or so. They are expected to arrive for distribution next week and will be QC checked then placed online for ordering.

To be honest with you spanky the grind looks more like a saber (scandi) grind than a hollow grind which is the typical grind for the endura and emerson endura. So I wouldn't even state they are hollow grind.......

Honestly I would prefer hollow grind but I am doubting that is the case. You might want to clarify that as well.....

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    So what's the functional difference?

hollow grind = tactical badassery. outward flare of blade diverts blood and guts away from operator during rapid slicing of enemies.

also, the blade is weaker possibly allowing for breakage upon contact with bone or titanium hip joints, allowing the operator to leave a calling card with his opponent that will hopefully also cause a nasty infection.

Eddie117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Toronto
    Folks,

Without going into detail, I learned today the blades will not be produced with full flat grind.

I've been advised that they should be ready to order within a week or so. They are expected to arrive for distribution next week and will be QC checked then placed online for ordering.

Sorry to hear that. I was really hopping for a full flat grind, since it will make it a better slicer and weighs less. The knife still looks bad ass nevertheless.
    Btw do regular members such as myself included in the discount :D

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Correct.

I'm rolling the coupon out over a 24 hour period to sponsors then gold then silver then premium then the rest of the populace. that was the only way i could figure to fairly distribute the code and still give a little incentive to those that contribute to the site.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Combination; plain front half, serrated back half. And a flat grind; the hollow grind takes more time and effort to sharpen.

While a plain edge is better for most plebian, everyday cutting chores, I have twice relied upon my carry blade to fix a real bad situation... and both times the serrated edge did the job MUCH better than a plain edge would have. I'm not talking about using a knife to defend myself against another person; I have no illusions in that regard, and I carry guns for such situations. But a serrated edge will gnaw through tough stuff (in my case, wire-cored rope and pine tree branches) much quicker than a plain edge.

Our beliefs are all products of our experience. I will not have a main carry knife that doesn't have at least a partially serrated blade. I also keep a SAK in my pocket for fine cutting chores. But if I need to whack something in a hurry (and I have, on two occasions), make mine serrated.

Oh, I'll buy one of these... perhaps two. But I won't carry it. Maybe the next one, eh?

This is the blade option I want as well...
    The one time I really needed to rely on a knife to cut a seatbelt, we were given some of those "J hook cutters" to try out, supposed to be sharp as a razor and it was not, seatbelt bunched and you screwed the pooch. Pull out a knife with a serrated blade and that blade do't give a **** if there is a bunched seat belt or not, it will cut through.

please make my vote half and half...

rycen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Combination; plain front half, serrated back half. And a flat grind; the hollow grind takes more time and effort to sharpen.

While a plain edge is better for most plebian, everyday cutting chores, I have twice relied upon my carry blade to fix a real bad situation... and both times the serrated edge did the job MUCH better than a plain edge would have. I'm not talking about using a knife to defend myself against another person; I have no illusions in that regard, and I carry guns for such situations. But a serrated edge will gnaw through tough stuff (in my case, wire-cored rope and pine tree branches) much quicker than a plain edge.

Our beliefs are all products of our experience. I will not have a main carry knife that doesn't have at least a partially serrated blade. I also keep a SAK in my pocket for fine cutting chores. But if I need to whack something in a hurry (and I have, on two occasions), make mine serrated.

Oh, I'll buy one of these... perhaps two. But I won't carry it. Maybe the next one, eh?

Not disagreeing with you with combo edge but in the knife community combo edge is not very popular.Can you tell me how the grind of the blade affects sharpening the edge?

Sounds as you would have liked this version better

IMG_4146.jpg

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Sounds like you two need to carry pocket saws.... :rofl:

:rofl:

Well if everything goes as planned and the knife sells well Spanky and I discussed following up with a full serrated version..... I am of the mentality it is all or nothing. I don't really like half one or the other..... In regards to sharpening the hollow grind it should be no more difficult then any other grind. Should be using the same angles and if anything if your trying to go more acute angle it will be less steel to remove. IMO VG-10 is an awesome steel. Corrosion resistent and just the right hardness. Good combo between edge retention and ease of sharpening. Everyone is moving towards really hard steels which are great at retaining their edge however IMO a pain to sharpen once they become dull. I can spend less then 5 minutes on semi-dull VG-10 blade and get that thing hair popping.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Folks, the knives obviously didn't make it before Christmas but they should be coming VERY soon.

I just want to remind everyone I will be incrementally rolling out the discount code. If you are not a donating member you will be getting your link and discount code up to 24 hours after those that are based on their membership level.

I haven't decided which increment it will be rolled out but Sponsors and Gold members will be first, then Silver, then Premium, then everyone else.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Folks, the knives obviously didn't make it before Christmas but they should be coming VERY soon.

I just want to remind everyone I will be incrementally rolling out the discount code. If you are not a donating member you will be getting your link and discount code up to 24 hours after those that are based on their membership level.

I haven't decided which increment it will be rolled out but Sponsors and Gold members will be first, then Silver, then Premium, then everyone else.

So, where will "people who are not necessarily paying members but hard working staff" be on that list?? :rofl:

Top Bottom